L3800 oil change

Frank46

Equipment
L3800 La524 loader
Nov 4, 2013
new Iberia,LA
Hi all, recently did the oil change on the engine of my L3800. Manual for the L3800 says to use 7.5 quarts including the oil filter which was changed out at the same time. Now for the confusing part. The manual shows a dipstick that has a square section at the end with two lines with cross hatching in between. My dip stick is just a straight piece of metal with a small hole in it. So is the hole the high oil level or low oil level?. The oil level is about 1/2 to 5/8ths of an inch above the hole.
Had the Kubota oil 30 weight come in 2 one gallon jugs. 7.5 quarts is 15 pints so put one pint in a used 30 weight bottle from my riding mower. Pretty sure my math is right. Regarding the dip stick my best guess is that they changed the design square end with the two lines and cross hatching in between to just a straight stick with a hole in it. Did start the engine and oil pressure light came up and then went right off. So any help/assistance with this is greatly appreciated. Thanks,Frank

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I worked on all generations of the L3800, from the day they came out to the day they stopped making them.

NONE of them had cross hatching on the dip stick. All of them had holes, a low hole and a high hole. I hated that.

The book is wrong.

When doing an oil change, it's a good habit to get an idea how much it's supposed to have in it. If book says 7.5 quarts, dump 6 in it, and check it, then fill as needed until it's up to the high hole. Kubota manuals are written in Jinglish, in other words they are Japanese and then it's translated to English.

When I was in school, we had to translate Japanese to English and then back to Japanese, and the 2 Japanese versions were different. "Lost in translation" as we jokingly said. So there can be some loss of info during the translation, and I suspect that's what's happened in a few WSM's. Can't tell you how many WSM's show the wrong capacity. M9540 is one of them that sticks out in my mind; book says 12 quarts, but 12 is 2 quarts low; which always upset me because techs are ALWAYS running behind and having to get a busy parts person to pull 2 more quarts slowed me down. But the parts guys always went "by the book"-right or wrong. :mad:

Yes there's 2 drain bolts. One on each side of the oil pan, need to drain both. Many who've come into the shop cussed that design, but a lot of cars were that way too. Or a lot of Ford's were back in the 1980's and 90's. I've got 2 of them like that. One drain in the back and one in the front; I remember doing a lot of cop cars with 5.0 and 5.8 engines with dual sump pans.

Frank46

Equipment
L3800 La524 loader
Nov 4, 2013
new Iberia,LA
Yes, did pull both drain plugs. Thanks for the part number for the two hole dipstick. Will call the dealer and see if they have it in stock. Otherwise will have them order it and since I bought the insurance package should not cost anything. We'll see how that one goes. Thanks very much for your suggestions, help and part number. Very much appreciated. Frank

Frank46

Equipment
L3800 La524 loader
Nov 4, 2013
new Iberia,LA
Well as mentioned went over to the Kubota dealer and at the parts counter I explained the problem. I gave them the T1060-1660 part number and was told that it was not a Kubota part number. Lady brought out the manual and referenced the dipstick in the manual. Told her that is not the dip stick I have in my machine. beginning to sound like abbot and costello in who's on first. Since they don't make the L3800 anymore one lady started looking for tractors that used the same engine they had a used one and we went to check it out. Sure enough she pulls out the stick and there stamped on it were the non Kubota part numbers T1060-1660. Long story short they ordered another dipstick and if all goes well I should have it friday. I'm beginning to suscribe to the theory that 7.5 quarts is too much for this engine. Cause if the only hole in the stick I have shows 1/2" to 5/8" oil above that hole. Easy enough to loosen up one drain plug do a guesstimate as to how much has drained out and retighten the plug and if necessary add additional oil as needed. Will keep you posted. Thanks again. Frank

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Frank, you drained all the oil and added the correct amount. With your tractor on level ground, why not take a file scratch a mark where the oil level is at. Then you have a FULL mark you know is correct?

Frank46

Equipment
L3800 La524 loader
Nov 4, 2013
new Iberia,LA
D2Cat, good idea. But if the book/manual says 7.5 quarts why is it that when I drained the old oil out into 2 milk jugs I got only about 6 quarts? I full milk jug and another with about 2 quarts. reason I mention the 2 quarts is that is exactly what my sears riding mower takes including the filter. And that barely fills up the milk jug half way. Not exactly scientific reasoning but you get my drift. Now if my tractor L3800 had 7.5 quarts from the factory I would have almost two full milk jugs. Minus one pint. Oh yeah, I asked what would happen if too much oil in the crankcase what would happen. Blown seal says one lady. Frank

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
See Lugbolt's comments. Not all manuals have correct data in them. Do what is correct for your tractor, not what the manual says is correct....if you went through all the details and prove you're correct!!

Frank46

Equipment
L3800 La524 loader
Nov 4, 2013
new Iberia,LA
Well went over tothe Kubota dealer and they had my new dipstick part number T1060-16602 all nice and tucked away in its plastic wrapper. Didn't get to swap it out as the heavens opened up and rained like you wouldn't believe. Tuesday is dipstick day. Still have to say that 7.5 quarts id too much but will know tomorrow. Can always drain out the excess. Thanks for all your help in getting the correct dipstick and helping an old guy out. Frank

Frank46

Equipment
L3800 La524 loader
Nov 4, 2013
new Iberia,LA
Definitely way too much oil in the engine. Still have the milk jugs that I drained the old oil into. Looks to be about 6 quarts. So will set up my drain bucket and clean it real good and take the excess oil out. Funny thing when at the dealers one of the ladies took me over to a different tractor but same engine I have as well as the same numbered dipstick and when she pulled it out the oil was way pass the high mark on the stick. When doing engine oil changes anyone use a different brand than the Kubota oil?. Had to take the upper guide bar off the radiator to get the screen all the way off. Managed to get one side lined up with the captive spring that keeps the screen from moving but having problems getting the left hand side lined up right to get the spring screw in its hole. Have not installed the other two screws on the bar to the frame. My old metric and inch 30 year old socket set over the years was missing many of its sockets. Bit the bullet and got a Kobalt inch, metric, open end wrench set in a box with slide out drawers. getting too old to start chasing down sockets and wrenches in my roll around tool box at the other end of the house in the garage. One of these days will have to sit down and really check out that roll around tool box as over it has become a catch all for all of my tools. Inch and metric. Thanks again for the help. Frank

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
L3800 will use SAE 10W-30 or 15W-40. Oil class CF or CI-4 for diesel. There are other posts giving the likes and dislikes for particular brands, but the above is the minimum requirements.

Frank46

Equipment
L3800 La524 loader
Nov 4, 2013
new Iberia,LA
When I got the tractor the dealer gave me the oil filter and 2 gallons Kubota 30 weight oil. And yes being a good owner read the manual. took out one pint and there was my 7.5 quarts. Anyway today in the blistering heat 100+ degrees drained out approximately 1.5 quarts and I have one of those gizmos that will fit on gallon and quart oil bottles. And after checking the oil level I slowly added enough to get right at the high level on the dipstick. Pretty sure the correct amount is in the area of 6 quarts. Anyway thats over and I can breathe a sigh of relief. Blew out the radiator core, added a small amount of anti freeze in the overflow bottle. All I can say is thank God for carports. Which is where the L3800 resides. And thanks to all of you for your help, suggestions and comments they are greatly appreciated.Frank