L4400 vs. MX4700/5100

agtimber

Equipment
1959 Ford 641
Nov 3, 2011
Mebane, NC
Hello All,

I am a newbie to this site, but have been shopping for a new tractor to handle my backlog of work which I have not been able to tackle with my '59 Ford 641.

What are you all's experiences and thoughts on the L4400 vs. the MX4700 or MX5100?

I've been discussing this some at tractorbynet, but it was initially a decision between Kubota, Deere, & New Holland. I've narrowed it down to Kubota.

Also, I was originally look at B-series, 25-33HP, but have decided to start larger, in the 40-50 HP range.

Right now, I'm leaning strongly towards the L4400, and the MX4700 & MX5100. I confess, I'm a little on the fence, such that If I found one dealer with an older new tractor (i.e. 2010) at a good discount, that would make the decision for me.

My work list incudes, but is not limited to:
- driveway work
- a little excavating, trenching, & other ground-engagement
- stump digging
- lots of work in the woods hauling logs and loading them into a trailer.
- misc. loading, lifting, carrying, & pulling
- All sorts of things I have not even realized yet!

I look forward to hearing from you all!

Wxman

Equipment
MX4700HST/loader
Feb 1, 2011
Indiana
Well, you know what is said about opinions; everyone has one.

Anyway, I have had a MX4700 HST for about a year. Nothing bad to say about it. Not sure what price differences are, but you probably get a little more tractor with the MXs. More loader and 3pt capacity, more cubic inches, hp and hydraulic capacity. Of course if you don't need the extras they aren't worth very much.
I went with the 4700 because no turbo. The 4hp was not important to me and that is one less thing to worry about or have trouble with. In fact that is largely why I went with the MX4700, basic, sturdy tractor. It has more loader than most similar hp tractors and very little electronics, computer stuff to have trouble with. I can work on almost any part of this tractor.
Most likely you will love whichever you go with.

Good luck
Wxman

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
I think I answered you on another thread, but if not, of the three I would go with the MX5100; not a lot of difference in price and I really like the extendable lower 3PH links. I run a turbo tractor that replaced the same HP in a naturally aspirated one and don't use it much differently. My primary tractors are a Grand L5030 HSTC and an M8540 HDC, but we have them from 23 HP up.

Good luck.

firejunkie

Equipment
Kubota Mx4700 4w/FEL, Modern Ag cutter,Dirt dog Box blade and Rake, Custom forks
Mar 19, 2011
greenwood, SC
I was in your exact shoes back in June, after months of going back and forth, looking at these three units all the options and including some Kiotis,New hollands, Maseys, etc I chose the 4700, the dollar per work value was just right, the 4400 was a landowner tractor, good strong, nice little features but not as robust as the 4700/5100. As for that choice the extra money the 5100 was on top of the 4700 got me front and rear aux hydraulics, box blade, landscape rake, and an extreme duty bucket. I needed a tractor to work hard, for the next few years, clearing, gradeing, etc. It is also basic electronics, and mechanicals much easier and less $$$ later for repairs

Herkypilot

Equipment
KX040, M7060HDC 12 & L3540
Oct 10, 2011
Carroll County, VA
MX5100 for me too. I found a leftover new 2010 with a significant discount and added the options I wanted. Full warranty. I will be working about 25 acres with it and I'm looking forward to getting started!;)

HP