L3800 Pulling power

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
My L3800 with Ag tires would pull that no problem, I know my bush hog is 900 lbs...but its being pulled not plowing. That implement looks a lot lighter then 900lbs. Out in my pasture and woods I've been thankful for the extra bite of the Ag tires. But if its flat and level there I'd get the industrial tires.

gssixgun

Equipment
L3600, FEL, SnoBlower, Box Blade, Rear Blade, Forks, Cultivator, Plow
Jan 5, 2013
Sandpoint ID
www.gemstarcustoms.com
My L3600 will pull a double 14 bottom plow, but much depends on the soil conditions... The difference in the L3800 and L3600 is only a couple of HP and about 300 lbs

The link shows a Row Hipper with the plastic layer attachment, is that what your planning on pulling after the Bottom Plows ???

Also when using a turning plow don't forget the rear tire has to drop into the last row plowed, this is where AG tires show their difference,,

Edit: Hmmm just noted a rather substantial difference, in the 3pt lift power between the L3600 and the L3800 just make sure the implements you chose are within you working load limits..

The L3800 is rated for a 2x12 bottom plow just found it

Last edited:

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Hell ya, it'll pull it! Ag tires are the way to go, No way I'd want R4s on mine!

Only thing I'm pullin with the L3800DT (beside a mower & box blade) is larger white oak logs out of the woods. Largest yet a 24" dia at the butt, 19' long. No problem! :D

Boria

Apr 28, 2013
BACONTON, GA
My L3600 will pull a double 14 bottom plow, but much depends on the soil conditions... The difference in the L3800 and L3600 is only a couple of HP and about 300 lbs

The link shows a Row Hipper with the plastic layer attachment, is that what your planning on pulling after the Bottom Plows ???

Also when using a turning plow don't forget the rear tire has to drop into the last row plowed, this is where AG tires show their difference,,

Edit: Hmmm just noted a rather substantial difference, in the 3pt lift power between the L3600 and the L3800 just make sure the implements you chose are within you working load limits..

The L3800 is rated for a 2x12 bottom plow just found it
I was planning on using a rotary tiller after the bottom plow and then using the plastic mulch attachment. I realize that soil conditions will make a difference. I won't be plowing when the ground is hard and dry.

What is the lifting power on the L3800?

I have been leaning towards the Ag tires. I won't be driving the tractor in the yard or anywhere I really need to worry about aggressive tread. The tractor will be used more for farming, grading the driveway, gardening, and food plot type applications.

gssixgun

Equipment
L3600, FEL, SnoBlower, Box Blade, Rear Blade, Forks, Cultivator, Plow
Jan 5, 2013
Sandpoint ID
www.gemstarcustoms.com
Same way I use mine except I do a bunch of Snow removal on the road during winter..
My AG tires do well for all that in fact I haven't need to even chain up yet for snow..

When I do have to drive on the lawn (Today) I simply slip it into 2x4 and make sure I turn the front wheels while moving if at all possible..

This is a site to put in your favorites :)

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/tractor-brands/kubota/kubota-tractors.html

Tillage work can really work a tractor, ground make up and condition make a huge difference, a first time ground breaking and turning run in the spring can always make you wish for Tim the Toolman and "More Power" Urrrrruh

How big is the Garden plan ???

Last edited:

Boria

Apr 28, 2013
BACONTON, GA
This is a site to put in your favorites :)

http://www.tractordata.com/farm-tractors/tractor-brands/kubota/kubota-tractors.html

Tillage work can really work a tractor, ground make up and condition make a huge difference, a first time ground breaking and turning run in the spring can always make you wish for Tim the Toolman and "More Power" Urrrrruh

How big is the Garden plan ???
The garden is around 1/2 acre.

I am actually looking into maybe doing a little produce farming. I have 17 acres that my primary business sits on. Its a custom cabinet shop, so I am not looking to make a living at the farming but maybe a little extra side money and some good eating. I have always been interested in farming on a small scale. I have a 2 acre pond on the property and I had thought about pumping water into the pond to give my fish good fresh water and then pumping the water in the pond out to my garden/produce farm. I have to pump water into the pond anyway during the summer so I might as well add to the cycle and water some produce.

My property is out in the country in south georgia.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
Another heck yes it'll do it, but get the AGs! I'm quite unhappy with the
R4s, having had AGs in the past..

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
If I may toss my 2.5 cents in to the ring,,, If you have a tiller ( I did a lot of gardening back in the day when we had the greenhouses) I wouldn't even worry about the plow, the tiller will work well you just have to make several passes, dropping a little deeper with each one until you get to get the depth you want.
Your in Georgia so its probably that red clay, a real bytch when it's dry I bet.
The tiller will let you find the rocks and hard pan and work the dirt up, and you will also be able to start working in lime and fertilizer sooner,,
Which is something else I would recommend find your county agent or state farm office and get the soil checked to see what,, if any thing,, you might need as far as supplements, lime, acid, what ever and go from there. When I checked mine they had a hard time believing I need 9000 pounds of lime per acker, I did that over several years,,lol
This will save you a ton of disappointment when you put a lot of hard work in to a garden and get nada out of it .

Last edited:

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Very good info Skeets! I stopped using a bottom plow 23 years when we got a Troybuilt tiller. We also do the soil tests and add what's needed. :cool:

Boria

Apr 28, 2013
BACONTON, GA
Skeets,

I am in south georgia and my soil is actually not red clay. Its more a sandy/black soil with a white clay mixture. Its pretty hard when its dry but a couple of inches of rain softens it up quite a bit. The red clay soil is more middle to north georgia.

The big farmers in my area grow corn, cotton, and peanuts and they all turn their fields over in the winter with a bottom plow and I was always taught to do this as well.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Well ok I guess you have to go with what you know, I use to do 10 of corn and beans and stuff,, the critters got some but hell it was worth seeing them little critter grow up big and strong with nice antlers,, And no I never put one in the freezer from the property.. Anyway I wish you luck but remember it's the BIG GUYS that are doing it that way cause they have no time to muck about, you on the other hand its a hobby thing so time is not really a problem. Me I'm lazy, I would rather just run around the fields a couple of times with the tiller than going back and plowing and then having to till,,, OH and something I just thought of remember that when you plow you have to keep that one side in the ditch,, when you till that will throw off the depth of your till,, High spots verses low spots,, then you will have to go across the plowed part again trying to get rid of them,, The only reason I know this is because I did it like that 40 years ago and I don't think I ever cussed so much in my life,, Have a good one my friend and don't forget pictures:D

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
I am basically doing the same thing you are talking about doing. I went ahead and plowed my spot before I tilled it. I had not been turned or in years, so I figured it wouldn't hurt.

I have the R4 tires but if I didn't use it in my yard I would have the AG tires.

I had a 8 ft pull type cutting disk that I used to use with my old JD, it would struggle with it at times, up hills or if it was wet at all, I pulled it with my L3800 like it wasn't even back there. I was actually pretty shocked at how much easier it was to pull with the Kubota. The 4 wheel drive help of course....

Just my 2 cents.

Iguide

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L 6060 With all the bells & wistles I can muster, 5/ll & Lown performance protec
AG tires or R4s really depends on your application or perhaps more important the terrain. AGs are the best in more open fields/lands and moderate terrain and not necessarly for rough rocky stump laden steep lands. R4s IMHO are better for rough because of better sidewall strength. I have had both and each has it's appropriate application. Currently have R4s in the rough back country I own now but do not have the traction of AGs. That is where chains help, but I personally would not want AGs on this terrain as I want the least chance of blowing a tire out there.

It was my salesman's suggestion and he has run and sold for many years and in the long run he turned out to be right. The guy down the road bought a NH from another dealer, he has AGs and had blown several tires over the years including a loaded rear.

As with most things there is the best applications for an item and then there are not. Choose accordingly to you needs.

Backfire1

Equipment
L3800 HST w/ loader, Land Pride 72 in. FM, 8 Ft Disk, 6 Ft blade, 6 Ft rake,
Dec 13, 2014
Fayetteville
Defiantly AGs. You will not have a power problem but more of a traction problem. You might even look into getting the Grand L with a 35 HP motor or bigger. You will pay a couple thousand more but you will also get what you pay for. I wish I had purchased a Grand series. Any how the Grand weighs almost a 1000 lbs more. That weight will help you do so much more when it comes to moving the dirt around. Plus you will injoy all the great features of the Grand L series. Good luck and if you are on a budget like I was when I purchased my l3800 HST you will not be disappointed.

MattyNH

Equipment
Kubota L3800DT, R4 tires, Bradco Forks, Third function valve
Oct 15, 2014
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire
Hell ya, it'll pull it! Ag tires are the way to go, No way I'd want R4s on mine!

Only thing I'm pullin with the L3800DT (beside a mower & box blade) is larger white oak logs out of the woods. Largest yet a 24" dia at the butt, 19' long. No problem! :D
L3800DT here with R4s..This past summer pulled white oak logs 10 feet long and the was diameter of the wood was big, where a 8 foot chain barely went around the wood..I was impressed..

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
L3800DT here with R4s..This past summer pulled white oak logs 10 feet long and the was diameter of the wood was big, where a 8 foot chain barely went around the wood..I was impressed..
I've had my L3800DT for 3 years now and every time I use the lil' rig I'm still
impressed. Was logging with it the last few days... :cool: