L3940 HST 550hr. Random lockup of joystick positions, outriggers, reverse, FEL, etc

jerryinwoolwine

Equipment
L3940 backhoe, FEL, grapple
Jun 14, 2014
Woolwine, VA
L3940, HST BH, FEL, 3rd valve for grapple (installed by dealer)
During operation, I am experiencing random inoperative hydraulic functions. IE, the BH wont swing back to center, one outrigger wont retract, once the reverse pedal would not depress, and once I had very little engine power to make it back to the barn. It is like the levers are frozen in place. Then everything works fine? It started as a rare occurrence, but is becoming regular. It IS due for it's 500 hr maintenance. I am seeing a tiny bit of fluid leakage under the BH joystick station, to the operator floor. I removed the cover, but found nothing unusual. Wondering is the 3rd valve for the grapple could cause these symptoms? Any suggestions of what to look for or try?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
When it acts up do you hear anything different than normal like the hydraulics going into relief?

Is your grapple control electric?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
How is the 3rd valve installed?
Pictures would be great!

jerryinwoolwine

Equipment
L3940 backhoe, FEL, grapple
Jun 14, 2014
Woolwine, VA
Thanks for the responses. I attached a pic of the aux valve for the grapple. Would this play a role, even if I don't have the hoses hooked up to the grapple? I guess I could disconnect the wires to the FEL switch?

I actually broke one out rigger handle today getting it to retract. I don't hear any difference (or unusual) in sound, as the lever or joystick just does not want to move in the desired direction, thus not engaging the hydraulics (?). After "wiggling" it around, it will eventually, but slowly work. I tried taking a video, but of course it worked much better then. I re-checked the hydro fluid levels and re-greased everything, no difference.

FYI- I just bought this tractor used, in Jan. Remainder of warranty expires in July. It is a 2011 model year.

Attachments

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
If it's under warranty I would take full advantage of it. Make the dealer fix the problem while you can. Something obviously is not right so pass the headache on to them. Trouble shooting a issue like this sometimes is worse than fixing it. Keep us posted.