Loader interchangeability

nglauer

Sep 28, 2017
US
Hello, my father currently owns a BX24 with Backhoe, Loader, 60"mmm, and PTO bagger system. I had thought about buying a newer BX with the loader control valve and adding loader brackets so I could just borrow Dad's loader. I was told by the local dealer that the only model that it would work on was another BX24? I've looked at other models and the brackets sure look the same as well as the hydraulic hook ups, until the newest models. Is my local dealer wrong? I just can't imagine them changing it that much over the models years since the BX24? If I can't use his loader I will probably look at the B series and L series. Most likely the L series because I have a backhoe from a skid steer that I believe could be converted to fit the larger B or L series.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. My local options are Kubota (BX, B, L), LS, Mahindra, John Deere (1000-3000 series), Yanmar and Massey Ferguson (GC, 1500 and 1700 series). I looked at the models above from everyone. Of all of them I just can't get past the looks of the Mahindra or the fact that every used one on the lot is terribly faded and hasn't aged well. We also have a Rural King that sells their own branded tractors (TYM?), and I believe a Branson dealer... although they may have shut down.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

nglauer

Sep 28, 2017
US
I guess I asked this same question back in October. I've been shopping around for awhile, just shocked that the loader from Dad's BX24 won't fit. I found a decent deal on a few used B series tractors and a really good deal on a JD 2025R. However, I haven't checked with my bank on what type of financing options they have. I have a feeling it may be more economical in the long run to buy a new machine with a decent down payment vs trying to finance a 5+ year old machine.

So let me pose a different question than my first. If you could go back, would you have chosen a B series over the BX, or went with an L series over the B? I have fairly flat property and believe I can get away with a RFM vs MMM. I also have a medium duty 5ft brush hog a 6ft back blade, and a 7ft box blade, and a post hole digger from my Farmall 504. I can cut the back blade and box blade down to narrow them if needed. Based on these implements and the need to mow and use a loader, which tractor would you choose?

75% it'll be a mower

20% it'll be used as a wheelbarrow and to do some digging and moving of brush and dirt on the property.

5% it'll be used with the other implements

Dad's BX24 has done just about everything we've asked of it over the years, but I think a larger tractor would be beneficial. I also have a backhoe attachment from a New Holland l445 skid steer that I believe could easily be adapted to fit a sub compact to compact sized tractor. It appears to be identical to a Case D-100, which I've seen adapted to many tractors.

Thanks again!
Nick

100 td

Equipment
B21TLB (B21, TL421 & BT751) Toyota SDK4 T116 Bobcat
Aug 29, 2015
ɹǝpunuʍop
75% it'll be a mower

20% it'll be used as a wheelbarrow
5% it'll be used with the other implements
Each to their own, as no one can tell you what you want.
My thoughts

75% mower
You going to spend most of the time mowing, buy for that reason alone, meaning get what you need and want in a mower.
Then make a compromise on the rest, so put up with things being a little slow or no quite right for the rest, as long as you can achieve them.

Consider trailering your fathers machine when you need it for the hoe etc. Your call, your money.

Charlie5320

Equipment
BX2670
Jan 8, 2018
Springfield, IL.
I was on the fence about a B or a BX too. I finally decided to go with the BX and an so glad I did. All I really needed was the BX, but thought why not step up to the B series. Glad now that I didn't buy the B series tractor, would have been more than I needed. If I needed a BH, I would rent one, sure don't want one sitting around in the way, and wouldn't want to mow with the thing on the tractor. I even had my son-in-law remove his loader when I mowed his property a few years ago while he was layed up. I only need the loader on mine a couple times a year, and it's in the way.

nglauer

Sep 28, 2017
US
I agree with that. Dad's loader and backhoe set idle a lot, however the loader does get used a decent amount. I think I could get away with a BX, however I do plan to maintain more land than dad currently does with his BX, and will eventually be maintaining his property as well. I have a few big goals with our property in regards to cleaning it up, smoothing it out and getting rid of a large number of dead trees. So as I achieve these goals I'll end up with more area to mow/maintain. I also want to put in a small pond and will need a small loader for some of the dirt removal.

Thanks again!
Nick

nglauer

Sep 28, 2017
US
Each to their own, as no one can tell you what you want.
My thoughts

75% mower
You going to spend most of the time mowing, buy for that reason alone, meaning get what you need and want in a mower.
Then make a compromise on the rest, so put up with things being a little slow or no quite right for the rest, as long as you can achieve them.

Consider trailering your fathers machine when you need it for the hoe etc. Your call, your money.
We live on the same 15 acres section of land. I own a hoe, just nothing to mount it on lol. I have 0 intention of buying one since I can borrow his or potentially mount mine on another tractor (forget who manufactured it, but brackets we available to adapt it.

Yes mowing is top priority, and I think something with larger tires may ride better than the BX (perhaps I'm wrong). I could get a MMM with a B series, but if I understood the dealer the L is rear PTO only? I'm pretty sure I would get more use out of a RFM, as I could back up under some of our massive pine trees and shrubs to cut the grass around them.

Thanks again,
Nick

Jimc3165

Equipment
1982 B7100 HST-D
Jul 22, 2015
CLEVELAND, GA
That BX will do more than you think. I had a M4900 before and had 16 acres now I have a 1981 B7100 and can do waaay more than I initially thought I would be able to do. The 25hp BX with a MMM and a hoe and loader would probably take care of all your wants and needs but you will have to decide and go for it.

nglauer

Sep 28, 2017
US
I'm sure the BX would cover most of my wants, but I wouldn't be able to use my other implements. I have a 5 foot brush hog that is medium to heavy duty and very long, I do not think that the BX could pick it up. If I could get away with using dad's loader on a new BX, I could justify buying some of the smaller Implements specific to a BX sized tractor.

kenmac

Equipment
B26 with hyd. thumb and 4 in 1 loader bucket and EA Grapple, but not the wicked
Dec 14, 2015
Pell City, Al.
My $.02............If you think a BX will do most of your work, I'd suggest stepping up to a B at least. Most people aren't complaining about having too much tractor, but you do hear many wishing they had gone bigger. One size larger than you think you need is usually more in line with reality. Good luck with whatever your choice is.;)