Land Pride PD10 auger

Dad03

Equipment
L3200HST
Sep 17, 2011
Columbia, TN
I bought a new PD 10 when I got my new L3200. I finally got around to my fence. I am in mid TN so the dirt has some clay and rock. I installed 200 lf so far with a 32cc one man auger so I was more than excited to knock it out with the PD 10. My first impression in it is gutless. It has more than enough power but no bite. I don't have the weight assist so it's just the pull of the auger that advances it. Drill 3 holes. First one I keep hitting baseball size rock. I had to pull it up an use a boson ax to break the rocks free and continued drilling it with the 32cc one man auger. The second hole I started the first few inches with the one man auger then put the PD 10 in it. It drill ok I got it full depth. The next hole I started with the PD 10. It took almost a full minute just to bust through the grass. I checked and all the cutters are in tact. I checked the hole an the auger was riding on top a soft ball size rock. I cleared it out with the ax and continued on. Had to stop 5x to loosen up various size rocks from the hole.

I know everything has limitation but shouldn't This auger be more aggressive?
The one man auger seems to perform better.
I was estimating 300 rpm at the PTO would be around 1900 rpm since 540 is at 2500. The PD10 auger is 12". The one man auger is 6".

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Post some pictures of your auger, it would help for people to give advice. A couple of things , does it have the screw point on the end? Does it have the bolt on cutting edge on the bottom of the auger flight? These help the auger "Bite" into the soil and dig.

RobD70

Equipment
Kubota L3800 HST, Land Pride PR1672 Power Rake, Land Pride BB2572 Box Scraper
Feb 22, 2014
Marathon, WI
I bought a new PD 10 when I got my new L3200. I finally got around to my fence. I am in mid TN so the dirt has some clay and rock. I installed 200 lf so far with a 32cc one man auger so I was more than excited to knock it out with the PD 10. My first impression in it is gutless. It has more than enough power but no bite. I don't have the weight assist so it's just the pull of the auger that advances it. Drill 3 holes. First one I keep hitting baseball size rock. I had to pull it up an use a boson ax to break the rocks free and continued drilling it with the 32cc one man auger. The second hole I started the first few inches with the one man auger then put the PD 10 in it. It drill ok I got it full depth. The next hole I started with the PD 10. It took almost a full minute just to bust through the grass. I checked and all the cutters are in tact. I checked the hole an the auger was riding on top a soft ball size rock. I cleared it out with the ax and continued on. Had to stop 5x to loosen up various size rocks from the hole.

I know everything has limitation but shouldn't This auger be more aggressive?
The one man auger seems to perform better.
I was estimating 300 rpm at the PTO would be around 1900 rpm since 540 is at 2500. The PD10 auger is 12". The one man auger is 6".
Well, I am looking at getting a PD25 post hole digger with the 9 and 12" augers. I am sure with the jump to a 12" auguer it will take more force to make it dig decent. After reading about the problems some have with digging, I will be having my salesman price me the hydraulic down pressure kit to right away. I have the remotes on the back, so I should be good to go if the kit is reasonably priced.

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
I am a weekend user, so when I need to get something done, it needs to be now, not over a few days. I have a Land Pride PD35. Some of our ground can be so hard that it would literally take days to get a hole drilled, drill, let water soak in, drill, let water soak in. I ended up purchasing the down pressure kit. There is no hole that has taken me longer than just 2-3 minutes to drill since I got the down pressure kit. I have all size augers from 6"- 24", size does not make a difference any longer, ALL holes are quick and easy.

Highly recommend the hydraulic down pressure kit for all post hole diggers. ;)

Attachments

Last edited:

RobD70

Equipment
Feb 22, 2014
Marathon, WI
I am a weekend user, so when I need to get something done, it needs to be now, not over a few days. I have a Land Pride PD35. Some of our ground can be so hard that it would literally take days to get a hole drilled, drill, let water soak in, drill, let water soak in. I ended up purchasing the down pressure kit. There is no hole that has taken me longer than just 2-3 minutes to drill since I got the down pressure kit. I have all size augers from 6"- 24", size does not make a difference any longer, ALL holes are quick and easy.

Highly recommend the hydraulic down pressure kit for all post hole diggers. ;)
How much is the down pressure kit? I cant seem to find a price anywhere online. I will ask my salesman about it this week, but would be nice to know a ballpark number. Sounds like it will be worth it to save from future grief. I am looking at other implements to, so getting prices in line will help me. Thanks!

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
How much is the down pressure kit? I cant seem to find a price anywhere online. I will ask my salesman about it this week, but would be nice to know a ballpark number. Sounds like it will be worth it to save from future grief. I am looking at other implements to, so getting prices in line will help me. Thanks!
Mine was $500 even at our local JD dealer. BUT that was 7 years ago.

I think that I had read somewhere last year that someone paid about $600 for there's. As bad as that is, when it makes drilling as easy as it does, worth every cent IMO.

You will need to find a return to tank place on your tractor. The hydraulic is a one way system and you will need to have a non pressure return line fitting on the tractor someplace.

Not to change the subject, but what other implements are you considering?:cool:

RobD70

Equipment
Feb 22, 2014
Marathon, WI

I think that I had read somewhere last year that someone paid about $600 for there's. As bad as that is, when it makes drilling as easy as it does, worth every cent IMO.

You will need to find a return to tank place on your tractor. The hydraulic is a one way system and you will need to have a non pressure return line fitting on the tractor someplace.

I got prices from my salesman last week but he is waiting to submit it for the financing as he said they all change Monday, so Tuesday morning we should know what financing offers there is, through Kubots finabcing.

He is what I'n looking at getting....

All Land Pride implements..

PD25 post hole digger with 9" & 12" augers
LR2684 Landscape Rake
RCR1872 Rotary Mower
DH1572 3 Point Disc

Thats to go with the LP PR1672 power rake, RTR1266 tiller, BB2572 box scraper, and PS1572 seeder I have here

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I get lucky, I can sink my auger down 6 feet in about 15 seconds.
I don't have any rock to deal with. :p

I remember trying to drill holes in AZ that was brutal, just like trying to drill concrete! :eek:

RobD70

Equipment
Feb 22, 2014
Marathon, WI

I remember trying to drill holes in AZ that was brutal, just like trying to drill concrete! :eek:

I am in central Wisconsin. You can hit sandy soil, then in another area its some top soil then anything from rotten granite clay, etc....or in some areas it is a clay and rocks blend that make it really hard to do any work at all in it. So while one area might drill good, you can go to somebody elses property and have a hell of a time. This would be my first powered post hole digger. Anytime before they got dug by hand. I do some landscape work on the side so I want to be able to offer post hole digging to.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Mtnview that's that blue thing you have hooked to your PHD?

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.

6'? :confused: That must be one heck of a PHD.:eek: Even with a 14" extension I can only just go down 62" and I have the largest Land Pride PHD that they have. ;)

Dad03

Equipment
L3200HST
Sep 17, 2011
Columbia, TN
I think my issue is the 12 in auger. I realized today if there is a rock on the outter edge of the hole that misses the cutters but hits the edge of the auger it just rides on the rock. Using the 6" one man auger I miss a lot more rocks. I am going to buy a 6" auger for the PD 10. I can get by with the 6". Got to do something I still got about 800 lf of fence to go.

RobD70

Equipment
Feb 22, 2014
Marathon, WI

Salesman today told me $700 for the hydraulic down pressure kit. Hate ot spend that extra now, but I would rather have it so the post hole digger works right now and I dont get the grief of it not working when I need it.