l4240: tell me about it..

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
so im looking at a couple of L4240's in HST...

they dont appear to be any bigger than my current 40hp tractor...

any of you guys got any experience with them?

YES im always looking for the "next" toy...

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
The biggest difference is going to be the HST+ and swivel seat.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
D2,

i did read thru that thread! :D

wasnt sure if all the L's were DPF free or if it was a solid motor/tranny combo & what not...

seems that in "my area' this is where the price break really kicks in.

B3200's & below are really pricey used: almost new prices. but once you hit that 3800 series & above the prices come down quickly.

& for some other reason you can get these 4220 & 4240's cheaper than the 38's..

just didnt know why or what caused that.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
sdk1968, no DPF on the L4240. They are a solid machine. If you can purchase them in your area at a lessor price than an L3800 I'd consider buying them and reselling them.

I bought mine used about 18 months ago from a dealer in Jackson, Tn. and had it transported to me. I had looked for a few months and only found one other and I was too slow to make a decision. I've noticed the price has gone up about $1500-2K from what I paid back then for a similar machine.

I know this sounds silly to most, but I do not like new ag or industrial tires for what I use a tractor for. Used tires are wore down some so they do less damage on the turf I'm usually on. The older tires also have harder rubber so they are much less likely to draw in thorns (from locust and hedge trees). New tires are like bubble gum, they attract thorns!

I specifically wanted that year range because I wanted something without the DPF. I wanted that size tractor just because it fit in between all the others and it was HST and had quick tach loader with heavy duty bucket. The flat deck with built in step is nice (and safer) getting on and off. The adjustable 3pt linkage is standard. The seat is comfortable and has good adjustment with folding arm rest. Even has a built in tool box behind the seat to put lynch pins, etc. in.

I have no regrets.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
sdk1968, no DPF on the L4240. They are a solid machine. If you can purchase them in your area at a lessor price than an L3800 I'd consider buying them and reselling them.

I bought mine used about 18 months ago from a dealer in Jackson, Tn. and had it transported to me. I had looked for a few months and only found one other and I was too slow to make a decision. I've noticed the price has gone up about $1500-2K from what I paid back then for a similar machine.

I know this sounds silly to most, but I do not like new ag or industrial tires for what I use a tractor for. Used tires are wore down some so they do less damage on the turf I'm usually on. The older tires also have harder rubber so they are much less likely to draw in thorns (from locust and hedge trees). New tires are like bubble gum, they attract thorns!

I specifically wanted that year range because I wanted something without the DPF. I wanted that size tractor just because it fit in between all the others and it was HST and had quick tach loader with heavy duty bucket. The flat deck with built in step is nice (and safer) getting on and off. The adjustable 3pt linkage is standard. The seat is comfortable and has good adjustment with folding arm rest. Even has a built in tool box behind the seat to put lynch pins, etc. in.

I have no regrets.
You are reading my mind & causing me to seriously consider this tractor..

i'll pm ya some more info.

thanks as always

s

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
You didn't say, but if you're interested in Cab tractors AND you want to install a Kubota backhoe, make certain it is a dash 3 version. Example: L4240-3.

If the labels are missing, verify how the PTO engages. -3 models will have a yellow rotary electric switch to engage PTO. Earlier models use a conventional lever.

Wildan

Equipment
L4240 HSTC &L3000DT
Sep 19, 2013
St.Lawrence Co.NY
I have a L4240 HSTC purchased new;currently has about 1300 hours.I use it year-round,snow with a FEL mounted plow and food plot chores in the summer.It has been a very good tractor.
Pulls a 2/14 dirt plow,roto-tiller,6'bush-hog ect.