Load bearing wall??

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
I like those counters.

Thanks buddy :) gonna be a few days yet before they get installed.

Working on fixing the bloody ceilings. Thinning down joint compound and rolling it on the ceilings to hide the imperfections.

To sum it up. It Sucks!!! :rolleyes: But they will look good when done.

Here's the kitchen ceiling.

Here's the living room. You can see it in the various stages of drying.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Daren, I've heard the expression about watching paint dry, but now it's watching joint compound dry!

Man, you and the wife will be ready for a long road trip with that fancy decked out travel trailer, and forget all the work you've done on the house.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Daren, I've heard the expression about watching paint dry, but now it's watching joint compound dry!

Man, you and the wife will be ready for a long road trip with that fancy decked out travel trailer, and forget all the work you've done on the house.
Absolutely :D:D We will be painting either today, but definitely tomorrow :D Got the dining room ceiling to do, but that's only 10x8. A little touch up on the living room ceiling. And wife and I will tackle the walls the same way, since we had so many nail holes and dings to fix. The joys of having teenagers :rolleyes:

Dish man just left. Had them come out and add a face plate and jack on the other end of the living room. And add a face plate and jack where the cable came through the wall originally. Nice thing about the face plates is no holes to patch :D:D

So the filling holes is done :D:D:D On to cleaning up and getting it finished :D

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Paints going on :D living room ceiling is done. Just got the kitchen and dining room to go :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
One of my customers does spray texture. Seems in the near future he may be doing my ceilings in whole house.
We just scraped all of ours off :rolleyes: still got 4 rooms to do, but those won't be as bad. Attic wasn't vented properly for the first 28 years. So moisture got to it, and it started flaking off. We did the bathrooms a few years ago. Bedrooms won't be bad. Will just take a couple days to clean up the ceilings and repaint. Problem is cleaning all the crap out of them :)

Laundry room will be the worst. Will have to move the freezer to the garage. And dig out the washer and dryer. When we get ready to do the floors, it's gonna suck. Will have to pull the water heater to be able to scrape the linoleum. Will have to shower in the camper for a bit.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Love the blue paint Daren!

When I think of the stuff that needs to be done to my house I think it would be easier to tear it down and start over. Used to be a granary, hand hewn beams are key structural elements, then it was the hired man's house, two stories square, then some one story new pieces were added about 50 years ago. Second floor is not level. Has something sort of like a concrete cistern embedded in the core of the house, only accessible from an attic crawl space? There is a long underground tunnel from the basement used as a shooting range by a previous owner. Very strange. I really would like my kitchen fixed....to replace the oven which doesn't work would require a complete remodel. It's embedded in a brick wall and they don't make that size any more. There are an amazing number of things that can be done with a microwave and a toaster oven :eek:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Sheepfarmer. The blue paint was a screw up. That's getting redone today. :eek: wife was trying to match what was in a friends house since we both liked the color. They goofed and gave us the wrong paint number :rolleyes:

So we just sprung for 5 gallons of paint we both agree on, and will match what we have planned for the floors and back splash.

Our house was a rental for about 20 years. So interior doors are cracked and patched. Base boards looked like they went through a war zone.We had the "Granny" style galley kitchen. Being tall the soffit and cabinets came down to my chin. So it was a pain to talk to someone while cooking. Counter tops were a 1/2" sheet of plywood with a sheet of laminate stuck to them. Then had a coat of white counter top paint.

Btw, I love those old style houses with the cisterns in them. Installed security systems in a couple places that had them when they were being remodeled. Those folks spent over 100k on the remodels. Places were gorgeous when done, but dang, the time and energy involved was unreal.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Here's the color change. We wanted to repaint the cabinets darker.

Plus a better fit for what we had planned for the floors.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
That color's nice too, lighter, kind of toward a lavender grey? I am a big fan of both blue and lavender, and with my quirky sense of humor kicked over the traces when I had to move my office and lab into some really dirty dingy not painted in 20 years-space. I painted my office lavender instead of the awful institutional mint toothpaste green, and painted all the lab drawers a series of 5 different blues, dark navy for the bottom big drawers to pale blue for the small top ones. Medium blue like yours for the cupboard doors. It looked really nice especially relative to the previous diarrhea brown. Never understood why schools paint all their rooms and halls roughly the same drab colors. Paint doesn't seem to cost any more with different colors.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Color wouldn't have been my first choice. But I wanted it lighter in the house since there isn't much natural light. Floors are gonna be a darker stained concrete. We haven't quite settled on a plan for that yet. Beams are gonna be stained similar to the fire place mantle.

Goal is to get the rest of the stuff taken care of, then figure out what will pop with the rest of the decor :D

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I prefer the lighter shades now that the eyes are fading. The Mrs prefers the dark greens and browns. Just repainted a short hallway,an even darker green. Good thing switch plate is white, would never find it.

Its really coming along, looking better with every photo.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Just ran to town for pizza, wings, and cabinet paint. Wife's gonna have them painted tonight.

Next is to mount the countertops and sink :D

The bar top will be mounted later. We gotta do the back splash on the knee wall before its mounted.

Knee walls around the bar are gonna get faced with wood to tie in with the beams. Plus with grand kids, I could see them kicking holes in the drywall :rolleyes:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Back to cussing :rolleyes: sink base had one board on the side that had a bunch of water damage. Board was separating and looked like hell. Went to replace it and found more water damage. :mad: cabinets are one piece, so no easy way to just pull one cabinet and replace it. So, a new sink cabinet, and a 24" base cabinet are gonna need to be picked up :rolleyes: plus a 1 or 2" filler piece :mad:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Picked up the base cabinets today. Was hoping to reuse the existing cabinet doors so every thing matches. well.........the width was right, but the height of the new cabinet doors are 1" taller. :rolleyes: They will get used for now, till we can order new doors to match. Hopefully I'll be mounting the cabinets tomorrow, and my wife can get them painted. Then install the countertops and sink thursday. The bar top will get installed after we get the back splash done, which will have to wait a week or too. The budgets starting to cry!!!!!!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
The budgets starting to cry!!!!!!
Daren - the basic thing of a kitchen or bathroom job is give until it hurts, then you know you've gotten started!!! Hell, if you're just cryin'......

When the budget is unconscious and unresponsive, you're ALMOST done!!:eek::eek:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Daren - the basic thing of a kitchen or bathroom job is give until it hurts, then you know you've gotten started!!! Hell, if you're just cryin'......

When the budget is unconscious and unresponsive, you're ALMOST done!!:eek::eek:
Yup, the ol' budget is screaming uncle :p:p Just had to drop my wife's back splash budget on a couple of base cabinets instead :rolleyes: I'll get the cabinets installed tomorrow, then the two main countertops installed thursday, along with the sink.

Then the rest will get done over the next several weeks. I am gonna get a case of outlets though, and and new covers this weekend. And go through and replace the rest of the outlets and light switches