L47 Backhoe 2019, Hydraulic problems

ellevine93

Equipment
L47 Kubota Backhoe
Apr 17, 2024
Grass Valley CA
Hello I am new to this website.

A couple weeks ago my rear hydraulics for my backhoe out of nowhere stopped working completely. The rear stabilizer arms won't go down at all. The backhoe sometimes will move a tiny bit side to side very slowly but almost so slow that it's not really moving. Front end of tractor work great with 3-1 attachments. Grapple/4-1 bucket all work good. It is only the backhoe and the rear hydraulics of the tractor.

I Checked hydraulic fluid and changed it all looked fine.

I checked for leaks or hoses that weren't connected correctly all looked good.

I pulled in and out the hydraulic sticks by the reservoir and tried playing with the and couldn't get it to work. I could get the front end to stop working and then start going again but did nothing to the rear.

Does anyone know if there is more than one hydraulic pump? Is there a way for the hydraulic pump to only work for the front end if it's damaged? The day that this happened I was running the front end with a grapple and was running the tractor very hot.

I feel like it is something easy that I am missing. Does anyone have any pointers? I can't really bring it in somewhere at the moment so I'm on my own. Everything else runs great.

Thank you for your time

-Ed

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

A couple weeks ago my rear hydraulics for my backhoe out of nowhere stopped working completely. The rear stabilizer arms won't go down at all. The backhoe sometimes will move a tiny bit side to side very slowly but almost so slow that it's not really moving. Front end of tractor work great with 3-1 attachments. Grapple/4-1 bucket all work good. It is only the backhoe and the rear hydraulics of the tractor.

I pulled in and out the hydraulic sticks by the reservoir and tried playing with the and couldn't get it to work. I could get the front end to stop working and then start going again but did nothing to the rear.

Does anyone know if there is more than one hydraulic pump? Is there a way for the hydraulic pump to only work for the front end if it's damaged? The day that this happened I was running the front end with a grapple and was running the tractor very hot.

I feel like it is something easy that I am missing. Does anyone have any pointers? I can't really bring it in somewhere at the moment so I'm on my own. Everything else runs great.

Thank you for your time

-Ed
I believe that there are 3 hydraulic pumps on your L47 (my L48 also has 3)
I don' t know which pump runs what, but am sure someone will come along soon to define it for you.
Do you have an L47 WSM?
You can probably find one on E-Bay for relatively cheap money, and you really SHOULD have it.

Reactions: 1 user

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us

Thank you for your time

-Ed
I believe there are two selector valves (knobs/levers) at the rear. They control outflow to the backhoe. Make sure both are in the "backhoe" position.

Dan

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The three point and the BH are controlled by a swing pump.
Have you verified that the change over levers are in the proper position?

1713384100821.png

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

Thank you for your time

-Ed
Did you disconnect the backhoe, and then this problem occurred?

If you have not removed the BH, then those two levers mentioned in posts #3 and #4 are NOT your problem. It is not physically possible for those levers (handles) to be pushed or pulled, or move by themselves, with the backhoe connected.
There is a large guard cover over those valve handles.
Possibly the handles were never correctly seated originally, allowing only partial flow, but that seems highly unlikely, especially if your BH has been working normally.

Last edited:

ellevine93

Equipment
L47 Kubota Backhoe
Apr 17, 2024
Grass Valley CA
Hello everyone,

thank you for your responses.

I have played around with both levers in the rear to make sure they are both in the correct positions.

I bought the tractor 4-5years ago new and I have never taken off the backhoe.

All fitting appear to be in good condition, all couplers are connected correctly as they have never been removed. Maybe I will try popping them out and re connecting them.

it happened out of no where, all hydraulics went on tractor, then I realized that the levers in the rear that control hydraulics were pushed in without me doing so. I was operating very hot and pushing it to its max moving heavy logs into a fire. Then suddenly all hydraulics stopped working.

currently the front end hydraulics work. But they aren’t working well enough to keep bucket upright. Almost like I’m running out of hydraulic fluid. That is not the case if anything i have to much fluid in the tank. That is because when I lost all hydraulics I thought I was low so I filled it up a bit to much.

can air in the lines cause this?

is there a way for me to check if the rear hydraulic pump for backhoe is bad?

tomorrow I was gonna try and get air out of lines if there is any.

let some hydraulic fluid out to perfect amount in tank.

and take another look around the tractor.

Thanks yall

ellevine93

Equipment
L47 Kubota Backhoe
Apr 17, 2024
Grass Valley CA
HEY,

so I have never taken the backhoe off.

the levers were the issue in the beginning because I lost all hydraulics to the tractor and then figured out about those levers.

once I played around with the levers I got the front end hydraulics to work but not the backhoe.

i don’t know what caused the levers to get messed up or what happened. But nothing was working and then I flipped open that hatch and started playing around with levers and front end started to work.

I know it is very hard for a branch to get up underneath that area but it could have happened. I am very hard on this tractor and put it through alot.

ellevine93

Equipment
L47 Kubota Backhoe
Apr 17, 2024
Grass Valley CA
Hello,

So I have never actually seen the hydraulic pump swing but I have played around with the levers.

So I never knew about those levers for the first few years of having the machine. I actually just found out when I made this post. But I did figure it out before posting on here.

I was always able to just operate the front end loader or the back hoe I would jump back and forth all the time. I never had to pull any levers or do anything. I could even operate backhoe and front end at the same time.

However when this problem first started I lost all my hydraulics to the whole tractor. Then I learned about these levers and started to play around with them. I eventually got the front end to work. Now after about a month of just the front end working, it is loosing strength I can't even hold my bucket up flat without it starting to curl down. Such a pain. I have lots of work to do!

When this problem started it happened out of no where I was working and all of a sudden boom nothing.

View attachment 126566
[/QUOTE]

ellevine93

Equipment
L47 Kubota Backhoe
Apr 17, 2024
Grass Valley CA
I believe there are two selector valves (knobs/levers) at the rear. They control outflow to the backhoe. Make sure both are in the "backhoe" position.

Dan
Hey Dan,

I believe they are iu have played around with all the different variations with the levers. I will double check tomorrow thanks for your feed back.

-Ed

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Hey Dan,

I believe they are iu have played around with all the different variations with the levers. I will double check tomorrow thanks for your feed back.

-Ed
You NEED to get a copy of the L48 TLB operators manual, as well as a copy of the L48 TLB workshop manual.
You are groping in the dark without that printed information!

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
To check if the pump is bad is the same for just about every pump

Find the pump
determine the input side and then the output side
follow the output side hardline to see where it goes (if possible)
the output line usually goes to some connection point and then a control valve.
hopefully you can remove the hose into the valve that was the output side of the pump.
If there is a quick disconnect on the hose end it should be removed.
Put hose in a large clean bucket
Start tractor and if pump is working then a LOT of oil should be in the bucket.

Do NOT run tractor for long or you can drain out the sump quickly. (If the hose end was put into the fill port of the sump instead of a bucket you could run tractor as long as you want.)

If there is no flow from the output then there may be a suction side problem or the pump has failed.

You can remove the pump and see if the input shaft is broken off if it is not working.

Since your machine is a dedicated TLB all of this may be difficult to remove since it may all be internal to the cases.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
To check if the pump is bad is the same for just about every pump

Find the pump
determine the input side and then the output side
follow the output side hardline to see where it goes (if possible)
the output line usually goes to some connection point and then a control valve.
hopefully you can remove the hose into the valve that was the output side of the pump.
If there is a quick disconnect on the hose end it should be removed.
Put hose in a large clean bucket
Start tractor and if pump is working then a LOT of oil should be in the bucket.

Do NOT run tractor for long or you can drain out the sump quickly. (If the hose end was put into the fill port of the sump instead of a bucket you could run tractor as long as you want.)

If there is no flow from the output then there may be a suction side problem or the pump has failed.

You can remove the pump and see if the input shaft is broken off if it is not working.

Since your machine is a dedicated TLB all of this may be difficult to remove since it may all be internal to the cases.
WSM will explain where everything is located/positioned.