L3800 starting issue

1999harleyRN

Equipment
L3800, Ford 9N
Oct 15, 2016
Western NY
I have been having starting issues with my L3800 ranging from turning the key and getting nothing but a click to the machine gun rattle of a bad solenoid or weak battery. Searching on here helped me figure out it is probably the HST neutral switch. Rocking the pedal sometimes works but not always. I have read where some people have "widened the range" of this switch. Could someone explain the procedure for doing this? Thanks

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
You didn't mention which transmission you have, HST or DT (gear drive)? if HST....try adjusting the HST neutral switch.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Searching on here helped me figure out it is probably the HST neutral switch.
You didn't mention which transmission you have, HST or DT (gear drive)?
By his statement one could assume that it's a HST....But we all know how that goes. :p

So 1999harleyRN which model do you have?

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
Getting a click or “machine gun rattle” when turning the key should rule out an interlock switch, shouldn’t it?
Sure sounds like low voltage from the starter switch to the starter solenoid to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

rentthis

Lifetime Member
May 30, 2012
summerville,sc
Check for a bad ground connection where the battery ground cable connection bolts to the frame and at the battery. A bad ground will cause some of the craziest things.

1999harleyRN

Equipment
L3800, Ford 9N
Oct 15, 2016
Western NY
I will definitely check the ground connection at the frame (already cleaned and tightened both battery terminals). I am still pretty convinced its the HST switch. The tractor started better yesterday, but still had issues. However, each time it started right up with rocking the pedal. Should I just replace the switch?

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
The way to check the HST switch is with the tractor off. Carefully disconnect the HST connector from the switch. Now ohm on the switch itself. Terminal 1 to 2; and 3 to 4. It's a 2-pole switch. With the pedal in the center neutral position the ohms should be zero.

You can now move the pedal by hand to see where the switch engages and disengages.

There are several springs on the mechanical linkage to check.

Also check to see that the switch is mounted securely in its mounting interface. Sometimes the switch will become loose.

As has been suggested, it could also be a dirty connection. You may also want to ohm the seat switch and PTO switches.

1999harleyRN

Equipment
L3800, Ford 9N
Oct 15, 2016
Western NY
"Should"....but that pesky HST switch has been known to do exactly the same thing. BTDT!
So Lugbolt, how did you fix yours? Replace the switch?

She started better today, only needed to rock the pedal twice. This is my weekend to work so I won't have much of a chance to keep fiddling with it, but would appreciate any other suggestions.

BTW I appreciate the ones already given. I don't post much but do a lot of searching and lurking. I stumbled across OTT when I was researching weather or not my L3800 was a good buy, and joined the day I bought her.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
So Lugbolt, how did you fix yours? Replace the switch?

Adjusted it. Remove it with it's bracket from the pedestal with a 12mm socket, then adjust the switch IN a turn or so, reinstall and it's usually good to go. Once you look at it, you'll see what I'm talking about. I thought I rememberd a youtube video but a quick search didn't find it.