L4740 engine oil

Fastenough

Oct 17, 2019
Murray ky
Could someone who owns the l4740 tell me the correct amount of engine oil with filter change? My manual states 8.7 us qts, I drain the pan until it stops dripping install the new filter and after putting 8 qts in and running the engine for several minutes then shutting it down and waiting several minutes the level on the dip stick after pushing it completely in shows about 3/16" above the upper hole?

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
No engine drains 100%. The amounts given in the manuals are to fill a new engine. Therefore the residual oil makes the refill of the engine less then the 8.7 quarts.

On my truck I pour in 5 of the 6 quarts, run the engine for a few minutes then check the oil. Adding a small amount to bring it up to full.

Reactions: 1 user

Fastenough

Oct 17, 2019
Murray ky
You did pull both drains I assume????
Yes both drains. I would think if a new dry engine held 8.7 and now with 8 qts it reads above the full mark then with a qt or so of black oil still in there I would think immediately the new oil would definitely turn darker after running it for 15 minutes or so but its not looks brand new.

Fastenough

Oct 17, 2019
Murray ky
Be sure to let the engine heat up before draining. Following BigG's train of thought, you might drain more oil.
Yes the engine was hot when drained. I purchased this tractor used in September 2018 with 380 hrs i would assume the dip stick wasn't replaced but haven't seen another to compare it with.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
I seem to remember my L4740-3 taking slightly less than what was listed in the manual, but can't remember specific amount. For what it is worth oil was drained when hot from both plugs and allowed to do so for over an hour with filter removed.

Fastenough

Oct 17, 2019
Murray ky
yeah the books are not correct

fill it slowly until you get close then sneak up on it
Thanks for the help. I did take the dip stick to a Kubota dealer to verify it was correct and apparently they add oil until it reads full on the dip stick regardless what the manual states.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I worked for a dealer, 30 years and I learned on day #1 that the books are rarely correct

makes it interesting to have to repair stuff

the books are originally written in japanese then translated to English, and it shows in the writings. Try reading a service manual from kubota. "rerays" (relays), earth cord (ground cable), plus cord (positive cable), etc etc. I call it "Jinglish". Even then the manuals are oftentimes omitting information that is needed by a tech to properly diagnose/repair. Most of the time I never used the books for that exact reason. I wish they'd let whoever makes the manuals for Deere write them for Kubota :)