L3800 DT 2012 price ?

TexasRedneck

Equipment
Looking
Jul 19, 2015
Crockett, Texas
Local dealer sold this and just took it in on trade.

2012 L3800 DT manual trans bucket grapple two sets of rear remotes 202 hours. All service done by dealer. Garage kept. Tires look new. La 574 loader.

Asking 18,900

Is that reasonable in y'all's estimation?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
It's about the normal selling price for that tractor. ;)

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
TR,

One thing to consider is folks are reporting the older diesels without the new emissions items are holding their value because buyers want to avoid the teething pains associated with the technology. If that tractor is as sweet as it sounds and meets your needs, I'd jump on it as its not even close to being broken in yet. See if you can wangle a warranty or an implement at that price. He's got some wiggle-room in the deal.

Good luck.

We DEMAND pictures if you get it.:p

TexasRedneck

Equipment
Looking
Jul 19, 2015
Crockett, Texas
Thanks for the note. I'm all about the pics. I'm also looking at an 2010 L4400 HST wit 600 hrs on it. 4wd, no rear remotes and two way plumbed to the front for a grapple but no grapple. 17,700 from an individual so no tax. I got burned years ago when I first entered the world of diesel trucks and really don't want to repeat that with the tractor. The two considerations are manual vs HST and dealing with a reputable dealer vs an individual. Both tractors look nice although I've only seen pics of the 4400 since it's about 100 miles from me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I paid 15K for a 2011 L3800DT with 14 hrs on it, from a dealer (no tax here on farm equipment), but that was 3.5 years ago. Prices are up considerably now... I'd do it again, love this little rig!!!

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
HST has let my wife run my machine. She is allergic to clutches. :)

I bought a 2012 used L3800 HST from a guy who had dropped a mobile home axle off the bucket and smashed the hood and cracked the fiberglass roof. It was about $900 to repair the hood and lights so I got the machine at 126 hours looking like it had been punched in the nose. Got a roto-tlller, box scraper, and a rake in the deal, all 15 mos old, and I paid $19,250 in 2013. The seller said he had $28k in the package, including tax.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Local dealer sold this and just took it in on trade.

2012 L3800 DT manual trans bucket grapple two sets of rear remotes 202 hours. All service done by dealer. Garage kept. Tires look new. La 574 loader.

Asking 18,900

Is that reasonable in y'all's estimation?
I paid about that for a new 2013 L3200DT in 2014. Nobody in the area was dealing on the units because Tier 4 came out and the older models were selling 'at sticker', almost $1k over what the new Tier 4 units were going for.

The dealership had been using it on their lot as a tug so it had 10 hours on it, and the owner really wanted to talk me out of a BX25D (I'm not a small guy) so he gave it to me for $18,200. Mine doesn't have any remotes, grapple or anything you list, just the unit and the LA524 loader.

So, it's about in line with what you are looking at for 3 years down the road with some hours on it.

These L3X00's from 2010 to 2013 are probably going to hold their value as the last units before Tier 4.

I had a guy offer me 19K for mine as was because he wanted to avoid the Tier 4. Admittedly, it only had 21 hours on it at the time, but it was more than what I paid for it.

TexasRedneck

Equipment
Looking
Jul 19, 2015
Crockett, Texas
Thanks for all the replies and input pulled the trigger today. Will pick it up Saturday and post pics. Look forward to great dialogue and learning from some sage tractor owners.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
TR,

Awesome machine. SCARY grapple! Good for moving trees I imagine. The "tars" look like brand new too. It was obviously well taken care off. I am thinking you will soon figure out you were working way too hard before this machine arrived. I use mine all the time, often as a powered wheelbarrow just to move stuff around or trash to the dumpster. I have no idea how I'd manage this place without that tractor.

Let us know how you like it!

:) Ray

PS If you are into that kind of stuff, give it a coat of New Finish silicone wax and then re-apply in a month. Doing that once a year will keep your paint in pristine shape. I also use load of WD-40 after lubing the FEL joints (breaks up the grease) as well as wetting down the 3pt and PTO ends with WD, usually after a wash down. The wax in WD keeps stuff from sticking in the future and protects against corrosion.

Last edited:

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
My tractor doesn't see the dealership often but, when it does, it goes in spic and span. For some reason, they take that as a sign of a potentially picky owner and bend over backwards to help me out.

I got the machine with a smashed hood and rebuilt the entire hood and light assemblies about a year after I got it. When it went in for the 3-pt valve replacement, the service writer and mechanic both said mine was the cleanest example of a 2012 L3800 they had ever seen. I told them about the hood and they couldn't believe it until I showed them the repair areas. I sent them before pics and they were shocked and commented on the repair job when I went to pick it up. The one clue most people miss is my tractor has no Kubota hood ornament.

Tractors are like motorcycles. A lot of people think they are made to abuse. But, with a little care, they last a lot longer and to me, provide a lot better ownership experience.

When we got the machine, the hood was so bashed in, I just took it off for the first year of use. We called it the "Ghetto 'Bota." And no, I didn't do the sheet metal work. I hired a pro from the local car body shop. I paid $400 for the stage you see in the picture and spent another $100 in rattle cans. The hood without lights and decals is $800. I think I did it all for about $800, which the seller offered me $1000 off when I bought it. Its amazing what a mobile home axle can do if dumped over the top of the bucket. At least you didn't have to deal with body damage! I also had to repair the fiberglass roof which got bashed in the incident.

Attachments

Last edited: