L3901 with backhoe. Rear remotes and 3rd function

Bob11x

Feb 20, 2016
Upstate ny
I am taking delivery of a slightly used L3901. It has the bh77 mounted and that’s it.
I have a grapple I’d like to use and also I would like to have rear remotes for top-n-tilt and maybe use one for a backhoe thumb/post hole drill.
I have read through many online posts but none with exactly my situation.
For the front I believe the Summit valve is a good (although $$) solution. It looks like it would install between the loader valve PB and the backhoe feed. I think I really only need an electric valve and a switch. The question I have is the electric valve in the kit has a T port out. Is there something to turn that into a PB like on the P40 valve?
Then on the back I believe I would take the feed from the 3rd function and route that to the rear remote valve. From there the PB out would feed the backhoe and the return from that would remain the same.
Does all of this sound logical and correct? Any suggestions for an 3rd function valve? Any suggestions on mounting the rear remote valve? I’d like to have it under the seat but the levers would be miserable to articulate.
Thank you! Love this page for the knowledge I gained in selecting my L.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
The one thing you have to make sure off is that the backhoe is the last thing in the loop.

DIY My Way did a couple of videos on putting a hydraulic cylinder on the backhoe thumb.

ayak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301 HST
Feb 16, 2018
WV
I purchased an L3301 (with a Bh77) new back in 2018 and subsequently myself added a third function kit (from Summit) for a grapple. Then I later purchased all the factory kits to add three rear remotes. This video was a really good starting point for me to come up to speed on ‘where’ things went and how it all went together. I’m certain the 3901 steps would be identical.

PS. There’s no need to utilize a TEE into the hydraulic block for your L-series, but other than that, the video is a good primer

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I am taking delivery of a slightly used L3901. It has the bh77 mounted and that’s it.
I have a grapple I’d like to use and also I would like to have rear remotes for top-n-tilt and maybe use one for a backhoe thumb/post hole drill.
I have read through many online posts but none with exactly my situation.
For the front I believe the Summit valve is a good (although $$) solution. It looks like it would install between the loader valve PB and the backhoe feed. I think I really only need an electric valve and a switch. The question I have is the electric valve in the kit has a T port out. Is there something to turn that into a PB like on the P40 valve?
Then on the back I believe I would take the feed from the 3rd function and route that to the rear remote valve. From there the PB out would feed the backhoe and the return from that would remain the same.
Does all of this sound logical and correct? Any suggestions for an 3rd function valve? Any suggestions on mounting the rear remote valve? I’d like to have it under the seat but the levers would be miserable to articulate.
Thank you! Love this page for the knowledge I gained in selecting my L.
Congratulations - you have it exactly right!!!!

The T port on the Summit 3rd function valve can be used as is for the power beyond feed to your remotes. Its the exact same setup as Landpride OEM.

I have been all over my L3901 trying possible locations for the remote valve. Right fender is probably easiest. Under the seat is more doable than you might think.

20210429_163132_001.jpg

Spend some thought on how you want the outlets to mount and operate especially with the complication of the backhoe. I am not a fan of the "economy" setup Kubota supplied as OEM.

Dan

Last edited:

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
This is where I mounted my 3 spools, I mostly use the grapple and it's not a problem with top-n-tilt hydraulics in the back... I used the same hoses from the FEL and attached them to the new spool. Only other hose I had to buy was going from the old Power Beyond (high pressure out) to the "In" or Power in port of the new valve a few inches above the FEL valve... I have needle valves for the Top and tilt so they can be feathered precisely.

Attachments

Bob11x

Feb 20, 2016
Upstate ny
Thank you all for the help and the pics! Just don’t want to muck it up.
I’ll probably go with the 3rd function first and spend some time planning the rest.
Any suggestions on an electric valve ? Ideas for switch mounting?
Or just buy the kit as it’s pretty good deal??

Bob11x

Feb 20, 2016
Upstate ny
That was part of my confusion- why is one T port ok for power beyond and another one needs a PB adapter. How is one supposed to know the difference?!?
I am liking that valve location in your pic. Just trying to figure out how to control if I decide to use a BH thumb.., maybe add another electric after rear valve and before BH?

bob

Congratulations - you have it exactly right!!!!

The T port on the Summit 3rd function valve can be used as is for the power beyond feed to your remotes. Its the exact same setup as Landpride OEM.

I have been all over my L3901 trying possible locations for the remote valve. Right fender is probably easiest. Under the seat is more doable than you might think.

View attachment 122685

Spend some thought on how you want the outlets to mount and operate especially with the complication of the backhoe. I am not a fan of the "economy" setup Kubota supplied as OEM.

Dan

Bob11x

Feb 20, 2016
Upstate ny
Thank you. I will give it a watch. Not one I found before.
how do you like the bh on the 3301? And the 3301?? Leary of the regen but couldn’t pass up the deal.

I purchased an L3301 (with a Bh77) new back in 2018 and subsequently myself added a third function kit (from Summit) for a grapple. Then I later purchased all the factory kits to add three rear remotes. This video was a really good starting point for me to come up to speed on ‘where’ things went and how it all went together. I’m certain the 3901 steps would be identical.

PS. There’s no need to utilize a TEE into the hydraulic block for your L-series, but other than that, the video is a good primer

Bob11x

Feb 20, 2016
Upstate ny
Thank you. That was my understanding- nice to confirm it. Thanks for the link. Another project!

The one thing you have to make sure off is that the backhoe is the last thing in the loop.

DIY My Way did a couple of videos on putting a hydraulic cylinder on the backhoe thumb.

ayak

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301 HST
Feb 16, 2018
WV
Thank you. I will give it a watch. Not one I found before.
how do you like the bh on the 3301? And the 3301?? Leary of the regen but couldn’t pass up the deal.
The BH has always done what I’ve asked it to do, no questions asked. As for the regen, just run it hard and without much low idling, and the regen thing becomes inconsequential. More important is putting good diesel into the tank and keeping water out of that common rail engine. Nothing goes in my tank without going thru a Mr Funnel. And I don’t let the tank sit less than full any more than it has to. Congrats on your purchase.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
That was part of my confusion- why is one T port ok for power beyond and another one needs a PB adapter. How is one supposed to know the difference?!?
I am liking that valve location in your pic. Just trying to figure out how to control if I decide to use a BH thumb.., maybe add another electric after rear valve and before BH?

bob
The T port on the solenoid valves are not actually true power beyond.

PB serves two purposes:

On the monoblock valves it isolates the tank port from high neutral circuit pressures it cannot handle. The construction of the solenoid valves is such they are rated for those pressures. Thats why the T port on the solenoid valves can be used in this fashion.

But the primary purpose of PB is to isolate upstream actuators from downstream loads. With PB exhaust oil from the cylinders or motors goes straight to tank. With the solenoid valves that oil is going back into the neutral circuit and upstream cylinders or motors are in series with downstream cylinders and motors. Think about that - its a very important concept to understand. It makes the actuator loads additive and opens the door to all sorts of potentially problematic interactions.

Yes - I like the solenoid valve mounted on the backhoe for thel thumb but you need to understand that PB distinction and actuator interaction I talked about above.

You seem to be a quick study and I imagine this has created as many new questions as it answered. Fire away.

Dan

Last edited:

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA
This group is awesome! - following this thread.

I explored initially and then put off the T&T or maybe just the T... This was after discovering the blessings of a BB the hard way (read doing without). Still in the DIY manual adjust but it gets old fast.

FWIW- Have the BH77 and the 3rd fxn for the grapple from the dealer

Bob11x

Feb 20, 2016
Upstate ny
yes- it is wonderful to have so much knowledge collected on this site.
I’ve put 5 hours on my tractor in the last 36 hours and love it. Ordered the summit 3rd function last night.
I also have struggled with box blade and trying to manually adjust it ( on a bx - which I found I disliked the inching valve - which is one of the main reasons for the upgrade. Hopefully the position will improve my technique!

This group is awesome! - following this thread.

I explored initially and then put off the T&T or maybe just the T... This was after discovering the blessings of a BB the hard way (read doing without). Still in the DIY manual adjust but it gets old fast.

FWIW- Have the BH77 and the 3rd fxn for the grapple from the dealer

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
Good Morning, We (WR Long) have solutions for your 3rd function, rear remotes, and Top & Tilt kit needs you mentioned above. We do all of our Manufacturing in NC and we normally ship our hydraulic kits within 1-2 days. Please give us a call 252-823-4570 or if you prefer to look us up before calling, our website is wrlonginc.com.
Please clarify what hydraulic kits are available in 1-2 days.
Thank you

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
3rd function valve kits and any rear remotes that have already been designed. if they need to be designed they are about a week out (Same with top & Tilt Kits).
No offense and I know WR Long is a reputable company selling a reputable product but I think thats a bit fatuous. Let me rephrase the question.

Does WR Long have a website where I can price, purchase, and pay for what I want and expect it to ship to me in 1-2 days?

If so as a followup to that what are the order numbers and cost for a 3 spool rear remote kit for an L3901. And where can I go to see whats in that kit and how it will fit on my tractor before I place my order?

Dan

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
No offense taken, and I appreciate the questions. We ship our kits within 1 - 2 days from receipt of order and then, depending on where you are in the country it may take 1 - 4 additional days to arrive at your door. We just began offering 3rd functions on our online store as opposed to having to go through a dealer. The store address is wrlstore.com where you can see everything our kits come with as well as pricing.

The following link is to our rear remote photo gallery www.wrlonginc.com/rear-remote-gallery. We do have a rear remote kit designed for the L-series Kubota's. Our Kits include the mounting hardware, plumbing hoses, any special fittings needed, switchboxes/handles, quick couplers, dust caps, and quick coupler brackets. I will need to find out about offering our rear remotes on our store.

I would need to know the following in order to provide you with a part number as well as pricing for the rear remote kit.

Is your tractor a ROPS or a cab unit? Does the tractor have a loader? Do you already have a 3rd function installed on the tractor or will you be making one of the valves a 3rd function?

Thanks again!
Thank you and you are a real diplomat!

The direct sales online store is news to me and a huge improvement.

L3901 ROPS with factory loader. Valves are all spring center, no float, with rear outlets. I will be interested in looking that offering over but truthfully I already have my own plans for that....

Dan

Bob11x

Feb 20, 2016
Upstate ny
Haven't checked this site in a while - what happened to the WR Long posts???

I did install my Summit kit for the 3rd function and it is splendid. The only thing I could complain about is the hoses in the kit are not a good fit with the factory backhoe. The hose to the block under the right foot board is made with a 90* end to go into the upper left fitting if no backhoe. If there is a backhoe then it goes to the upper right fitting which has a 90* fitting in the block. I had a hose made at the local parts store ($$$) with a straight end (Summits hose has 90*) there and I also had a 45* on the valve end to tuck it up closer to the loader frame. The other hose could use a 45* at the valve also but works as shipped. It would be nice if Summit could send a 90* adapter with a straight hose that could service both installs, but otherwise great kit.

Last edited:

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny

I did install my Summit kit for the 3rd function and it is splendid. The only thing I could complain about is the hoses in the kit are not a good fit with the factory backhoe. The hose to the block under the right foot board is made with a 90* end to go into the upper left fitting if no backhoe. If there is a backhoe then it goes to the upper right fitting which has a 90* fitting in the block. I had a hose made at the local parts store ($$$) with a straight end (Summits hose has 90*) there and I also had a 45* on the valve end to tuck it up closer to the loader frame. The other hose could use a 45* at the valve also but works as shipped. I would be nice if Summit could send a 90* adapter with a straight hose that could service both installs, but otherwise great kit.
I bought the summit kit for my L2501 with a BH77. The ordering said to specify if you had a BH which I did, and they would send the right hose. I had the same problem and contacted them explaining. They sent me the right hose no charge. This was 2 years ago, surprised to hear it is still the case.

I paralleled the outputs of the valve and the switch contacts to the rops and used that to control my thumb when i made it hydraulic. If i was to do it over i think i would have bought a second 3rd function and mounted it on the BH and just added 12volt circuit but this works good. 2 hoses and a trailer plug and prototype handles my son made with a 3d printer with buttons in them.

bill

WRLongBenex

Feb 21, 2024
North Carolina

I did install my Summit kit for the 3rd function and it is splendid. The only thing I could complain about is the hoses in the kit are not a good fit with the factory backhoe. The hose to the block under the right foot board is made with a 90* end to go into the upper left fitting if no backhoe. If there is a backhoe then it goes to the upper right fitting which has a 90* fitting in the block. I had a hose made at the local parts store ($$$) with a straight end (Summits hose has 90*) there and I also had a 45* on the valve end to tuck it up closer to the loader frame. The other hose could use a 45* at the valve also but works as shipped. I would be nice if Summit could send a 90* adapter with a straight hose that could service both installs, but otherwise great kit.
Good Afternoon, We Are not allowed to Post/promote unless we have a Vendor Membership. We are not ready to do that at the moment, but I am here to help if anyone needs anything.