L6060 Master System Warning Indicator

djohnson

Oct 18, 2017
Lyndon,VT,USA
My new L6060 works great. However, on a recent cold morning, I turned to ignition key to ON until the glow plug indicator went out, then started the engine. The Master System Warning Indicator (MSWI) starting flashing and did not go out. I restarted the engine and the MSWI did not turn ON again. After playing around with this I learned that anytime I pause a couple of seconds before cranking the engine, the MSWI always turns ON. If I just turn the key and start the engine, the MSWI does not turn ON. I researched this a little and some say ignore it (NOT), and others say that the incorrect HD alternator has been installed. When I start the engine, no additional electrical loads are on (i.e. lights, widow defogger, etc.). Anybody else seen this problem? Solutions?

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
Uhmmm. Never had that happen while starting my L4060 and I have always waited several seconds for the gauge sweep to complete before starting. We were always required to wait for the gauge sweep to complete before starting ANY of the diesels when I worked in the fire service, otherwise the rigs would throw codes and faults.
I know your issue occurs when you pause, but perhaps it's related to not allowing a full gauge sweep ?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Sure sounds like something is haywire. Before this messes up your regen electronics, get your dealer to fix.

I have never seen this on my L3560, had for almost 3 years. I have asked the techs what it is doing during the gauge sweep, and they have said just let it do it before cranking, they do not know what the software is calling for. My assumption is that it runs the glow plugs briefly. I don't see the glow plug symbol until around 15 degrees F.

djohnson

Oct 18, 2017
Lyndon,VT,USA
More info:
If I crank engine after gauges full sweep, MSWI stays out. If I let gauges do a full sweep and do not crank engine, MSWI flashes after about 3 seconds after full sweep. This happens regardless of temperature (50d today) and remains flashing even after I crank engine. Re-starting engine after gauge full sweep, MSWI stays out.

I will try this again after engine is warm to see if it still happens. Maybe something to do with glow plug module. Definitely not an alternator issue because engine does not have to run for this to happen.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Hmm maybe something has changed in the software/hardware since I got my tractor, so my experience is not relevant. But then I am generally in a hurry so I don't pause after the gauge sweep. If the glow plug symbol doesn't come on I crank immediately. If it does come on I wait until it goes off and crank immediately. Even though we or at least I don't know whether the glow plug control circuit shuts them off immediately after the gauge sweep or leaves them on until the engine is cranked, seems like it would be better to crank immediately. I would guess it would shut them off. These engines are easier to start than older diesels, but waiting until the system has cooled down to crank might be a bit much, and end up contaminating the dpf filter more than necessary. Hence the light. ?????

It will be interesting to hear what you find out, please keep us posted.

Oct 8, 2014
oregon
My guess is your computer, AKA PCM, hasn't finished booting. You could ask a Dealer to flash it if your's is a one off problem. On the other hand you've got to wait for the glow plugs anyway.

djohnson

Oct 18, 2017
Lyndon,VT,USA
Checked yesterday. MSWI still turns on even after engine warm (running 1 hour). To sum it up, anytime I wait more than three seconds after gauge sweep to crank engine, MSWI flashes. I'm going to talk to dealer on Monday. I'll keep you informed.

djohnson

Oct 18, 2017
Lyndon,VT,USA
Problem Fixed. Turns out ECU had error code (not displayed). Reset ECU error and MSWI went away. Service manager at MB Tractor, Tilton, NH very knowledgeable. ECU error probably occurred when disconnecting/ reconnecting battery to install HD alternator. To reset ECU, enter service display by holding display mode button and turning ignition switch on. Select menu (D) to reset ECU. Other menus used to select Metric/English units, Speedo # for tire size, etc.

PaulS-UT

Equipment
Kubota Grand L6060, Backhoe, Big Arse Snow Blower, Box Scrapper, ETC
Apr 25, 2021
Utah
Problem Fixed. Turns out ECU had error code (not displayed). Reset ECU error and MSWI went away. Service manager at MB Tractor, Tilton, NH very knowledgeable. ECU error probably occurred when disconnecting/ reconnecting battery to install HD alternator. To reset ECU, enter service display by holding display mode button and turning ignition switch on. Select menu (D) to reset ECU. Other menus used to select Metric/English units, Speedo # for tire size, etc.
I am having the exact same issue with my Kubota L6060. I have tried clearing codes even though none are displayed. I have tried replacing the Glow plug relay. Cleaned the negative cable where it attaches to the body and replaced the battery. I have talked to two dealers that are not sure what is going on. I plan to bring it into one of them since there may be a (hidden) code that could be setting immediately after clearing but this issue was present when I purchased it at 186 Hours so.... - pretty sure the previous owner didn't understand there is an issue or he would have addressed it under warranty.

If anyone else has experienced this or has ideas to try I would certainly appreciate it - Loading this thing on a trailer and hauling it it in to the dealer isn't my idea of fun.

UPDATE:
After posting the above I have now done more research and found another post that was a little harder to find but after reading it and looking at the brackets referred to in the link and cleaning them, the bolts etc I have RESOLVED my issue!!!

Here is the link and I think it will make perfect sense why the OP thought having the dealer clear codes resolved his issue. I am sure they cleaned the brackets as I have now done but failed to say that.

I will also upload the page of the PDF that talks about cleaning these parts when doing the upgraded alternator.

Enjoy

Attachments

Last edited: