L4060 Air-Ride Seat for PTO Use

LPSteinmetz

Equipment
2015 Kubota L4060
Mar 6, 2015
Alvin, TX (Houston Metro Area)
Hello,

I have a 2015 kubota L4060 and plan to do some woodchipping this weekend. I have had the tractor for about 6 months now but this will be the first time using the chipper. I knew from reading the Kubota manual that I would have to lift the seat in order to use a wood chipper so that that the engine wouldn't die. The problem is I cannot figure out for the life of me how to lift the seat. I have a Grammer MSG75G/531 (Kubota # L6023) air-ride seat. All the Kubota manual says is "Tilt the operator's seat forward." Sounds simple but I cannot find a latch or anything that will allow this to happen. Also, the picture they show in the manual is not the seat I have. I'm pretty stumped right now so any help would be greatly appreciated.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Does it die when you get off the seat with the PTO running?
If it does, your either going to have to put a sand bag or 2 in the seat or your going to have to override the seat switch, on most it's as simple as disconnecting the plug and jumping 2 wires, or if accessible using a zip tie on the switch mechanism to keep it closed.
For a permanent fix you could wire in a seat override switch. ;)

LPSteinmetz

Equipment
2015 Kubota L4060
Mar 6, 2015
Alvin, TX (Houston Metro Area)
Does it die when you get off the seat with the PTO running?
If it does, your either going to have to put a sand bag or 2 in the seat or your going to have to override the seat switch, on most it's as simple as disconnecting the plug and jumping 2 wires, or if accessible using a zip tie on the switch mechanism to keep it closed.
For a permanent fix you could wire in a seat override switch. ;)
Thanks. I ended up putting a towel on the seat and then placing a log on it. The log couldn't have weighed much more than 10-15 lbs. but it was enough to override the seat switch. I was surprised by this as I figured the dead-man switch would require at least 80-100 lbs.

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
I have a 2014 L3560 HSTC, and I'm no heavy weight and if I lean forward on my seat to see something in front better, the tractor dies out. Also when I hook up something to the front quick attach, I have to stand up to see the connection (poorly designed for viewing due to loader arms). I located the wires connecting to the seat sensor and even though it's not recommended to disconnect it, it is so much better for my use. Of course it is always safety first and always pay attention to what you are doing.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I wouldn't mind doing this if I could figure out the circuit...sounds like a winter project. What would be nice is to wire in an alarm that would sound if I had it in bypass when the PTP is not engaged as a reminder to reactivate the dead-man safety feature.
I can help you set up a better system, a temporary electric latch that would disconnect when you got back in the seat. So a self resetting override.;)

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
I got my chipper a moth or so ago. I flipped up the seat and put a zip tie on the lever...

King Lars Kubota

Equipment
Kubota L4060 ROPS, LA805 loader, BH92 backhoe, back blade, EA Wicked grapple
Apr 21, 2019
Rogers City, Michigan
This is off your main subject a bit, but I'm planning on buying an L4060 and I'm looking at the different options. The air ride seat was one of the options I'm looking at. The question I have is: if I go with this option does the seat still have the swivel function so you can turn more easily to see your implement?

Tommieboy

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario
This is off your main subject a bit, but I'm planning on buying an L4060 and I'm looking at the different options. The air ride seat was one of the options I'm looking at. The question I have is: if I go with this option does the seat still have the swivel function so you can turn more easily to see your implement?
Not an answer to your question but it may help - I've had the L4060 for about a month now with about 30 hrs in the seat. I find the stock seat very comfortable and a breeze to operate if using the PTO for say wood chipping and need to get out of the seat - simply flip it forward. From the comments above it sounds like the air ride seat is problematic for this purpose. Maybe something to consider depending on your use.

Kubota BX 1860

Equipment
BX 1860, oops, traded it for a BX2370
Jun 23, 2011
Raymond, ME
I've said this before, but those seat switches are nothing but a royal nuisance. After about a week with my first BX, I disabled it. When my second BX was delivered, I disabled it in the driveway before I even started it up (which was easy, all I had to do was unplug it). DISCLAIMER FOR SAFETY POLICE: Of course safe operation is important, but sometimes we get a bit carried away.