Lets see those tiller machine pics

redfernclan

Jul 18, 2014
Sweet home, Oregon
Picked up this old tiller for my BX. Front end was kind of light so I fabricated a mount for the suitcase weights. The old owner had it on a JD so I had to shorten the drive line for the PTO. Playing with fire with no shear pin but I only do my property so I know what there. Still on the list for an grade though.

Attachments

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
That looks to be a pretty new or very well cared for tiller. Are you sure there is no shear pin? If not why not purchase a slip clutch from Tractor Supply or other ag supply store and then cut your PTO shaft to fit.

redfernclan

Jul 18, 2014
Sweet home, Oregon
Poor planning on my part. I had to get it shortened and took it to a local shop. Didn't think about it at the time. Now, I would have to have it modified for more money, I know, it's the right way to do it. I'll probably get it done at some point. Anyone know how much a new drive line is with a slip clutch or shear pin?

powersrp

Equipment
B3350
Apr 2, 2017
Indian River MI
If it were my money id go with the slip clutch, one and done, They sell the shafts at tractor supply and farm and fleet stores. Check their websites for prices. Measure 10 times cut once, lol. dont ask me how i know this. I know i cut mine short, but i have 3” of overlap at full down, no problems so far.

Example:
36” pto shaft with slip clutch, $350.00 tractor supply.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

BigG

Equipment
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Poor planning on my part. I had to get it shortened and took it to a local shop. Didn't think about it at the time. Now, I would have to have it modified for more money, I know, it's the right way to do it. I'll probably get it done at some point. Anyone know how much a new drive line is with a slip clutch or shear pin?
To shorten a PTO shaft is pretty easy. Youtube it and you will see. If you add the slip clutch you will need to shorten it some more. You can buy just the clutch and save some money. I would check on line and compare prices for the clutch but somewhere around $100.

powersrp

Equipment
B3350
Apr 2, 2017
Indian River MI
^^^^^^^^[ya beat me to it, i was gonna suggest chopping it and adding clutch also. If you have Rocks, only way to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

redfernclan

Jul 18, 2014
Sweet home, Oregon
Thanks for the advice. I'm a pretty good welder but when I talked to the shop about cutting it down, they explained that it was not just welding a tube onto a yoke. There is a spud off of the yoke that helps strengthen the drive line. At that point I asked how much to have them do it and he said 75.00. I just handed it to him and picked it up the next week.
OK, since I have lots off free time here of late, I'll go shopping for a slip clutch. Thanks for the push in the right direction. I bought the BX new and DO NOT want to destroy it. I have only tilled know plots, but you never know when one works it's way up.
Thank again.

BigG

Equipment
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Thanks for the advice. I'm a pretty good welder but when I talked to the shop about cutting it down, they explained that it was not just welding a tube onto a yoke. There is a spud off of the yoke that helps strengthen the drive line. At that point I asked how much to have them do it and he said 75.00. I just handed it to him and picked it up the next week.
OK, since I have lots off free time here of late, I'll go shopping for a slip clutch. Thanks for the push in the right direction. I bought the BX new and DO NOT want to destroy it. I have only tilled know plots, but you never know when one works it's way up.
Thank again.
I do not know why there would be any welding to cut a PTO shaft down. You simply pull it into the 2 pieces and cut some off of each end. Knowing how much to cut off is the trick. Look up the youtubes. If you weld you have more then enough skills to shorten a PTO shaft.