L5740 snow plow size?

robbersroost1

Equipment
L5740
Dec 14, 2012
Peoria Il
Looking to buy a front snow plow for my 5740. Should I go with a 7 or 8 foot plow? I have a heavy 7 foot blade for the back and also a set of chains for the front and back. What would be a good brand of plow to buy. :confused:

robbersroost1

Equipment
L5740
Dec 14, 2012
Peoria Il
With the 8 foot plow it would be easier to plow up against a building or fence with the extra blade width. I have chains front and back, 3 sets of rear wheel weights, and wheels filled with rim guard, also a heavy duty Woods 7 foot three point blade on the rear. Now this L5740 should push snow big time. I'll let you know after the first snow.:cool:

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
I'm running a 7.5 footer on mine. It's a blade I converted over from my truck. Works great. Had it on our 4240 and now the 5740. Just running 800lbs wheel weights on the rear along with the blower and have no issues. Got out this morning to push snow :D

Here's the blade thread.

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1054

Attachments

Last edited:

KenB2920

Equipment
L5240 brush hog,flail mower,wicked grapple,tiller,Danuser F-8 PHD,BB,RB 7' rake
Jun 17, 2011
Almont, mi
Wild fire, in just can't get over how sexy your tractor looks. Younare the reason I want a cab. Just looking at pictures raised the question, does your tractor sit indoors or outside? It always looks like it rolled off the show room floor but I haven't seen it inside.

Just my .02, I plow with a 6 1/2 foot plow with no problems. I assume with your tractor weighing double mine, you can push a 8 footer all day long. Weight and traction are key. I believe these tractors have enough power to move small mountains.

Wildfire

Equipment
Wild fire, in just can't get over how sexy your tractor looks. Younare the reason I want a cab. Just looking at pictures raised the question, does your tractor sit indoors or outside? It always looks like it rolled off the show room floor but I haven't seen it inside.

Just my .02, I plow with a 6 1/2 foot plow with no problems. I assume with your tractor weighing double mine, you can push a 8 footer all day long. Weight and traction are key. I believe these tractors have enough power to move small mountains.
Thank you. Oh man a cab is nice especially with the winter we're having this year. Yes your right. The tractor always look clean because it is. It's only used for snow clearing. Summer time its parked and it don't usually see the light of day unless I use it for a small job around the door. I have forks for it but don't really need them because we have a forklift so snow is the reason I have it.
Your right these machines will stop at nothing unless it breaks traction. I have this set up to meet my plowing needs and I'm more than happy with it. It just rolled up to 111 hours on the meter.
Happy tractoring ;)

bosshogg

Equipment
2004 L3400F w/ FEL
Aug 16, 2012
Hartford, SD, USA
Question:
How well do angle blades work for removing snow with a tractor? On a truck they work fantastic because you can get some speed which really throws the snow but on a tractor I would think you are moving much slower in most instances. I use a rear blade but have to run in high range to get the snow to slide sideways with enough force to keep the blade clean. I am sure a front snow blade has less friction than my rear blade which probably makes a big difference with forward speed required.

Wildfire

Equipment
Question:
How well do angle blades work for removing snow with a tractor? On a truck they work fantastic because you can get some speed which really throws the snow but on a tractor I would think you are moving much slower in most instances. I use a rear blade but have to run in high range to get the snow to slide sideways with enough force to keep the blade clean. I am sure a front snow blade has less friction than my rear blade which probably makes a big difference with forward speed required.
I wouldn't be with out my blade. It's fast and super efficient. My blade also got a poly skin on it so snow can't stick to it. Check out my videos and you'll see how well it works.
http://www.youtube.com/user/7863348?feature=guide

KenB2920

Equipment
L5240 brush hog,flail mower,wicked grapple,tiller,Danuser F-8 PHD,BB,RB 7' rake
Jun 17, 2011
Almont, mi
I was kind of elected or volunteered to remove the snow for the neighborhood. I had no comparison until this last week when we had an 8" snowfall. My neighbor has an older Kubota with a 5' back blade.

As we were both out there, it was clear I could push twice as much snow as he could. The plow is taller and the tractor had more traction. As he drove over the snow, he packed it down leaving behind tire tracks. When I went by it was pure pavement.

Now the big part, I can put snow exactly where I want it. Having a back blade and trying to make a turn, it tends to make a mess and a lot of extra work turning the blade around.

Now if you were simply clearing a straight driveway up one way and back another, a back blade may be the answer. I have to clear 2 streets with courts and the sub enterance. Hands down the front blade won.

With that said, I have $80 personal dollars invested in my plow. My fabulous neighbor and his connections were able to make me a new cutting edge to spec and fabricate my bucket to make it attach.

It works without flaw.

Front blade won hands down

Gundoctor

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota M7040 4x4/ BX2230 4x4/ JD MX 8/ Ford 101 Moldboard 3 bottom Plows -
I used a old Truck plow (7.5 ft) and put it on our M7040. It should work on your smaller tractor just fine. Here are some photo's. This is a 1972 Meyer that I found out in the woods one day last summer.

David Pidgeon
New Haven, Vermont

Attachments

Jim Jacobson

Apr 3, 2012
Bondurant, WY
It's late in the season for snow blow/blower conversation, but after this winter's experience those of you considering a purchase may gain something from my experience.

Bought a 4740 last spring. Considered the 5740 but cost was $6K more and 47hp was enough even tho my place is at 7,500' and power is reduced by about 23% because of altitude. It was a "package" deal; HST, cab, front snow blower, rear blade, 6' brush hog, FEL and 3rd hyd. Just ordered a grapple. It now has 115 hours, 70 of which were snow removal.

Cabin is ~ 1.5 miles of gravel from an already plowed road. Also have three drives to plow. It's hilly, it's windy, and this year's snowfall ranged up to 1.5 feet, our largest of the year. Because of the wind, even small amounts of snow required blowing as berms along side the road were 3-4' high and drifted in. Comments:

- If you can afford a cab, by all means go for it. It's worth every penny - summer (A/C) or winter (heat & snow blow-back).
- At the time of purchase the decision was tires - Industrial or Ag. Ag won. Best decision for my use. Have not needed chains, weights or fluid. Only a couple of times on the steepest hill (~8% grade) have I wished for extra weight. If road was paved or was plowing on concrete probably would have selected industrial tires with chains.
- Front blower, rear blade was right choice for my use. Make three passes, angle rear blade (turn around so it doesn't dig in), and move snow to center. Do the same in the opposite direction and third pass blow the center pile. Only with the deepest snow is blowing the first pass required. Have blown old settled snow 4' deep, a foot over the top of the blower. Just go slow, no problem. Also blown slush a foot deep - again, no problem. Front blower spins at 1950 RPM, rear blower is 540, making small amounts of snow easy to blow - it doesn't dribble out the shoot. Hydraulic shoot direction control is doubly important for front mount blower. Have yet to shear one of the two shear pins (bolts). Anything over short driveways make a front mount blower almost a necessity unless your neck turns like an owl. Oh, and don't plow the first snowfall or two. Give the snow a chance to pack IOT prevent shearing of pins with gravel (not so on pavement).
- With a blower or blade, make sure the width is wider than the track of your tractor. Think about why. It's obvious when you think abou it, but easy to over look, particularly if buying on-line.

Wildfire - I really like your upwards exhaust mount. Excellent idea. Over time the front blower has gotten to look pretty grim with exhaust blowing on it.