L48 front axle seal

blacktruckrules

Jan 27, 2016
patterson, ny
I am replacing the front axle seal on a Kubota L48 tractor. I am wonder how to split the casing containing the seal to remove and replace the old seal. it seems I need to remove the snap ring holding the gears in place. any advice? it is on the left side if u were sitting on the tractor or "drivers side" in a car. thank you

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
the trick on those axles is to take all the bolts/nuts off the cover 080 shown in the picture, then gently pry or wack with rubber mallet until it comes out of the housing. then lay the hub 010 on a flat surface and with two pry bars or large screwdrivers, pry the 020 bearing then 040 gear away from the 080 flange. Once the gear is off, the 050 split ring can be removed and the axle can slide out.

Please note that the pivot seal on the housing OFTEN goes long before the AXLE seal...replace that while you're in there...because you're already halfway there and you need to remove the fluid. You will only need the snap ring plyers to remove the snap rings in the housing to get that off the machine. You can remove the 4 bolts and remove the whole assembly..or do it on the machine like I used to do all the time.

blacktruckrules

Jan 27, 2016
patterson, ny
job is finished thanks to you fellas. you guys have been a great help. I took your advice and replaced that pivot seal while I was in their. all seems well. I refilled with 80w90 gear oil. thanks again