Lining the mower deck??

Jim Bud

Equipment
B2650 HST, 60"mmm, LA534 FL, 72" rear blade
Nov 8, 2017
Sedalia, CO
I have heard of people lining the inside of their mower deck with spray on liner to make it easier to clean the underside of the deck. Does anyone have any experience doing this? Since I am getting a new 60" mmm deck, this would be a great time to do it before I use it the first time.....
Thoughts??

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
I have also read this on different forums. Goes against my belief " hard & slick surface = no grass stick VS soft rubbery = stick. However read the undercoat idea enough times I am would like to hear first hand experience. Might be a part of this not in my equation!

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
I've used both Fluid Film and Lanox to coat the deck after thoroughly cleaning it. Both lasted for several mowings and I could use a garden hose instead of the pressure washer to remove what little grass did stick.

My concern with linings would be the chance to get small voids in it and trap moisture between the coating and the steel deck.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
That was my concern as well, they why I dont do anything just clean it off and shoot the cheapest paint I can find on the underside,, done that to ever mower deck I have had, never a rust though in over 40 years

eddiebob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2680, JD 40
Mar 23, 2014
Poplarville, Mississippi
I use the paint on bed liner on my decks. The area I live has very sandy soil. I paint it every winter when the deck comes off for maintenance and every year I can see where the sand has eaten the liner away. Works good for me! Ed B

MainelyScott

Equipment
2016 BX1870
Jan 16, 2017
South China, Maine
I've always cleaned the mower deck at the end of the season and then thoroughly sprayed the whole underside with WD40 and have never had any rust problems. Did this on my John Deere lawn tractor and 15 years later still no rust.

Brewer

Oct 4, 2011
Australia
Don't bother with anything fancy - just paint them with used engine oil. I learned this trick from other mowing contractors and I'm constantly amazed how well it works. All my decks have a beautiful non stick surface, and rarely need cleaning.

thedevilyoulove

Equipment
L3901 HST with LA525 FEL, Land Pride RCF2572, pallet forks, 3 pt carry all
Jan 27, 2016
Woodbine, Maryland
Don't bother with anything fancy - just paint them with used engine oil. I learned this trick from other mowing contractors and I'm constantly amazed how well it works. All my decks have a beautiful non stick surface, and rarely need cleaning.
I have never heard of this but I am going to try it. Thanks!!