L3940 Front Axle Leaks after driving through high grass

poe34

Equipment
L3940 HST
Apr 1, 2021
Ohio
Hi guys, my Dad's L3940 had the axle seals replaced 2 years ago after he drove through high grass. This past weekend I drove through some high grass and today when Dad went to use the tractor, it is leaking again. I would like to attempt to repair this myself, but my google searches are coming up empty. Does anyone have any experience, or advice? Would be much appreciated!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You need the WSM, it has all the info to repair it.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Hi guys, my Dad's L3940 had the axle seals replaced 2 years ago after he drove through high grass. This past weekend I drove through some high grass and today when Dad went to use the tractor, it is leaking again. I would like to attempt to repair this myself, but my google searches are coming up empty. Does anyone have any experience, or advice? Would be much appreciated!
You have piqued my interest.

What sort of "high grass" is this?

I am just having a hard time picturing how driving a tractor, though grass, ruins it's axle seals, thats all. :unsure:

Reactions: 1 users

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Sometimes.... grasses or similar (think reeds) will wrap around an axle and jam against a seal, forcing a leak. It 'might be possible' to remove a wheel and 'unwind' the debris and not need a seal or anything more other than topping off the axle with SUDT.
This happens with my chipper occasionally. Some quality time with the radio on peacefully digging at it with a dental pick.

Reactions: 1 users

poe34

Equipment
L3940 HST
Apr 1, 2021
Ohio
We live in Ohio, so not sure what type of grass/weeds are causing this issue. When my Dad took it to the dealer the first time, I called BS and said there is NO way that could have been caused by driving a tractor through tall grass... well I used the tractor to drive through some tall grass and the next day the tire is covered in gear lube, so I guess it wasn't BS after all. My Dad always keeps the bucket low to knock down grass when he uses it, I feel bad that I caused the damage and was hoping I could avoid them needing to pay to have it trailered to the dealership for what was a pretty expensive repair last time.

This is just from the grass blades, not even from them getting wrapped around the axle!

Last edited:

Mitjam

Equipment
M-108, M6-111, Lx3520. Landpride RCR1272,RB1684,SPL1072,FDR1672, westward tiller
Jan 14, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
We live in Ohio, so not sure what type of grass/weeds are causing this issue. When my Dad took it to the dealer the first time, I called BS and said there is NO way that could have been caused by driving a tractor through tall grass... well I used the tractor to drive through some tall grass and the next day the tire is covered in gear lube, so I guess it wasn't BS after all. My Dad always keeps the bucket low to knock down grass when he uses it, I feel bad that I caused the damage and was hoping I could avoid them needing to pay to have it trailered to the dealership for what was a pretty expensive repair last time.

This is just from the grass blades, not even from them getting wrapped around the axle!
I have a m6-111 the one bevel gear the seal is leaking only leaks when your moving/ steering. Phoned dealer they said sounds like overfilled bevel. Drained it, refilled it, ran it, checked it proper amount was in fill hole left it sit a week bone dry. Went to move tractor 300 yards oil dripping down on rim. Checked the proper kingpin adjustment everything on spec Figure that one out.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan

I hope you can get it fixed.

I wish I could be of more help in regard to advising you on whether or not to try it yourself, but I have never done one.

Still it's just seems very strange to me, that "high grass" causes leaking axle seals on a tractor.

And it's even crazier that it is not from them getting wrapped around the axle.

You sound like a good guy for trying to make it right, I hope it works out well for you. (y)

Reactions: 1 user

poe34

Equipment
L3940 HST
Apr 1, 2021
Ohio
I hope you can get it fixed.

I wish I could be of more help in regard to advising you on whether or not to try it yourself, but I have never done one.

Still it's just seems very strange to me, that "high grass" causes leaking axle seals on a tractor.

And it's even crazier that it is not from them getting wrapped around the axle.

You sound like a good guy for trying to make it right, I hope it works out well for you. (y)
Good guy... or girl ;) Looks like special tools are needed, ugh. I plan to just keep an eye on the fluid level and wait until winter to get it in the shop.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Is this the front or rear axle seal?
What special tools are needed? I have replaced dozens of each and have not needed any special tools.