L48 Glow Plug Light comes on while engine is running.

rcerruti

Equipment
B 2400 & L48
Jan 24, 2017
Kutztown, Pa.
The glow plug light on my L48 comes on for varying amounts of time while I'm using the tractor. Local dealer said they never had anyone with this problem. Also said that it shouldn't create a problem. Has anyone run into this problem.
Thanks,
Rcerruti

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sounds like your dealer needs a training class.
The glow plugs operating while it's running will just burn out the plugs faster than normal.
I would check the glow plug relay.

swampFOXX

Equipment
L4610
Nov 9, 2016
Princess Anne
I have an l46...mine was doing the same. Turns out the glow plug controller was bad and was turning on the glow plugs while the engine was running, it was enough to kill the battery eventually. I opted for putting in a manual switch (8$ Amazon) instead of the $70 glow plug controller.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
The original glow controller was imperfect. It was superceded years ago to a newer part number. To my knowledge, the new part number has not had a single failure. Worth looking into. Why hack up an expensive tractor with a toggle or push button switch when a cheap ($70) controller will fix it once and for all, and with no drilling of new holes or installing out-of-place switches? Besides, by time you spend hours wiring in a switch, then buying the switch, wiring, connectors, the time to run back and forth to the parts store to get that last connector, you can replace the controller in a few minutes and it's fixed.

Had a guy once get mad and said he could put a switch in under the keyswitch in under 5 minutes. I gave him a few tools and said get to it, I'll be back after lunch. 2 hours later he was still working on it. He had the switch in quickly but took a while to wire it properly.

If I'm buying a tractor (and I buy a few), I look at them....just a quick visual. I see a switch installed where it wasn't originally, I'm questioning what was done and how badly was the system(s) hacked up? And what else was done? All this is considered when making an offer and generally speaking...the offer isn't as good as it would be if it was all original, because my buyers are picky. Keep that in mind as well.