Liquid filled tires

L.C. Gray

Equipment
L3400, RTV500
May 14, 2016
Stephenville, Texas
It would be easy to do right out of a hose if you were just adding water, but you prolly need to add antifreeze to it and that puts you to where you'd have to have a pump setup. Its easier to just left the tire guys do it.

I'm strongly considering the Gel route for all 4 tires on mine. Heavier than water, never have to check the air or fix a flat again, but kinda pricey to do on the bigger tires. I wavered for a long time before getting front tires on my other tractor and the tires on the shredder done, but after spending the $1,000 on 4 new tires and the Gel, I wish I had done it years ago.

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
Do you have an Ag tire service in your area? At my dealership we charge $2.35 per gallon for "Rim Guard" or beet juice.

Pat

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Filling rear tractor tires is easy. I filled many tires when I was employed by JD dealer. I filled my M7040 & JD 4255 rear tires. Adding concentrated PG anti freeze is also easy with tire jacked up,air removed turn valve stem to bottom(6 o'clock position) place funnel on valve stem adapter then pour in AF rotate tire then attach water hose, turn on water faucet turning off every 5 or so minutes to bleed air from valve stem.

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
I was going to fill my rears and bought the adapter to do it and some antifreeze. My plan was to use a short piece of hose with the adapter, use a funnel in the hose, and with the tire stem at 6:00 slowly pour the antifreeze in the hose, then turn the stem to 12:00 and fill with water. I was only planning on doing 2 gallons of antifreeze per tire though, you'll need more than that in Michigan.

It turns out that the weekend I was planning on doing it the salesman called me at lunch time on Saturday saying that they forgot to fill the rears and would come the next week to do it. They had to come out and add a rear hydraulic valve after delivery so I guess they wanted to wait until after that before filling the rears.

You probably don't need a very elaborate pump setup. A drill-powered pump would probably work, and depending on how much antifreeze you'll need to pump one of those siphon pumps with one of those squeeze bubbles like is on boat fuel hoses may work. If I needed much freeze protection and there was a place close by that would install it I would just bite the bullet and get Rimguard.

Dwarner

Equipment
B7610 HST, Woods 6500
Aug 3, 2012
Enfield, CT
I filled my tires with washer fluid. I bought the fill adapter and used a funnel but found it slow. What I found worked very easily was using 1/4" ID fuel line, drill 2 holes into the washer fluid cap. The larger hole was a snug fit for the 1/4" hose which was pushed to the bottom of the 1 gallon container. Next compressed air was blown into the container through the small hole. Only a minute or so per gallon including the burp. Tire valve was as 12 o'clock.

CountryBumkin

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370 w/LA243, Bucket, Grapple, QA Pallet Forks, 60" MMM, rear blade & rake
Sep 27, 2015
Central FL
I filled my tires with washer fluid. I bought the fill adapter and used a funnel but found it slow. What I found worked very easily was using 1/4" ID fuel line, drill 2 holes into the washer fluid cap. The larger hole was a snug fit for the 1/4" hose which was pushed to the bottom of the 1 gallon container. Next compressed air was blown into the container through the small hole. Only a minute or so per gallon including the burp. Tire valve was as 12 o'clock.
Two questions:
On my tractor, I went to check the air pressure in the rear tires (with valve stem at 12 o'clock) and I'm getting water out of the valve. Is this normal? The rear tire pressure is 14 psi. I have 20 psi in it, and still getting water out of valve stem when checking pressure.

I don't know how much water was put in by dealer, but I would not expect it to be 100% full. (And it looks like straight water. I'm in FL so freezing is not an issue). Should I be concerned about corrosion of the wheel with straight water?

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
Figure out how much antifreeze you want per tire. Connect a garden hose to the tire adapter. Use a funnel and pour the antifreeze into the other end of the hose. Connect the hose to a hose bib. Turn on the water and the antifreeze can only go into the tire.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Two questions:
On my tractor, I went to check the air pressure in the rear tires (with valve stem at 12 o'clock) and I'm getting water out of the valve. Is this normal? The rear tire pressure is 14 psi. I have 20 psi in it, and still getting water out of valve stem when checking pressure.

I don't know how much water was put in by dealer, but I would not expect it to be 100% full. (And it looks like straight water. I'm in FL so freezing is not an issue). Should I be concerned about corrosion of the wheel with straight water?
If the tires were filled to the valve stem with the tires off the tractor, now with the weight of the tractor on the tires the water will be forced above the valve stem. The amount of air pressure you put in the tire will not force the water down below the tire stem as the water is not compressible.

There are gauges for checking the pressure in water filled tires. Here is one: https://www.amazon.com/Milton-Tract...sr=8-1&keywords=tire+gauge+water+filled+tires

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Holy Repeat Batman lol.

Was kind of you guys to answer all these questions again!!!

As someone with 15ish years under my belt as a moderator, have seen so so so often good-hearted, very active, helpful folk; the ones to always step in and kindly answer questions on boards like this, get burned out from answering the same damn things over and over and over.

It is these helpful folk that make a forum great. Please say thank you to them often.

With that being said........ we need them happy to come here and feel they are burning out. Have respect to these kind folk and search first.

PS- moving this to the Tire forum where there are nineteen additional threads in this Tire forum on topic of "water fill"

Last edited: