L3901 oil change

AKUBOTA

Equipment
L3901
Sep 30, 2017
anchorage, ak
hi all, have a L3901 i bought used ( had 55 hours on it), and am doing the first oil change since i have had it. got the correct filter from the dealer, and correct oil and all that. the owners manual says 7.1 quarts for this model kubota. i drained old oil, and when i put in the new stuff, i stopped at 5 quarts or so to see how full it was. the dipstick says right up to the fill mark. the manual says sometimes you have to run it a bit and check it again. so,,, i run it five min at idle, shut er down and check it again after 15 minutes. still shows full on dipstick. any ideas? this leaves me 2 quarts below spec. but shows filled up.

8upbowhunter

Equipment
L4701 FEL, Cutter, Discs and Land Plane
Dec 15, 2016
S/E Louisiana
Not sure on the L3901 but my L4701 has 2 drain plugs, if yours has 2 did you drain both sides of the oil pan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

AKUBOTA

Equipment
L3901
Sep 30, 2017
anchorage, ak
ummm, no i didn't. i unscrewed the plug on the right side as you face the bucket. why are there two by the way? i did see one on the other side but figured either one would work ok. is there a hump in the middle of the crankcase that prevents all the oil from draining with using just one?

L4060

Jun 29, 2017
Rayne, LA, USA
ummm, no i didn't. i unscrewed the plug on the right side as you face the bucket. why are there two by the way? i did see one on the other side but figured either one would work ok. is there a hump in the middle of the crankcase that prevents all the oil from draining with using just one?
Normally the front driveshaft runs right down the middle of the oil pan, so you have to drain both sides of the oil pan to get out all the old oil. At least on my L3430 and L4060 you have to drain both sides.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user