L3800HST First service

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I didn't change the trans fluid in mine at 50, just filter. I also feel just fine about that. :D

I will probably do the front end at 100 which is coming up soon. After hearing ya'll whine about how nasty it gets in 50 hrs. :p

Drew584

Equipment
Kubota L3800DT W/FEL, and 60'' LP Brushhog
Jun 17, 2013
Mannford ok
Just curious, what did your filter with the magnet look like? Anything like number 9's or more like mine and bluegills?

Yeah that fuel filter is messy, I broke my fuel filter body and I had fuel everywhere until I stuck a boot in it, I like bulldogs idea of installing a shut off valve.
I will post pics this weekend of my filters for you guys.

Drew584

Equipment
Kubota L3800DT W/FEL, and 60'' LP Brushhog
Jun 17, 2013
Mannford ok
Just curious, what did your filter with the magnet look like? Anything like number 9's or more like mine and bluegills?

Yeah that fuel filter is messy, I broke my fuel filter body and I had fuel everywhere until I stuck a boot in it, I like bulldogs idea of installing a shut off valve.
here is the hydraulic filter with 49.6 hrs on it.

Attachments

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
Drew, that filter is cleaner than mine and I didn't think mine was bad at all.

Bluegill, I didn't replace the fluid in mine either. I had intended to but the dealer told me it wasn't necessary and I had them double check. The manual only says to change the filters a 50 hrs, so I'm good with it too.

I know there are those on here that feel strongly about changing the fluid at the 50 hr mark, and I'm fine with that, I'm not saying they're wrong. I ran my fluid through a filter when I put it back in and got little to nothing out of it. The fluid is still very clear in the sight glass. My hydro actually seems less noisy for some reason, too.

If I have some type of catastrophic failure with my hydrostatic trans and it come down to not changing the oil at the 50 hr mark, I'll be the first to post the problem and admit my mistake. I don't see that happening though, I bought the best brand of tractor on the market for a reason and as long as I follow their maintenance schedule I should be good to go.

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
Figured I'd post an update regarding the machining chips that was on my filter magnet at 50hr service a couple pages back in this thread. Here's how the new filter looked when I done the 200hr service. Obviously, they didn't do a good job flushing the chips out during mfg. Hopefully, this is the end of the chips floating around in there, but definitely supports the decision to run OEM filter with the magnets on them.

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
Yep. I am going to change the filter in 50hr increments from here on until it's clean.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If I had that much iron floating around after the second filter I'd be changing the filter every 4-5 hrs. until it's clean---not waiting for another 50!

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Definitely some machining chips there...

Also get a magnetic drain plug or add one to the drain plug on the outside to attract metal that you can remove when you do change the fluids.

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
If I had that much iron floating around after the second filter I'd be changing the filter every 4-5 hrs. until it's clean---not waiting for another 50!
Good point, and I hadn't given it that level thought yet.

I'll order a few of them and change at 10hr intervals.

kvd

Jul 1, 2013
Elberton, GA
Hate to post to an old thread but I wanted to keep the info in this L3800HST Service thread.

Concerning the 4WD front axle lubricant, the manual recommends either Super UDT-2 or straight 80 or 90 weight gear oil. There would be unite a bit of viscosity difference between these two recommendations and I wonder which is better for operating in 80° to 95°F summer weather on hilly terrain. I use the 4WD pretty much constantly while bush hogging. I’m leaning toward the straight 90 weight as it seems the front axle gets heavy use around my place.

Another question I have concerns number9’s filter part number post on page one (very helpful info BTW – Thanks!). The transmission filter P/N is listed as HH3A0-82623 but my dealer sold me P/N HH3A0-82630. Which one is for the L3800HST transmission? - or are these two P/N’s about the same.

Ken

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
The hydraulic oil filter on the right side is HH3AO-82623.

The transmission oil filter on the left side is HHK7O-14070.

Sorry I don't know if a _30 will work for a _23. But the _23 is what's on my machine (L3800HST).

kvd

Jul 1, 2013
Elberton, GA

Sorry I don't know if a _30 will work for a _23. But the _23 is what's on my machine (L3800HST).
My mistake - thanks - not use to so many filters. So the 82623 is still a valid P/N. I thought there may have been a change in P/N since number9's post a few years ago. I better go back and exchange the one I have for the 82623 filter.

Ken

Last edited:

RIDETOEAT

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4600, LA764, LP Blade,
Dec 26, 2014
Southern Indiana
My 4600 is 6 months old now but only has 8 hours. My tractor is more of a snow remover, fork lift and toy that lives in a heated shop if it matters. Looking at some of these pictures is making me think I might want to do an early service and I have a few questions.

#1) Are those nasty oil filter pics all engine oil ??

#2) Is there some form of break in oil installed that really needs to stay in there for 50 hours ??

#3) Should I consider just changing that or all filters for now. 50 hours might realistically take me 2 years to accumulate.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
My 4600 is 6 months old now but only has 8 hours. My tractor is more of a snow remover, fork lift and toy that lives in a heated shop if it matters. Looking at some of these pictures is making me think I might want to do an early service and I have a few questions.

#1) Are those nasty oil filter pics all engine oil ??

#2) Is there some form of break in oil installed that really needs to stay in there for 50 hours ??

#3) Should I consider just changing that or all filters for now. 50 hours might realistically take me 2 years to accumulate.
Since you keep it inside changing as long as the hyd fluid looks clear I wouldn't be very concerned with it. I would keep a eye on it though since you said it's used it the winter and stored in a heated garage. You could get moisture in the oil from condensation. Just look at the hyd fluid to make sure it doesn't look milky, a sure sign of water.

Engine oil, I wouldn't wait for 50 hrs. At the very least you should change the oil once per year just to get rid of contamination in the oil from normal use.

Even though your not packing the hrs on there you still need to establish a maintenance routine that will keep your Orange baby protected. Sitting is almost as hard on a piece of equipment as abusing it. I would seriously consider using synthetic lubricants. Unless you use it for a few minutes at a time it must sit more than it's used. That leaves a lot of time where parts are sitting and not being lubricated, synthetics would give you a higher lever of protection on critical engine components. Just my $.02 :D

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
In case anyone is reading this thread that has one of the newer tractors with a diesel particulate filter, the regeneration cycle, especially if interrupted, can put diesel into the oil. So with those tractors engine oil changes are really important.

zippyslug31

Equipment
L3901, LA525, BH77, 72" BB, old Ford 22-63 PHD
Jun 27, 2015
Crooked River Ranch, Oregon

Just curious why there's effectively TWO filters for the single hydraulic system? Granted one is for the transmission and the other must be for hydraulically actuated implements, but if these are both part of the same shared fluid system, why are there 2 filters?

I'm researching the service for an L3901 and assume there are two filters in this case, too?

Sorry for the potentially silly question... I'm still learning! :confused:

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
It's common to have multiple filters. My Linkbelt trackhoe had 5 hyd filters, 2 engine oil, 3 fuel and 1 coolant filter. To do a full service it cost over $1K plus the cost of the fluids.