L3800 Won't make a sound

ddeason007

Jul 8, 2013
Guyton, GA, USA
Looking for any help with diagnosing. The only sound is the glow plugs clicking when you turn the key. I replaced the battery with a new one just in case but no change. Jumped clutch safety switch and no change. Jumped seat safety switch and no change. Can't find a switch for the HST pedal??

Thanks for any suggestions

Drew584

Equipment
Kubota L3800DT W/FEL, and 60'' LP Brushhog
Jun 17, 2013
Mannford ok
I have a L3800DT (not a hydro like yours), But mine did that to me, and the lever for the HI, Low, range was not all the way in Neutral, it was in the slot for neutral but it wouldn't start, I took it out of neutral and put it back in and it fired right up. Im sure you quadroople checked everything like the PTO lever, its probably something simple. I wish i could tell you more. Let us know what you found.

OkieDavid

Equipment
L 3010
Aug 29, 2012
Valliant, OK
Yep, since you've bypassed all the other safety switches it's time to try that one. You might be able to do it from the seat by wiggling the H-L lever with the key on. Otherwise locate the safety switch under the fender and wedge it pressed in with a stick.

ddeason007

Jul 8, 2013
Guyton, GA, USA
No solution yet. Jumped the starter and it fired right up so must be one of the safety switches. Jumped both PTO switches and nothing. Thanks for the thought on Neutral gear, will check that today. I can't find a safety switch for the HST petal?? My grandpappy did just fine all those years on his tractor without all this OSHA required safety crap.

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
No solution yet. Jumped the starter and it fired right up so must be one of the safety switches. Jumped both PTO switches and nothing. Thanks for the thought on Neutral gear, will check that today. I can't find a safety switch for the HST petal?? My grandpappy did just fine all those years on his tractor without all this OSHA required safety crap.
Mess with the HST pedal, that is a known cause.

I got along fine without all that crap too and still do, including HST. :D

GeauxLSU

Equipment
Kubota L3800HST
Jul 3, 2013
Summerville, SC
I had the same issue a few months back. Tried everything and couldn't get my L3800HST to fire off. I stepped on the HST pedal, turned the key and sure enough it cranked right up.

ddeason007

Jul 8, 2013
Guyton, GA, USA
Orange tractor fixed. It was the neutral safety switch for the HST pedal. Adjusted switch downward a couple of turns so plunger was pushed further into switch, fired right up. Only about two hours of mind stress!! :)

OkieDavid

Equipment
L 3010
Aug 29, 2012
Valliant, OK
Excellent! Thanks for the follow up. I remember "walking home" from the field one day when a rogue stick managed to disconnect a safety switch that I was unaware of. Troublesome rascals they can be...

rwthomasjr

Equipment
L3800
Jul 8, 2012
Columbia, SC USA
:confused:
How is the best way to access the Neutral safety switch?
I have the same problem. I have replaced the seat switch, pto switch and battery. I have also ordered a new starter but think it may be the HST neutral safety switch. I need to access the switch. Is it under the black metal cover next to the brakes? Can I access it from under the cover and spray lube on the linkages? I am throughly peeood!

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Been there and done that.

My dealer adjusted the switch so "wide" that it has not been an issue since.
I also clean that linkage and lube the joint for the rocker pedal when I zirc the bucket hinges.

The HS pedal on that machine is not the best design in the world. Just like the parking brake lever (idiot light?). And the 3pt valve. And the seat switch. And the PTO switch. And the HST noise. Other than that, I like my machine just fine!

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
The L3800HST switch is on top of the deck. The HST pedal moves links under the deck to actuate the switch. But the switch is by the right foot, mounted on a flange.