L3901 vibration when FEL is loaded

Jeff7pt62

Equipment
L3901
Oct 10, 2015
oklahoma city, OK
I just bought a new L3901. It has 7 hours on it. When I drive it with a loaded bucket, I experience something like a vibration or shaking in the drive train. It seems to happen consistently under a loaded condition.
The bucket was loaded with dirt.
Unloaded, no issue
Happens in both L and M range at full speed and full throttle.
It happens going both up or down hill.
I drove it only in a field, not road conditions.
Happens with the bucket in a high or low position.
The 3pt position made no difference.

Also, I noticed that the fuel/water separator needs to be emptied. (initial tank from the dealer) But I cant get the plastic fuel/water separator apart.

thanks for any advice.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Sorry for the delay. For some reason our Spam Manager over reacted and marked your post as spam. It's public now. Am sure some folk will reply now.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
Do you have any ballast on the 3pt? Did you have in four wheel drive?

I had some trouble getting the nut to come loose on the water separator on my L3901DT, but I just kept trying to turn it and it finally turned.

Jeff7pt62

Equipment
L3901
Oct 10, 2015
oklahoma city, OK
The wheels are weighted with liquid only and it is 4x4. I forgot to mention that I tried it in 2x4 also, no change
I had a land pride gravel blade hooked up for rear weight

ShaunBlake

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B6100D; B219; Piranha bar; Hodge stabilizers; Filled Ag rears; R322T w/48" deck
Dec 21, 2014
Sugar Hill -- next door to Buford, GA
... When I drive it with a loaded bucket, I experience something like a vibration or shaking in the drive train. It seems to happen consistently under a loaded condition.
How hard is the surface you're driving over, and do you have Ag tires? My B6100 (with Ag tires) is extremely bumpy over hard surfaces even going uphill and even without a load in the bucket.

If you are running on turf tires, then it's a different ball game, and you need to pinpoint the source (front or rear) of the vibration and the frequency of the shaking relative to the rotation of the wheels.

Hint: if the front wheels are the source, you'll feel it more in the steering wheel; if the rear, you'll feel it more in your spine as it's driven up into your skull!

Sammy3700

Equipment
L3800HST,524Loader,BH77,Landplane,Disk,Mowers and more
Feb 20, 2012
Red Springs, NC
My experience is the rougher the tire, the rougher the ride. My friend has the L3800 with R-1s and it is as you described yours. I have a L3700 with R-4s and it is not as rough on harder surfaces.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I have the L3200 with R1s - basically the same tractor but with gears. With an empty bucket, the FEL represents about 2200lbs on the front axle. Filling the bucket with dirt adds on that significantly - about double the weight of the load. I feel the vibration at high speeds, although with gears and a load, I seldom go fast. Even with an empty bucket is vibrates on a gravel drive at high speeds.
Check the front tire pressure. That may have an impact on the vibration.
Is the vibration related to ground speed or motor/transmission speed - does it occur at the same speed in both ranges, or only when you are wide open?

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I don't see a problem here except for the "at full speed and full throttle"...

But the real issue is having enough weight on the 3 pt to counter the weight of
the FEL and it's load.

Jeff7pt62

Equipment
L3901
Oct 10, 2015
oklahoma city, OK
I did check transmission fluid level, yes it's HST. Did not check tire pressure. The dealer had just filled the tired with fluid for weight before I took possession of the unit. The dealer is going to swing by the house and drive it this week.... Going to see what's up.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I don't see a problem here except for the "at full speed and full throttle"...

But the real issue is having enough weight on the 3 pt to counter the weight of
the FEL and it's load.

Agreed. The LA525 has roughly a 1050 lb lifting capacity, and I've lifted that with one. Even with water in the rear tires, the rear of the tractor STILL gets REALLY light. It needs ballast. The guy down the road has a L3301, and expects the little tractor to lift big round bales of hay, and he's been throwing a fit to the dealer because supposedly they told him it'd lift bales. It will. But it also makes the tractor unstable. A wet round bale is not light weight.

Vibration is probably normal but I'd ask the dealer to do an oil sample from the front axle, check for metal debris. If no metal debris, it's fine and no further action should be needed. We have to remember that the 3301 and 3902 are base model tractors that don't have all of the functions and features that the Grand L series has, and the Grand L rides better, drives better, quieter, smoother, 3 point is smoother, etc. But all that comes at a price....

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Agreed. The LA525 has roughly a 1050 lb lifting capacity, and I've lifted that with one. Even with water in the rear tires, the rear of the tractor STILL gets REALLY light. It needs ballast. The guy down the road has a L3301, and expects the little tractor to lift big round bales of hay, and he's been throwing a fit to the dealer because supposedly they told him it'd lift bales. It will. But it also makes the tractor unstable. A wet round bale is not light weight.

Vibration is probably normal but I'd ask the dealer to do an oil sample from the front axle, check for metal debris. If no metal debris, it's fine and no further action should be needed. We have to remember that the 3301 and 3902 are base model tractors that don't have all of the functions and features that the Grand L series has, and the Grand L rides better, drives better, quieter, smoother, 3 point is smoother, etc. But all that comes at a price....
Yes Sir & it is surprising how many folks don't 'get' the counter weight on the 3 pt issue!