L4060 Creeps Painfully Slowly in Reverse

Cory Wessman

Equipment
L4060
Dec 22, 2022
Minnesota
I'm operating a 2021 HST L4060. It runs great in forward gears, but in reverse it creeps along, maybe 5% of the forward speed, regardless of which gear I'm in. It seems it's been getting progressively worse. Just crossed 50 hours. I just put the snowblower on and it's almost unusable due to its speed; it also cut power a couple times while trying to operate it. What might be going on?

woodman55

Equipment
L6060HSTC, RTV 1100
May 15, 2022
canada
Is there dirt under the tredle ? With it being a 2021, it should still be under warranty.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Is there dirt under the tredle ? With it being a 2021, it should still be under warranty.
I wondered about that but assumed his L4060 has a cab (which it probably doesn't given the mention of "gears"). When I was blowing snow with the BX25D I would get snow/ice under the pedal and as soon as the tractor would only creep in reverse I knew I had to clear it out.

I hope it's that simple for the OP.

ve9aa

Equipment
TG1860, BX2380 -backblade, bx2830 snowblower, fel, weight box,pallet forks,etc
Apr 11, 2021
NB, Canada
I had this exact same thing happen on my BX2380 last year when I wired up some lights.

I thought WTF?!?!?!?

Turns out the knob that holds the radiator screen/battery cover on, had come unscrewed and fell down between the treadle pedal and the end of the slot. I couldn't see it in the dark. I found it a short time later with a flashlight and felt pretty stupid.

I doubt yours is THAT knob, but look for a wrench, ice, stick, something out of adjustment maybe.

chim

Equipment
L4240HSTC with FEL, Ford 1210
Jan 19, 2013
Near Lancaster, PA, USA
ASSuming his mention of being a 2021 HST L4060, h'e likely referring to "ranges" as "gears".

When I built the cab for the L3200 I made mats from cow mats. My trans acted like that till I made a larger hole for the hydro pedal.

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
Are you pushing your heel down when reversing? Try using the ball of your foot and stomp on the bottom of treadle for reverse. I don’t get nearly the reverse speed when using my heel because of my lack of flexibility.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
ASSuming his mention of being a 2021 HST L4060, h'e likely referring to "ranges" as "gears".
Good point. I'm not that familiar with all of the L60 configurations, but the HST L4060 is available with ROPS or cab and one is far more likely to have snow under a pedal than the other.

ruger1980

Equipment
L4310 w/La682, L225
Oct 25, 2020
CNY
If the pedal is contacting the stops in both directions I would download the WSM and perform the operation to adjust the HST pedal sensor.

Cory Wessman

Equipment
L4060
Dec 22, 2022
Minnesota
Thanks for the replies, all, and please excuse my imprecise terminology. My first tractor and first post on this forum...

It appears the problem is deeper than the reverse. My 18-month old tractor won't start at all now. We're just coming off a deep cold snap (0 to -10F daily highs). After talking to my dealer, I added winterizer to my fuel and replaced the fuel filter (although the old one actually looked fine after removing it). I followed the L4060 manual to bleed the air, too. Turns over but wouldn't start.

The battery sounded ok while turning over, but to be sure I hooked up jumper cables to my vehicle - to no avail. It just won't catch.

Other recommended next steps from the experts?

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Thanks for the replies, all, and please excuse my imprecise terminology. My first tractor and first post on this forum...

It appears the problem is deeper than the reverse. My 18-month old tractor won't start at all now. We're just coming off a deep cold snap (0 to -10F daily highs). After talking to my dealer, I added winterizer to my fuel and replaced the fuel filter (although the old one actually looked fine after removing it). I followed the L4060 manual to bleed the air, too. Turns over but wouldn't start.

The battery sounded ok while turning over, but to be sure I hooked up jumper cables to my vehicle - to no avail. It just won't catch.

Other recommended next steps from the experts?
Put battery tender on battery and make sure it goes to green light over night.
If you have a heater of some sort warm area around tractor engine so any gelled fuel in the lines will melt.
If you have changed the fuel filter, turn the key so it starts the mechanical pump ticking and leave it go what seems a really long time. Loosen the bolt on the top of fuel filter from time to time until you get some fuel coming out. Make sure any cut off valve near water separator has been reopened. (You did empty water separator and clean its filter when you changed fuel filter?)

Turn off ignition and when you are ready to start, turn ignition to on, and look for glow plug symbol on screen. Do not crank until symbol goes away. Crank in 10 sec bursts with time for starter to cool in between. Check your owners manual for exact directions for cold start.

Reactions: 1 user

Cory Wessman

Equipment
L4060
Dec 22, 2022
Minnesota
Put battery tender on battery and make sure it goes to green light over night.
If you have a heater of some sort warm area around tractor engine so any gelled fuel in the lines will melt.
If you have changed the fuel filter, turn the key so it starts the mechanical pump ticking and leave it go what seems a really long time. Loosen the bolt on the top of fuel filter from time to time until you get some fuel coming out. Make sure any cut off valve near water separator has been reopened. (You did empty water separator and clean its filter when you changed fuel filter?)

Turn off ignition and when you are ready to start, turn ignition to on, and look for glow plug symbol on screen. Do not crank until symbol goes away. Crank in 10 sec bursts with time for starter to cool in between. Check your owners manual for exact directions for cold start.
Thanks for these helpful tips. I did not empty the water separator and clean its filter, but I did inspect and found the red ring on the bottom (see photo). Do you still recommend that be done? (and if so, for my understanding: why?).

Currently I'm applying heat under a tarp (see second photo) and will see if that makes the difference.

Attachments

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
It's hard to visualize the water separator screen, but if your fuel was to gel it would start there. I would remove the separator bowl and confirm the screen is clean, reassemble, and bleed the system as has been previously described.
The L60 series machines bleed quickly with the 12v lift pump and an open bleed screw on the second filter. Mine takes a minute at most to bleed after a filter change.
Also, the time to add an antigel additive is before low temps hit, as they generally do not ungel currently gelled fuel. The exception are products like PS911 which is for use in already gelled fuel systems. It is NOT intended for routine use.

Cory Wessman

Equipment
L4060
Dec 22, 2022
Minnesota
It's hard to visualize the water separator screen, but if your fuel was to gel it would start there. I would remove the separator bowl and confirm the screen is clean, reassemble, and bleed the system as has been previously described.
The L60 series machines bleed quickly with the 12v lift pump and an open bleed screw on the second filter. Mine takes a minute at most to bleed after a filter change.
Also, the time to add an antigel additive is before low temps hit, as they generally do not ungel currently gelled fuel. The exception are products like PS911 which is for use in already gelled fuel systems. It is NOT intended for routine use.
To clarify "gelled fuel" and its impact: If the fuel did gel, and the filters have been cleaned and replaced, would you expect extended exposure to heat to fully resolve the issue? Or has the fuel permanently changed chemically?

Thank you!

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
To clarify "gelled fuel" and its impact: If the fuel did gel, and the filters have been cleaned and replaced, would you expect extended exposure to heat to fully resolve the issue? Or has the fuel permanently changed chemically?

Thank you!
Good question. I have never seen any evidence that it has been changed permanently. But it is the transformation back to the liquid form that may or may not require the organic solvent in the PS911.

Re the screen in the water separator, you might want to rinse it in clean kerosene. Watch out for the o ring, don't lose. Diagram in manual useful for reassembling.

Fuel is sucked through the water separator by the pump, making it important to have free flow.

Cory Wessman

Equipment
L4060
Dec 22, 2022
Minnesota
Thank you for your response! It was indeed the water separator, and cleaning with kerosene resolved this. In addition, melting and clearing ice beneath the pedal (previously undetected) solved the "creeping reverse" problem.

Reactions: 1 users