L45 Smoke and sputter on cold start.

HydroRI

Equipment
L-45 TLB, Harley Rake
I had a L39 before I got my 45 but I don't think it sounded or smoked like this on a cold start. Just wanted to know if this is normal. The glow plug light came on for about 6 seconds prior to me starting. Temps were in the 30's, Once warmed it starts normal.

Here is a video I posted for some feedback: youtu.be/bF2xA1Osc9k

Please cut and paste link in your browser, it would not let me link because I only have posted once and you need to post 5 times to add pictures or links.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I had a L39 before I got my 45 but I don't think it sounded or smoked like this on a cold start. Just wanted to know if this is normal. The glow plug light came on for about 6 seconds prior to me starting. Temps were in the 30's, Once warmed it starts normal.

Please cut and paste link in your browser, it would not let me link because I only have posted once and you need to post 5 times to add pictures or links.

That is raw fuel that is not burned - on an older engine I would say normal, I have one that has 2000+ hours, starts, smokes and runs just like that - and that is in the summer!

With 800 some hours, I wonder if glowing the plugs longer will help at all.
My first question is what rpm are you starting it , but the tach told me that!;)

Ever try any fuel conditioner? Something with a lubricator? It helped mine quit smoking quite a bit. Mine will still smoke, but nowhere as bad as it used to be before the lubricator.

I use this :

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...&tag=carproducts01-20&linkId=GQH4SLCBWWFRUVG7

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada

I have pasted below this a cold weather trick for larger Kubota's and likely yours too. It gives you manual control over the glow plugs.

Try manually giving your glow plugs a bit more time than 6 seconds and see if the starting improves. Don't over do it!

Kubota glow plug operation
In very cold weather, with the block heater plugged in, the glow plug sensor will lock out the glow plugs as it senses a warm engine.
However, starting, in these circumstances can be rough and worrisome.
The trick is to put the shuttle shift lever in forward and turn the key to the start position.
You will hear a relay click on. I count to 10, put the shuttle back into the neutral position and start the engine.
Makes an amazing difference.
Dave

Dr Honda

Equipment
BX1870
Mar 30, 2015
Pitt, PA
Give it a few more seconds for the glow plugs to do their job. But as the guys above said... normal. White smoke is unburnt fuel... and as you can see in the vid... as soon as it gets a little heat (from more RPM than crank speeds) the smoke goes away.

HydroRI

Equipment
L-45 TLB, Harley Rake
Thanks for the feedback guys, no shuttle shift it is a HST, I will try the fuel conditioner but as far as the glow plugs go I will just let them do there thing. When it is colder the glow plug indicator stays on longer when it is already warm it only comes on for a second or 2, so it must be operating correcly.

Happy Thanksgiving

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Thanks for the feedback guys, no shuttle shift it is a HST, I will try the fuel conditioner but as far as the glow plugs go I will just let them do there thing. When it is colder the glow plug indicator stays on longer when it is already warm it only comes on for a second or 2, so it must be operating correcly.

Happy Thanksgiving
Kubota tech was at my farm yesterday to service my tractor which, unfortunately, I can no longer do.

During our many conversations, one of which had to do with the glow plug manual control I had posted about earlier, he told me the newest Kubota's, when a block heater is installed, get the GP controller reprogrammed to use a different temp sensor and thus avoid the delayed start. Something to be aware of for those installing their own block heater.

Also, one of the largest Kubotas, not certain exactly which model, are undergoing a major recall from freezing hoses connected with emissions.
Electric heaters are being installed to protect these hose(s). This necessitates a larger alternator. The drive belt system can not handle the additional torque needed by the larger alternator and the tractor has to be converted to a serpentine belt system. Water pump, AC compressor require new pulleys. A new idler pulley is installed. Work takes between 6 and 8 hours.

Dave

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Dave you mention, "Also, one of the largest Kubotas, not certain exactly which model, are undergoing a major recall from freezing hoses connected with emissions. Electric heaters are being installed to protect these hose(s). This necessitates a larger alternator. The drive belt system can not handle the additional torque needed by the larger alternator and the tractor has to be converted to a serpentine belt system. Water pump, AC compressor require new pulleys. A new idler pulley is installed. Work takes between 6 and 8 hours."

I believe this was a topic of discussion a couple of weeks ago on the newer L..60 series tractors located in colder climates. A couple of members have had their tractors updated and others were wondering what was involved, wonder why an alternator/wiring was required, since they had received a notice.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Dave you mention, "Also, one of the largest Kubotas, not certain exactly which model, are undergoing a major recall from freezing hoses connected with emissions. Electric heaters are being installed to protect these hose(s). This necessitates a larger alternator. The drive belt system can not handle the additional torque needed by the larger alternator and the tractor has to be converted to a serpentine belt system. Water pump, AC compressor require new pulleys. A new idler pulley is installed. Work takes between 6 and 8 hours."

I believe this was a topic of discussion a couple of weeks ago on the newer L..60 series tractors located in colder climates. A couple of members have had their tractors updated and others were wondering what was involved, wonder why an alternator/wiring was required, since they had received a notice.
D2Cat

I just looked at the latest large tractors on Kubota.ca web site.
The mechanic may have been talking of the M6 series.
I find in the circumstances when he is talking, it is best to not be too inquisitive. Regrettably, it means the info can be a bit vague.

My impression was that the electrical hose heaters created enough additional electrical load that the demands were beyond the output of the standard alternator. Then the larger alternator was too much for the standard belt which necessitated a switch to a serpentine belt. The serpentine belt mean the pulleys on existing stuff had to be switched. I imagine changing the pulley and perhaps electric clutch on the AC compressor would be time consuming.

I will poke around on the Kubota web site to see if there is more detail there

Dave

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho

You didn't mention what the ambient temperature was when you attempted to start your tractor. My experience has been in temperatures < ~40°F, there is some clatter and rattle from the cold combustion process from a cold soaked diesel. This is normal for compression ignition engines. As temperatures decrease the temperature achieved during the compression process is also decreased and the cold walls of the cylinder deactivate fuel components that are actually required to start the combustion process. Add to that the lower battery output that reduced starter torque and HP while the lube oil viscosity increases requiring more power and torque. Glow plugs don't help with increased oil viscosity!

I have several diesel tractors and when the ambient temperatures get in the neighborhood 45°F, I plug in the block heater for a few hours. For a couple of cents worth of electricity, I get easy starting and don't beat the dickens out of the engine during start up which saves engine wear and tear in the long haul.

Just my $0.02.