L3800 buying advice

Rubo

May 7, 2014
Santa Fe Texas
Hi Im finally making the decision to purchase my own tractor. At first i decided on the L3200 but then decided the extra HP on the L3800 may come in handy one day. So far ive priced the L3800 HST with R4 tires and QA 66" bucket. Also looking into a 3rd function, grapple and box blade. Before I purchase is there any advice on things I should add before closing the deal? Also i was told Kubota doesnt make a 3rd function for the L3800 instead they would have to add a connection in the rear and run hoses to the front. Any input welcomed thanks.

BTW this site has been extremely informative as a future owner.

78-79fordman

Equipment
2013 m7040hd 2013 L3800HST 1969 MF135
May 21, 2013
Gillham Ar.
Cruise control wouldn't let it leave with out it it's $200 or so . We add a bucket level rod kit also just makes life a little easier and great if you have never used a bucket much .

L3800 is a great tractor for the size we love our l3800hst
I'm going to add the W.R. Long 3rd function . Will probley buy it from everything attachments
http://www.everythingattachments.com/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Rubo

May 7, 2014
Santa Fe Texas
Cruise control wouldn't let it leave with out it it's $200 or so . We add a bucket level rod kit also just makes life a little easier and great if you have never used a bucket much .

I'm going to add the W.R. Long 3rd function . Will probley buy it from everything attachments

Whats the advantage of cruise control? Im also looking at EA 3rd function, looks like a good place to purchase attachments.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
If you do the rear remotes (I recommend) do at least 2 three if you can they come in extremely useful.

On the loaders quick attach (there are 2 different types available), I would go with the SSQA attachment, more attachments offered for that setup.

A box blade is good, but limited, a strait blade will work summer and winter.

FLHollowPoint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST 4WD, 72" finish mower, 72" rake, 5' Bush hog, 5' box blade, hay spear
Feb 16, 2014
Weirsdale, Florida, USA
I just bought the same tractor. Cruise control comes in handy when mowing. Also I recommend the canopy. Living in the south its a big difference when out in the hot sun. If you don't have the dealer install a rear work light, I would install one yourself. It is nice to have when unhooking or working late into the evening. This is one bad ass machine, and I am confident that you will be very satisfied. I am.

Gamehunter

Equipment
L3800,LandPride Mower, Ford Flail Mower, Green Tiller
Apr 13, 2014
Cadillac,MI
I have had mine a couple of weeks now and am waiting for my cruise control to be installed. I also would have them install the second grab handle on the right side, holes are there, don't know why they don't include it. I had dealer install lights from their UTV line and they were included in the warranty, great LED lights also. The also have a second air filter that fits inside the one on the machine. I will be adding this shortly. Congrats on your purchase.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I agree on the cruise control - worth the money. Insist on the right side hand grip on the fender - he really should just toss it in. About $30. Fill the rear tires - my dealer tossed that in. If you are using the FEL, you want something heavy - over 600lbs (1000lbs is better) on the 3ph. That is in addition to filled rear tires. Maybe a heavy tiller? Bush hog? You can work your best deal now, as a package.
My dealer charged me $500 for a piece of hydraulic hose from the FEL control back to the ROPS, a QD set and a bracket. If you are a bit handy you can do it all for about $100.

FLHollowPoint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST 4WD, 72" finish mower, 72" rake, 5' Bush hog, 5' box blade, hay spear
Feb 16, 2014
Weirsdale, Florida, USA
Gamehunter is correct. Have them put the inner air filter on. If they don't throw it in the deal, buy one and put it in. If you are in a dusty environment you will be thankful you did.

Rubo

May 7, 2014
Santa Fe Texas

Whats the advantage of cruise control? Im also looking at EA 3rd function, looks like a good place to purchase attachments.

78-79fordman

Equipment
May 21, 2013
Gillham Ar.
The cruise is nice when your doing long work at a set speed so you don't have to hold the peddle. They should come standard on all HST tractors

Rubo

May 7, 2014
Santa Fe Texas
Sorry for the repost. I will look into the cruise control, right side handle, doulbe air filter and tire fill.

What do most fill their tires with? Sounds like something i can do if they want to charge me big $$.

Also what would i need the Telescoping stabalizer for on the 3pt hitch?

Sorry for the newbie quetions!

Rodeo hunter

Equipment
l4400hst with loader,
Apr 2, 2014
Indiana
It helps stop the dreaded " lawnmower foot" as I call it. It's when your feet goes numb from holding that little pedal down on drives and long pulls. It's nice when driving to neighbors or back in the woods. I have a gear drive so no issue here for me but my ford gt75 mower is hst diesel and I use the cruis quite frequently.

UnionMan

Equipment
M5-111HDC12, L3800 HST , RTV-X1100C, SCAG TigerCat 61" Kawi FX Motor
Aug 21, 2013
Warrenton, VA
Sorry for the repost. I will look into the cruise control, right side handle, doulbe air filter and tire fill.

What do most fill their tires with? Sounds like something i can do if they want to charge me big $$.

The Telescoping stabilizers make it easier to hook up 3pt implements instead of using the cheaper turnbuckles. I didn't buy my L3800 with them and ended up getting a set from Hodge who is a member on here who makes telescoping stabilizers for all models.

Also recommend cruise control. I got it on mine but then again the dealer I bought mine from orders all his tractors with CC. Doesn't see why anyone with HST wouldn't want the added feature.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA

You can fill the tires with water if it never freezes hard down there. Farther north we use water + antifreeze, water + CaCl, or rimguard (beet juice). CaCl is heaviest, but very corrosive. You should have an inner tube for it. Rimguard is the most $$, but is pretty heavy, and non corrosive; it also will not hurt animals if you spring a leak.

Ebay has adaptors - about $15 shipped - for filling tractor tires - search "air / water adapter". Put the tractor on a jack stand, rotate the rear tire until the valve stem is at 12 o'clock, and let the air out. Unscrew the end of the valve stem, and screw on the adaptor. Hook up a water hose to it, and fill away. The adaptor has a relief button to relieve pressure. If you overfill the tire, let the water drain back out until you are even at 12 o'clock; you want the air cushion at the top. Once filled, put the stem end back in, and fill it with air to the normal pressure.

As I said, my dealer tossed in the rimguard as part of the deal.

Telescoping stabilizers are nice if you change implements a lot.

Rubo

May 7, 2014
Santa Fe Texas
Thanks a lot fellas the dealer has quoted me a L3800 HST with R4 tires, SSQA 66" bucket and filled rear tires with water for $20712 drive out. Is that a fair deal? I may just fill the tires myself, i haven't asked what they are charging.

I asked about the Cruise control and the stabilizers an he said it would be the price on Kubota website plus labor to install.

Gamehunter

Equipment
L3800,LandPride Mower, Ford Flail Mower, Green Tiller
Apr 13, 2014
Cadillac,MI
I brought mine home a few weeks ago and paid $20225 but this was with out tax as I use it to farm. This included L3800, FEL w/ QD bucket, Filled tires, CC, extra lights, right handle and level indicator. I am also talking to them about KTAC insurance right now as my dealer never mentioned it and told me to put it on my home owners policy. If he would have mentioned the insurance it would have been included in my monthly payment than paying it for the full year upfront, not a big deal but I would have rather paid out by the month than to pay by the year. They also welded chain hooks on the bucket, these are also a must for me, I use them for dragging trees for lumber.
Thanks a lot fellas the dealer has quoted me a L3800 HST with R4 tires, SSQA 66" bucket and filled rear tires with water for $20712 drive out. Is that a fair deal? I may just fill the tires myself, i haven't asked what they are charging.

I asked about the Cruise control and the stabilizers an he said it would be the price on Kubota website plus labor to install.

Rubo

May 7, 2014
Santa Fe Texas
I brought mine home a few weeks ago and paid $20225 but this was with out tax as I use it to farm. This included L3800, FEL w/ QD bucket, Filled tires, CC, extra lights, right handle and level indicator. I am also talking to them about KTAC insurance right now as my dealer never mentioned it and told me to put it on my home owners policy. If he would have mentioned the insurance it would have been included in my monthly payment than paying it for the full year upfront, not a big deal but I would have rather paid out by the month than to pay by the year. They also welded chain hooks on the bucket, these are also a must for me, I use them for dragging trees for lumber.
Looks like you got a good deal, my price is also without taxes. I may end up taking my business to another dealer. Its been three days and the price has changed twice. Its frustrating when you ask a question and every time the answer is let me look ill call you back and then you don't hear back. I asked him to quote me a grapple with a 3rd function and after two days of not hearing back he called with a price of $4400, which seamed over priced. Im frustrated with his customer service.

Rubo

May 7, 2014
Santa Fe Texas
Finally spoke to a sales person that was helpful. He is pricing me the same L3800 HST with SSQA 66" bucket and R4 tires for $20700. The plus is he worked me a package deal on implements i wanted.

5ft Mohawk brave 5
5ft Armstrong box blade BB05 (special combo price for blade and mower $1500)
Armstrong 42" pallet forks PFLT $550
Armstrong 64" grapple BGRLT $1200

I know the implements arent land pride or better but i think its still a good deal. Opinions welcomed.

78-79fordman

Equipment
May 21, 2013
Gillham Ar.
If they don't install the cruise and other items for free I would buy some where else . If they want to charge labor I wouldn't buy from them .

Heck my m7040 I had stuff installed at a different dealer than I bought it from and they charged no labor just the price for the items which was normal price . Heck it's where we bought our l3800 and they installed all the add ons free .

And ya I forgot you highly want the extendable stabilizers because the turnbuckles are crap . I have got to get some hodges ordered

Last edited: