Leaf/Grass Vac

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
Hello all, I have a good question for the upcoming leaf raking season. Has anyone ever used a Vac on a MMM discharge to shed and collect leaves? Does it do a good job or not worth it? Do you need special blades? I've seen a few nice used 3 point hitch systems with a secondary motor and collection bins. The Vac collection systems mounted on a trailer would seem to be a little easier to dump but I may be wrong. Plus, the 3 pt lifts the MMM so I don't know how that would effect the collector. It would make cleaning up 7 acres of leaves a breeze if they actually work. Not to mention it would be great for composting!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
They make a towable one that could hook to the draw bar. Not sure what kind of adjustments would need to be made to the chute for it to hook to your tractor.
My Dad had modified one to fit a zero turn. I think he just purchased a three foot extension, and cut it to fit the extra lengh, and notched it to fit the deck.

For the blades, they would need to be a high lift blade (straight) so it will really lift and toss the grass. Found that out when i purchased a used bagger for my mower. Had the standard mulching blades and it would just plug the chute. Called the manufacturer, and they were able to hook me up with a set of blades. Made a huge difference

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Any pick up unit with its own motor will be far better than a grass catcher attatched to your deck. Will pack more into the bins. Been researching for collecting my grass clippings and leaves too. My option right now is a lawn sweeper.i plan on pelletizing my yard waste for heating, so a vac isnt the answer for me, as i need to let it dry some before collecting.

OldeEnglish

Equipment
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
If I was to buy one I would attach it to my father's b2910 seeing that he has the property that would need it. Not to mention finding those blades for my 48" MMM would probably be hard to find but maybe not. I'm sure there would have to be a custom mod to attach it, but that's not a problem. My biggest question is how the performance is. Does it clean them up with one pass or does it take a couple few times? Thanks for the input!

OldeEnglish

Equipment
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
Re: Leaf/Grass V

Any pick up unit with its own motor will be far better than a grass catcher attatched to your deck. Will pack more into the bins. Been researching for collecting my grass clippings and leaves too. My option right now is a lawn sweeper.i plan on pelletizing my yard waste for heating, so a vac isnt the answer for me, as i need to let it dry some before collecting.
I agree, the 3 point system I found did have a secondary gas motor! I think it held three 55 gal barrels but that would fill up in no time. Plus my pops is getting old and I don't want him lifting full barrels to dump them so a box trailer modified to dump would be better. I've seen a few in northern tool but they seem way too small for the price. What are you burning your yard wast in for heat? I'm a plumber/Pipe fitter by trade and you caught my attention. Outdoor boiler? Vieseman makes a nice indoor unit that can burn practically anything in any form. I have a high efficient natural gas hydronic system and it cost me around $1500 to $2000 a year in gas. Propane wouldn't cost much more than that, even though it costs more than nat gas it even more efficient. If you can get the fuel for free and you have the time it's money well saved!

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
It works really good with dads mower. He just has to make sure it's good and dry out. I gave up on bagging, and just mulch it with the mower. I have about 20 mature oaks in the front yard. And the leaves get pretty deep. Mulching the leaves in cut down on the fertilizer. I just have to hit it with lime in the early spring to counteract the acidity from the acorns.

OldeEnglish

Equipment
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
It works really good with dads mower. He just has to make sure it's good and dry out. I gave up on bagging, and just mulch it with the mower. I have about 20 mature oaks in the front yard. And the leaves get pretty deep. Mulching the leaves in cut down on the fertilizer. I just have to hit it with lime in the early spring to counteract the acidity from the acorns.
Well that's good to know. My pops is an old Vietnam marine so he likes his place spotless. It's old farm land with stone walls and old sugar maple trees that border it everywhere. To top it off its on a side of a valley so the strong winds bring the leaves over from 1/4 mile away. The leaves collect along the walls like a snow fence and tend to kill the grass. If you don't stay on top of it the blackberry briars start coming back and hide the beautiful stone walls. Pain right in the ass so that's why I'm looking for a smarter way to combat this problem. Will most likely be a winter project custom built. I tend to buy toys or equipment out of season to save money. Just like my snowblower in July for $900 :cool:

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Re: Leaf/Grass V

I agree, the 3 point system I found did have a secondary gas motor! I think it held three 55 gal barrels but that would fill up in no time. Plus my pops is getting old and I don't want him lifting full barrels to dump them so a box trailer modified to dump would be better. I've seen a few in northern tool but they seem way too small for the price. What are you burning your yard wast in for heat? I'm a plumber/Pipe fitter by trade and you caught my attention. Outdoor boiler? Vieseman makes a nice indoor unit that can burn practically anything in any form. I have a high efficient natural gas hydronic system and it cost me around $1500 to $2000 a year in gas. Propane wouldn't cost much more than that, even though it costs more than nat gas it even more efficient. If you can get the fuel for free and you have the time it's money well saved!

I have a pellet in my basement, a second one given to me for my shop.
Spent 1000 on my pellet press, 2500 on the kubota for powering it. It will take a while to recover, but i like the idea of cleaning yard to heat house.

OldeEnglish

Equipment
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
You will make your money back in no time. I know people that spend more than that on heating oil in one season!

OldeEnglish

Equipment
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
Can anyone tell me the model number or part number for a PTO powered vac/bagger for a b2910 with a RCK60-27B mower deck?

Does anyone have one that can give me a run down of it's performance?

If anyone has any other suggestions of a aftermarket setup that doesn't use a trailer I'm all ears. Thanks a bunch!

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Olde English, the beginning of the thread is a couple of years old, so not sure what all you've tried in the meantime, but let me tell you what I tried this fall since I may be in the same boat as your dad. LOTS of leaves, not much muscle power. I did go the trailer route, and it has pluses and minuses. I got a Cyclone Rake with the industrial strength engine and set it up on my old Ingersoll. They have adapters for 3 pt hitches, pretty much anything where the mower blows out on the right hand side can be used. It does a phenomenal job. BUT unloading it where I wanted to compost the leaves was hard. The trailer tilts, but if it is full it is hard to lift. They offer a battery powered lift motor that I didn't spring for, but might next year. I think that would be worth it. When I had a helper to do half the lifting and umbuckling it went really fast. One spends as much time undoing the velcro flaps and unbuckling the chute etc to unload as driving around sucking up the leaves, but it sure beats a rake and a tarp.

Otherwise I can't help with your most recent question :( except to commiserate.

OldeEnglish

Equipment
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
Ms. BoPeep Sheep, thank you very much for your suggestion. I'll check that out. My pops is getting old on me and he has a tough time turning around and looking back while on the tractor so a trailer wouldn't work out so well for him. I mounted some mirrors on the the tractor for him while he mows, but I can see hum jack knifing a trailer. Since I've started this thread I've been paying people to rake at the tune of half the cost of a vac bagger. The last guy quit a 1/4 of the way through this year :p, it's tough to find people that want to work and earn some pocket cash :rolleyes:. So I've decided to nip this problem in the butt and get something that will do the job.

I just wanted to add.... I would rather not have another thing with a motor that I have to deal with storage and ethanol gasoline we have today. It's a pain in the donkey to deal with all the crap I already have every winter. The 2910 puts out 25hp at the PTO so that should be more power than any secondary motor bagger system out there. I think something that empties from the bottom instead of removing each bag and muscle them to empty would be superb. That way he can drop the bottom to empty and push the leaves over the bank where we usually do. Personally I want to start a big compost pile but I need to fence an area in so the crazy winds we get don't blow them away.

Olde English, the beginning of the thread is a couple of years old, so not sure what all you've tried in the meantime, but let me tell you what I tried this fall since I may be in the same boat as your dad. LOTS of leaves, not much muscle power. I did go the trailer route, and it has pluses and minuses. I got a Cyclone Rake with the industrial strength engine and set it up on my old Ingersoll. They have adapters for 3 pt hitches, pretty much anything where the mower blows out on the right hand side can be used. It does a phenomenal job. BUT unloading it where I wanted to compost the leaves was hard. The trailer tilts, but if it is full it is hard to lift. They offer a battery powered lift motor that I didn't spring for, but might next year. I think that would be worth it. When I had a helper to do half the lifting and umbuckling it went really fast. One spends as much time undoing the velcro flaps and unbuckling the chute etc to unload as driving around sucking up the leaves, but it sure beats a rake and a tarp.

Otherwise I can't help with your most recent question :( except to commiserate.

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Yes one does have to deal with another gas powered engine, not my favorite either. I have left mine on the trailer and it comes with its own special battery tender, and I added gas stabilizer. It would prefer ethanol free gas, but will manage on the local stuff. The whole deal can be disassembled and folded up, but I can't lift the engine. I went this route because paid help is unreliable and in the fall you really have to get on it the few days where the leaves are still dry.

As far as jack knifing, this kind can't, it is attached to the mower in two places, but you have to get used to the idea that when you turn left the trailer swings right because the wheels swivel. Sort of like the tractor with a back blade off the back. Once you know this you don't have to look back, but if you forget and try to do sharp turns you can whack trees. So if you can find something else that will work keep me posted, I might be all ears, especially if I could hook it up to my B tractor. Not sure how much longer I can keep the Ingersoll going. In the meantime these do an excellent job.

OldeEnglish

Equipment
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
Google Cyclone Rake. It's the best.
GarciaJoe and SheepFarmer, I have no doubts the cyclone rake is a nice attachment to have and I'm quite intrigued how it's setup, again I thank any suggestions. If it din't have a 8hp gas motor powering it instead of turning it with the tractor's PTO I would buy one for the $1,800 they want. I've searched all over the inter webs and there isn't much out there powered by a PTO, what is out there is close to $3,000 :eek::confused: I would think it would be cheaper having a couple sprockets increasing the RPMs than mounting a motor to an impeller :confused: . I just cant deal with trying to keep another gas motor going every year after sitting idle for 6 months, I have too many things with motors to deal with now. Storage is getting slim nowadays and like SheepFarmer commented I don't want to muscle around a motor to try to fold the thing up. I've got my eye out on a used pto setup but have not been able to get ahold of the guy unfortunately.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I just remembered that the dealer that I got my 2650 from commented that he'd just been vacuuming up leaves at his house and he showed me a picture of the leaves practically in bales. I've just sent him an email to ask what it was he was using. Will report back. At the time I thought boy that looks easier than my new Cyclone Rake, but also maybe more expensive.

OldeEnglish

Equipment
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
I just remembered that the dealer that I got my 2650 from commented that he'd just been vacuuming up leaves at his house and he showed me a picture of the leaves practically in bales. I've just sent him an email to ask what it was he was using. Will report back. At the time I thought boy that looks easier than my new Cyclone Rake, but also maybe more expensive.
Thanks, I'm interested in what he uses. The whole concept seems pretty simple to me, especially for what most of these setups consist of. I know I can build something that would work but it seems impossible to find just a impeller/turbine (or whatever you want to call it). It seems every company must fab their own. I just heard back from a guy that has a 3pt bagger pto powered off a john deere so I'm going to check that out this weekend. If i don't like the bag setup I may build something different to discharge it into thats easier to dump.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
OldeEnglish, might keep you eye open for an Olathe Sweeper. They haven't been made for 20 years so they're getting far and few between. Most of them were self powered and designed for professional use.

I have one, which I further modified, that is PTO driven. There is a shaft with rubber fingers that will pick up almost anything not anchored when you drive over it. Leaves, sticks, alum. cans....

This will give you an idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA7L8aKCdfY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rA7L8aKCdfY Here's another link.....right in Sheepfarmer's yard.

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Here is the reply I received from Tim:

I don’t have an easy solution to offer. *Trac-Vac makes a very nice PTO driven vacuum system but it is a trailer type. *They also make a very nice 3-point mounted system, but it is driven by an engine. *Both of them require getting off the machine to dump by hand. *Neither would be good for your friends needs. *I’m not aware of anything that would suit his needs.

It is not very optimistic, but you might check out Trac Vac in case you could borrow some ideas or parts.

BTW Alderman's in Lennon, MI has entirely been a pleasure to work with.

OldeEnglish

Equipment
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
Thanks sheepfarmer I appreciate your effort. Dcat, there is something similar to that for sale near me but it looks like it needs a much larger tractor to run. Plus it's used, looks like it was used on a golf course, and it seems like a lot of moving parts. Last night I came across this company....

http://www.proteroinc.com/

Seems like it is everything I'm asking for, from what I've found they are around $2500.

I'm going to check out the used bagged this weekend, if it's in good shape I should be able to nab it for a deal considering it's January:p. The guy must have thought I was nuts when I called about it:D