L5030 HST or L5240 HST PLUS - Help!

jimbo913

Equipment
L5030 with cab and HST
Apr 22, 2011
PA
Hi,

I am looking at buying a Kubota 50HP HSTC compact tractor for an 8 acre property (300 yard gravel drive), and I will be mainly performing mowing, snow removal, loader work with gravel and dirt, minor plowing/tilling of 3 acres, and box grading).
I am looking at a 2006 L5030 HSTC with 200hrs, and showroom condition. It has HD quick attach FEL 72", Industrial tires, front and rear wipers defrost, Addtional hydraulic lines, heat, air, radio/CD. I can buy this tractor this week for $24,000.

Problem is that I just watched a Kubota video on internet which highlighted the Hydro Plus found on the L40 series, and now I am concerned that maybe the L30 HST is an outdated design. The video showed a Kubota pushing into a set of weights without the "Plus" feature and the tractor bogged instead of pushing or even breaking the wheels loose. Then they engaged the Plus feature and it pushed the weight. I need a tractor which will not bog down and die when I push into a pile of dirt/stones, and I am getting worried about buying the wrong tractor since this is the only tractor I plan to buy for the rest of my life.
Is there anyone on here who has used both the HST and the HST Plus, and can comment on the difference in regards to pushing power? Why wouldnt the tires break loose instead of bogging the engine on the odler HST? Doesnt the governor take care of that problem? Is there any technique that can be used to keep the older L30 from bogging? I really want to buy the used L5030 and save some money but buying the wrong tractor (older technology) has me concerned. I must be able to push into a pile of dirt/stones without the tractor whining to a stall.

I even wonder if the video was exagerrated a bit. I am not concerned with any other useful features of the HST Plus trans, as I think I can live without those added features. I know it sound like a better system, just wondering if it is really necessary for what I am doing.

Thank for providing feedback and helping decide. I only have a couple days to make a final decision

digdug

Equipment
L5240HST, loader, 6'brushog, boxblade, 100gal spayer, 8' graindrill, and more.
Jun 29, 2010
Carthage, MO
You should be fine with the L5030 HST. I currently own a L5240 HST Plus, which I traded in a L3130 HST for. I've had the L5240 for about two and half years now and had the L3130 HST for about two and half years before I traded it in. The reason for the trade was I needed more horsepower and a tractor with a class II 3 pt hitch.

One of the things I liked about the L3130's HST over the L5240's HST Plus, is it is a simpler system, though I have had no issues or problems with the L5240's HST Plus. I seldom use the "Plus" feature of "stall gaurd" which that video is demostrating. If you watch the engine RPMs, listen to the tractor, and don't try to rush the work you will do fine.

I hope that helps you make up your mind. I'd be happy to answer any other questions if you have any.

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
You just have to let up on the hst pedal on the 5030 to keep it from bogging. This is effectively what the stall guard does automatically for you on the 40 series. think of it like shifting into lower gears as you let up the HST pedal.
Ed

jimbo913

Equipment
L5030 with cab and HST
Apr 22, 2011
PA
Thanks for the comments. So what your saying is if the opetator of 30 series would let off the pedal the tractor would push with similar ease as 40 series with the HST Plus engaged? And if I am pushing something the tractor cannot push in 4x4 and I ease up on pedal the 4 tires would spin? Does rpm have much bearing on statements above?

Anything else I should know about these tractors and does price sound fair for North eastern US?

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Yes, That is about right. The further you push down on the hst the faster the tractor goes with corresponding lower torque (so less ability to actually slip the wheels) If you just push the pedal down a wee bit you get low speed along with high torque and have much more pushing force! Of course the faster the engine is running the more horsepower (and torque!) it has so the greater chance again that it will have enough torque to spin the wheels!
This is all done automatically for you on the newer 40 series tractors but the basic engine and hydrostatic transmission are virtually the same. A good operator will get as good performance from the 30 series as the 40 series.
Incidentally, the same technique applies to the operation of the RTV's, much more torque can be achieved by NOT punching it to the floor! So if you are climbing a steep hill with an RTV (or a L5030) try backing off on the pedal! You will be pleasantly surprised!
Ed

jimbo913

Equipment
L5030 with cab and HST
Apr 22, 2011
PA
Well, I bought it. Ran my 8n's 5' bush hog, since I dont have a larger mower yet and felt like I wasted a bunch of gas with the small cutting path. Although I had plenty of power for higher ground speed, the mower could only handle so much without missing.
Anyone have recommendations on widest mower for 45pto hp tractor? Ideally I want a mower with best possible cut and can handle hitting small limbs from fallen branches. Is there something between a true brush mower and a finish mower?

Only things I dont like about tractor is the drive pedal. Resting my foot on it is uncomfortable, but really the fastest method for changing direction. The toe, heel method was what I used mostly but I found difficult to easily and quickly get my heel on it. Might sound strange but just seems like a sloppy design which isnt very ergonomic. I guess that its too high. Easier to raise your toes than your heel.
I also felt like the seat was leaning down in the front and I had to work to stay back in the seat. I may need to investigate shims.