L3800 HST fuel issue

PWM3rd

Equipment
L3800; Landpride RCR1260; BB1260; GS15; RB15; Titan PForks; PTB;
Jan 24, 2014
Central Illinois
I've started to have what I believe is fuel issue. Fuel filter looks clean so not sure if it needs replaced? Symptoms are tractor seems to lose power when driving. Particularly when I increase RPM's. Occurs in low, medium and high gear. Starts and idols just fine. I haven't used any diesel fuel cleaner, additive yet and just put in fresh 5 gallons of new diesel. Any suggestions on what to check/clean/replace before I call the dealership and have it taken in for shop work? Thanks. PWM3:confused:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
#1 loosen the fuel cap and see if that fixes the issue, if it does then you have a plugged vent.

PWM3rd

Equipment
Jan 24, 2014
Central Illinois
Thanks NIW. I'll give this a try this morning once I'm out in the barn. Followup question is what should I be looking to do if I do have a plugged vent? I actually had an old tractor guy/buddy tell me in coffee shop a few days ago when discussing my issue in this thread I've described and he thought it could possibly be an air issue also. Just trying to find out where to start looking. I did check the hoses and clamps going into the fuel filter and they were snug. Thanks for your knowledge and wisdom as I'm still new to this stuff. PWM3rd

#1 loosen the fuel cap and see if that fixes the issue, if it does then you have a plugged vent.

PWM3rd

Equipment
Jan 24, 2014
Central Illinois
I cleaned the air filter, evacuator and gas cap. Also added some Killem to tank. Drove tractor for bit and did seem better although not running as I've come to expect. I'm going to get a new diesel filter to make sure that there is no water in fuel and see if this clears it up. Thanks.

Check Air filter also, any black smoke?

L-35
JD 2010
Lots of other useful junk

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
What NIW is suggesting is a diagnostic to see if the vent lines are clogged. By running with a loose fuel cap, and a tightened cap, you would see if that was a cause.

The L3800 has two air vent lines: one from the fuel filter, and one from the injection pump. You would simply blow air through a disconnected line to see if it is open.

If the lines are clear, then I bet NIW will have a different test to run.

PWM3rd

Equipment
Jan 24, 2014
Central Illinois
Been wanting to get back related to this subject from June. I ended up replacing the fuel filter. I'm guessing I must have gotten some bad diesel at some point. When filter was removed there was a significant amount of what I can only describe as "think, clear jell" in the filter itself as well as bottom of glass filter cover. Without taking the filter off you'd never been able to see the residue/buildup. Almost reminded me of a "jellyfish" that washes up on the beach. My L3800 is back to running better than ever. It really frustrates me with the diesel that is sold locally and the inability to get pure diesel vs bio. I've had little or no luck with any additives I've tried to date. Thanks to all OTT. PWM3rd

outpost22

Equipment
L3800, RTV500
Feb 20, 2017
Eagle Point, Oregon, USA
Glad you found the easy fix. Just FYI for others if this happens. I just had the exact same thing happen to my L3800...gradual loss of power, etc. Mine turned out to be some foreign object/substance in my fuel tank outflow line. First I did a fuel filter change, nothing changed. I then drained all of my fuel tank, and blew compressed air up the line after removing it from the fuel filter. I then took a wet/dry vac and vacuumed out my fuel tank. It has run perfectly now for over a month. I can't understand how the fuel was contaminated as my fuel pumps from a 55 gal drum, through a prefilter and out the fuel filler nozzle. Evidently when I used to fill the tractor from 5 gallon cans a few years ago, maybe crud floated around in their until it actually blocked the line. Anyway, hope this may help someone else later.