Liberty Mutual Stands With You TV Commercial....

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
....Ticks me off.

Well, it pisses me off, but we want to keep ourselves PG-rated...

Built around a Mom saying Liberty Mutual helped her teenaged-son when he had a flat tire on the side of the road?!?!?:confused:

Shows another teenage boy not sure what a lug wrench is, because his insurance doesn't have road-side assistance for a flat tire?!??!:eek:

Shouldn't Johnny be able to change his own tire?:confused::confused:

Shouldn't Mom be able to call Johnny if SHE has a flat tire on the side of the road?!?!? I was there for Mom, Grandmother, Grandfather......:cool::cool:

I will admit that sometimes it takes a little time to find the jack and spare now-a-days, but.....geez....

How many of you guys and gals couldn't change a flat tire at 17 years old???

Bet I hear crickets..........and that's a good thing....:cool:

It's a sign of the 21st Century, and I'm not liking it.......:(

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Re: Libert Mutual Stands With You TV Commercial....

I feel your pain brother.....
Remember - I am around these lovely chaps all day - they do not know the importance of a pencil, much less a pad to write on.

Now I am sure there is a cellphone app that will change the tire for them!:p

One of my son's cars (about 10 years ago) would not start......
told me it had a bad alternator, that is why it would not start - I just shook my head......he had left his lights on, but it was THE ALTERNATOR that was the problem:eek:

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas

All my kids had to be able to change a tire BEFORE we would teach them to drive.

Even my daughter who weighed about 90 lbs had too. She wasn't very happy about it, and there was lots of cussing involved :rolleyes: But she did it. :D

Laughed my butt off when she had to show one of her guy friends how to do it :D

Now I had to buy a 2ft breaker bar for my wife and daughter with the proper socket. Neither one had enough butt to loosen the lug nuts.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO

One of my friends daughter had a flat and I asked if she had any trouble changing the tire (she knows how), she said no, I didn't change it. I asked her why she didn't change it, she said that some nice boy stopped and did it for her.

So not all of the young people are in that boat of not knowing how.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia

By 17, I was a professional mechanic, at 18, I was hired by Yamaha Motor Corp as a FSM. I was doing engine rebuilds at age 12 (with guidance).

So yeah, the commercial shows a moronic kid that needs to go back to first grade. Perhaps the goal of the commercial was to show that only idiots need to buy their insurance?:rolleyes:

SRG

Equipment
B8200D 4WD........ JD 870, FWA, 300x FEL.......... JD 797, 72" Z-Trak
Jul 15, 2017
N. IL
I've thought the exact same thing about that commercial. It really delves deeper into societal issues, than just a teenage boy not being able to change his own flat.
I've told myself when my daughter turns driving age, she will already know how to change a flat on her own.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Not long ago I saw a teenage girl limping along on a flat. I stopped alongside her at a light and she rolled down her window, & asked me for help because "There's something wrong with my car." I got her to pull over and showed her the flat tire- she was shocked. She said "I didn't know that could happen- do I need to buy a new car now?":eek: I told that I would show her how to change the flat tire so she could do it herself in the future. She seemed attentive & willing, so I proceeded, only to find she had no lug wrench or jack. No problem, we will use mine. When I let the car down off the jack, I explained that I will next tighten the lug nuts, and even had my "X" handle on one of the nuts, when it started to rain. Her car was under a gas station roof, but my truck was out in the rain with the doors open. I said "Hang on, I'll be right back, just need to close my truck."
I did so, but when I turned back she was driving away. My wrench flipped off after about 50ft, but I'm guessing she ruined the wheel, studs, or both.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The problem is the parents! Who is suppose to teach these beautiful little babies that are brought home from the hospital with the fear of falling and the fear of loud noises, and clueless about most everything else?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Well here's a funny story, kind of the reverse. My folks were divorced when I was 10, and my mom picked out a little house to buy that had a little pasture in the back, and got me a horse, sort of a consolation thing since I was seriously horse crazy. She had no experience with solo home owning, nor with doing it on a very restricted budget. That first Xmas I was looking for something to get her, and picked out a screw driver set. She didn't do the best job of feigning delight, and in retrospect I get it. But to a little kid if you don't have any tools in the house it is logical :eek:. My dad wasn't all that into repairing stuff but he did have a work bench and some tools, and we needed some.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
I've thought the exact same thing about that commercial. It really delves deeper into societal issues, than just a teenage boy not being able to change his own flat.
I've told myself when my daughter turns driving age, she will already know how to change a flat on her own.
My Daughter (Now in her 30s and married) Knew how to change a tire, change oil, Replace brake/rotor...etc. long before she was driving age.

Indeed, I bought her an empty toolbox when she was about 5 years and 'donated' to it for many years until she took it with her to college.

To this day, she has more tools and mechanical aptitude than her husband.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Most of them have smartphones, why don***8217;t they look it up on YouTube how to do it?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
It truly is a shame, I may have related this before I dont know. One holiday the wifes clan was her for dinner. The husband of one of her Grand daughters came in fuming that he had a flat tire and how much it was going to cost him to get it fixed and towed and so on. Now this young man is highly educated, or at least I thought so. I asked what was wrong with his spare? A rather funny look crossed his face as if he was trying to understand something that he thought he should know about. SO we walked to his car, he knew nothing about where the jack or wrench or spare was located.
No worries, he stood there I dug it out from under a pile of, stuff, books and papers and GKW. And jacked up the car and took the wheel off, and so doing found a nail. OMG he was having a fitm I need a new tire and bla bla bla,, Dude chill!!!
He followed me into the garage, and I pulled the nail and got the plug kit cleaned out the hole and stuck a plug in, pumped it up ,put it back on and said there ya go good as new. He never said a word just stood there and watched me.
They left and a few weeks later, she told me, that on the way home, her hubby asked,, how does your Grandfather know this stuff?
She said he know lots of thing, and he know where lots of open mine shafts are too.

Silly girl,,,,lol

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Well folks, we live in a weird time!

About 10 years ago I was doing some maintenance in an apartment. In the bathroom, above the medicine cabinet were 4 lights sockets. Two bulbs were missing.

The guy of the place was a vet of the Iraq war, about 22 years old, married, a child of about 8-9 months old. I told him he needed to get a couple of light bulbs to make it brighter in the bathroom, but do not put anything larger than a 40 watt bulb in there because a larger bulb could overheat and possibly cause a fire.

He said, "Oh, my wife has some bulbs in a bag under the sink." He went looking while I was still busy with something. Soon he yelled, "How do I tell what watt it is?" I thought he was kidding. Soon he asked again.

I had to explain to him what that number was on the rounded glass!!

This guy had gone that far through life, couple of years in the Army. Couldn't you learn that by osmosis?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I am just glad they are 3,000+ miles the hell away from me!!!!:D:)

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
What an advantage I had growing up working at my Fathers gas station! A few of you might remember the days of getting your gas pumped, windshield washed, oil and tires checked all for 30 cents per gallon. Changing a flat tire was a boring job.

KeithG

Equipment
2000 Kubota B2710, Woods BH75 backhoe, LandPride York Rake, B2783 Snow Blower
Jan 1, 2016
Rindge, NH
When I was younger both my twin sister and I learned how to change tires and do minor car maintenance. One day she had a flat tire and happened to be next to a fire station that was open and had fire fighters in it. She took the tire iron and went into the fire station and asked politely "Can anyone show me how to use this?" Seconds later she had a couple of firefighters changing her tire for her. Now that is what I call smart!

Now I must admit I am part of the problem because my wife has never changed a tire or done anything for the car because I do it all for her. This became a problem when the clutch was starting to go (I did not know it at the time) and she could not shift gears (yes she was driving a standard, another lost skill today). So I broke down and bought an AAA membership. Now if anything happens she DOES have an app for that, it calls AAA the come fix the problem and she is on her way... :-D

OrangeGirl85

Jan 29, 2018
Pickering, Ontario, Canada
Well unfortunately I will put my hand up for this... I am in my 30's and can't change my tire... better yet have never tried... But I can definitely maintain BX and a Zero turn.. you take some you lose some. I think growing up in Toronto with a family not big into even basic mechanics I just was never shown the ropes. Any Canadians care to some me!

pendoreille

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2620, fel, RB1560, Piranha Tooth Bar
Jan 2, 2015
Newport, WA
and then there is the "tire store" (tongue in cheek) guy that has rattled the lug nuts on with an impact wrench and has never heard of a torque wrench. Impossible to break loose with two bit factory wrench. Most professional tire stores do not use impact wrench to tighten or get close and then torque the nuts. I always check and also carry a 18 volt 1/2 inch impact wrench. But I also have roadside insurance (AAA).

BXHoosier

Equipment
BX24
Jan 21, 2018
Indiana
Around 20 years ago, a guy my age (late teens- early 20s) at work asked me if I would teach him about engines and how they work. His first question was, What does a water pump do? Seriously? It is in the name. I had no response, just walked away. Class dismissed!

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
I guess we are showing our age. My wife and I react to that commercial about every time it comes on, can't understand how you can use something and not know how to maintain it. That is why I ask so many questions and glean as much info as I can from other's posts. My dad would actually take something new apart just to see how it worked. The times they are a changing, just think when the driver-less cars are the norm. Can't wait for the Charmin commercial for people that don't know how to wipe their own butts.