L5740 block heater ?

labowner

Equipment
L295DT L5740 HSTC
Dec 22, 2013
S NH
I bought from my dealer the block heater for my machine and got a chance to look at installing. My question is how much of a job is it to remove hydraulic pump to install block heater... it looks like a major job. Directions say right rear of block behind hydraulic pump. Should I be considering a lower radiator type heater? I used to work at a Kubota dealer in 70's and think I remember these same placement issues.
Cheers Bob

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
I installed a inline heater on my 5740 because I didn't want the hassle of removing the pump. I know you will get differing opinions but I have a lower rad hose heater on a Yanmar and it is useless because the water cannot circulate through the block. The thermostat prevents circulation so the heater heats till the overtemp cuts it out. Gets the bottom hose hot but nothing else. Don't know why the Kubota would be different.:confused:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I installed a inline heater on my 5740 because I didn't want the hassle of removing the pump. I know you will get differing opinions but I have a lower rad hose heater on a Yanmar and it is useless because the water cannot circulate through the block. The thermostat prevents circulation so the heater heats till the overtemp cuts it out. Gets the bottom hose hot but nothing else. Don't know why the Kubota would be different.:confused:
Depends on the model- my B7100 has a thermo siphon cooling system with no thermostat- inline heater would work fine on it.

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
Why all the guess work when wanting to perform a job on your machines such as in this case?

Whenever I negotiate the purchase a new machine a workshop and parts manual is ALWAYS part of the sale. If the dealer can't supply then I simply walk away. They pay for themselves on the first job.

pmhowe

Equipment
L4240, Ford 8N, Kioti CK 2610
Jun 23, 2012
Banner Elk NC
I haven’t done the operation myself, but the workshop manual gives the following sequence:

1. Open bonnet
2. Remove side panel.
Hydraulic Pump Assembly
1. Disconnect the suction hose and main delivery pipe.
2. Remove the hydraulic pump assembly.

(When reassembling)
• Apply grease to the O-ring and take care not to damage it.

Tightening torque: Mounting screw and nut 18 to 20 ft-lb.

Doesn't look too hard.:)

labowner

Equipment
L295DT L5740 HSTC
Dec 22, 2013
S NH
I haven’t done the operation myself, but the workshop manual gives the following sequence:

1. Open bonnet
2. Remove side panel.
Hydraulic Pump Assembly
1. Disconnect the suction hose and main delivery pipe.
2. Remove the hydraulic pump assembly.

(When reassembling)
• Apply grease to the O-ring and take care not to damage it.

Tightening torque: Mounting screw and nut 18 to 20 ft-lb.

Doesn't look too hard.:)
Thanks, have a WSM on the way. May give it a try this week.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
I know this is an old post, but hoping the original poster is still active.

Did you ever complete the installation? How difficult was it to remove the pump?

Thinking about adding a block heater on a L4740-3