Loader stopped working on one side

bigmarley98

Equipment
LX2610
Dec 3, 2022
Gays Mills, Wisconsin
I was doing some work today with the Grapple and all of a sudden my loader was crooked. When I checked it the left side cylinder for curl was loose on the loader. The other right works and the bucket will curl, but no mater what position it is in the left side cylinder is loose and I am guessing has no power. Since the right and left are connected with a T, there must be input power so not a loose coupler. No leaks I can see.

I was doing some heavy work, and heard a metallic ping/snapping sound just before. I am guessing I damaged the cylinder. Does this sound right? Can this be fixed or do I purchase a new cyclinder?

Speed25

Equipment
L2501(sold) - BX25D
Apr 23, 2024
NC
If you're not leaking fluid, I'm guessing you damaged the piston/seal or snapped/bent the piston rod inside. Even though I used to rebuild and repair hydraulic cylinders, motors and pumps for a living many moons ago, I'd probably replace the thing. Once the tractor is up and running, I'd take the old one apart to see if it's something easy to fix. If it is, I'd put it on the shelf as a spare for the next time something happens, otherwise, it goes in the scrap heap.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yep you've more than likely broken the cylinder rod, because if you has just broken the piston it very likely would not curl at all.
Pull it apart and inspect.
Post some picture, we all enjoy a little unscheduled tractor carnage.

Reactions: 1 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I was doing some work today with the Grapple and all of a sudden my loader was crooked. When I checked it the left side cylinder for curl was loose on the loader. The other right works and the bucket will curl, but no mater what position it is in the left side cylinder is loose and I am guessing has no power. Since the right and left are connected with a T, there must be input power so not a loose coupler. No leaks I can see.

I was doing some heavy work, and heard a metallic ping/snapping sound just before. I am guessing I damaged the cylinder. Does this sound right? Can this be fixed or do I purchase a new cyclinder?
Not quite following that.

The right side cylinder works properly?

The left is "loose" on the loader. What does that mean?

If the seals and/or piston in the left cylinder failed there would be no pressure for the right.

Dan

Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Not quite following that.

The right side cylinder works properly?

The left is "loose" on the loader. What does that mean?

If the seals and/or piston in the left cylinder failed there would be no pressure for the right.

Dan
After some thiught maybe the threaded stud and/,or nut on the end of the rod failed.

Dan

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Yep you've more than likely broken the cylinder rod, because if you has just broken the piston it very likely would not curl at all.
Pull it apart and inspect.
Post some picture, we all enjoy a little unscheduled tractor carnage.
I would think that the op could fully extend the rod if it or the retaining nut were broken because the piston would push against the shoulder on the rod. He wouldn't be able to retract it though. Does that make sense?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I would think that the op could fully extend the rod if it or the retaining nut were broken because the piston would push against the shoulder on the rod. He wouldn't be able to retract it though. Does that make sense?
Yes that is a possibility too, and probably more likely. ;)

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
It will retract when the good side pulls the bucket back. If separated from the piston (likely) its probably doing a number on the bore at the same time.

Edit: For the right side to still have retract pressure the stud end of the rod has to still be in the left piston. If it were not there would be a massive fluid leak. If the valve uses fast dump (regen) the hole would not prevent dump from operating.

Dan

Last edited:

bigmarley98

Equipment
LX2610
Dec 3, 2022
Gays Mills, Wisconsin
After some thiught maybe the threaded stud and/,or nut on the end of the rod failed.

Dan
By loose - there was no pressure on the pins on the left side cylinder - there was "play" meaning the cylinder wasn't putting pressure on the pins on that side.. After closer inspection I totally missed something - the bar accross the boom on the quick hitch is bent. Whatever I did bent that bar, and now the two sides are uneven. All the weight essentially is on the right. Called my dealer and I am going to have to bring it in - they will cut the bar, straighten it, put it back in along with another reinforcing bar along side it. Looks like I am out a week.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
By loose - there was no pressure on the pins on the left side cylinder - there was "play" meaning the cylinder wasn't putting pressure on the pins on that side.. After closer inspection I totally missed something - the bar accross the boom on the quick hitch is bent. Whatever I did bent that bar, and now the two sides are uneven. All the weight essentially is on the right. Called my dealer and I am going to have to bring it in - they will cut the bar, straighten it, put it back in along with another reinforcing bar along side it. Looks like I am out a week.
I dont see how that accounts for the loss of force on the left side pins.

The cylinders are in parallel and will sync to one another as soon as pressure builds. They will be extended different lengths but will both be exerting force on the bucket.

If both cylinders are working and the problrm is just the SSQA is twisted remove the bucket, drive the tractor over to a stout tree, and push against it with one pad to bend the pads into alignment. This is a common problem and easily fixed without cutting and welding.

Dan

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users