Loader Control Issue

dtimber

Equipment
1985 L2550 w BF400FG loader and Woods BF750G Backhoe
Oct 20, 2014
Cape Neddick,Maine
Kind of a newbie here. I just up-sized to an L2550 DT with a BF400G loader. The contols for the FEL have started to act up. Basically no down pressure, slow up speed unless just the right spot is found with the lever. Today I took the controller apart, cleaned it out and re-assembled. Before I did this, the controller had started to feel crunchy when I pushed it forward to lower the bucket. Now the crunching has gone away, the up control is still not right and I still don't have down pressure.

Thinking I need to rebuild the valve controller - new seals etc. I believe this unit is no longer available. Does anyone else sell a re-build kit? I've changed out the hydraulic fluid and filter as well.
Thanks.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Did you pull apart the detent portion of the valve?
That's the part in the cup and the opposite the control rod portion?
The only seals on the valve is to keep fluid from leaking externally there are no internal seals, so no "rebuilding" the fluid portion of the valve.

Also does it have quick disconnect on the lines?
If it does, it's quite common for those to become plugged with debris and effect operation.

Swap up and down lines with curl lines and see if operations change places.

If the issue follows the swap, then most likely your problem is the valve side of the quick disconnects or the valve itself.

If the issue stays in the same place then it's the hose side of the Quick disconnects or internal cylinder seals.

Most commonly lift issues are cylinder seal based and not valve based. ;)

dtimber

Equipment
1985 L2550 w BF400FG loader and Woods BF750G Backhoe
Oct 20, 2014
Cape Neddick,Maine
we took the detent part of the valve apart, took the balls out and springs etc.
The behavior of the loader is weird. If you bring it back to raise the bucket, it goes very slowly, unless you move the lever forward and find a spot where it raises normal speed.

This did not do this right after I brought it home. I goofed around with it for a few hours moving rocks and stuff. We got snow and when I went out to plow, it started acting funny.

Now since we pulled the control valve apart and reassembled, the crunchy feeling it had when you pushed the lever forward is gone. Strangely there's one spot when you push it forward to lower where it suddenly raises the bucket for a second. When you lever the control past that, it lowers again, but not like it did when I first ran it. It would power down and raise the front wheels. Not any more. It justs clunks down on the deck.

It does have quick connect fittings. We'll take a look at those. I also changed the hydraulic fluid as I had no idea when it was last done.

I am not familiar with the type of hoses you're recommending, but I will look into it. Thanks.