L3800 brush mowing advise

buckaroo52

Equipment
Kubota L 3800 DT
Jun 5, 2013
Molalla, Oregon
I'm wondering if a half bucket of gravel will help with stability while mowing a sidehill field. I have a 60" landpride mower. Any help will be appreciated.

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
Take the FEL off, it's much more stable mowing sideways. Wheel spacers help too, I went with 3" (ea side) on mine. It made a good difference but I wish I'd gone wider at times.

The tractor center of gravity is down near your feet. Having the FEL on puts about 1,100# of weight and weight transfer up at the top of the hood.

But....I will say that when I turn up hill on some spots with the 60" rotoray cutter on the back, the front tires are just skimming the ground and I can't steer til I get to the top. When Im pulling the 72" finish mower I don't have the issue. I'm gonna build a front bumper / weight soon. Don't know how heavy it'll be yet, but I'd like to see about 200# on the front.

Last edited:

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
I agree with number 9, take the FEL off when mowing.

It's much easier to take on and off than I thought it would be.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
I put 2-1/2" spacers for the rear wheels - any wider and the wheels are wider than the FEL bucket, and always take off the FEL. The tractor feels MUCH better without it. To counter the weight of the brush hog, I built this bumper, from a 20' stick of 1x4 flat bar (about 270 lbs). It works GREAT. Suitcase weights will not co-exist with the FEL.

Attachments

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
I filled my front tires today. R4's, held about 6 1/2 gal of window washer fluid. That should be around 108# of front weight on the ground. I'm still gonna make a bumper to protect the tie rods and add a little more weight, but now it doesn't have to be so heavy and it won't all be on the axle.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Remember on a tractor the front axle pivots until it hits stops so in the early stages of a roll it does nothing for stability. The loader is putting weight where it will work against you. Removing the loader will reduce the weight above the center of gravity.
Dave M7040

Bluegill

Equipment
L3750DT Shuttle, L3800DT FEL both
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
Like said, Remove The FEL When Mowing! The tractor will handle 100% better and be much more stable. I spend more time mowing on mine than anything and I will not mow with the FEL on!!!

Rear tires out as wide as possible, full of fluid and wheel weights all will help greatly too...

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
I put 2-1/2" spacers for the rear wheels - any wider and the wheels are wider than the FEL bucket, and always take off the FEL. The tractor feels MUCH better without it. To counter the weight of the brush hog, I built this bumper, from a 20' stick of 1x4 flat bar (about 270 lbs). It works GREAT. Suitcase weights will not co-exist with the FEL.
I built a similar bumper for mine after seeing yours here. Nice work!

senecak19

Equipment
Dethatcher, Brush Forks, Land Plane
Jun 20, 2013
Western MA
Anyone have a video of the FEL removal and re-installation? I'm at work right now, and thought I saw something in the manual about this, but a video of watching someone do it might help. (My tractor has made one lap around my property to-date so I can't relate to any of this just yet).

number9

Equipment
L3800HST, 4x4, LA524
Apr 25, 2013
KY
- Unfold the "kickstands" and pin them in place.
- Lower the bucket down on the concrete.
- Curl the bucket slowly (like you are dumping dirt) and watch the pins by your knees to move when they get a little slack in them. They will move, but barely.
- Feel and make sure the pins are loose enough to pull out.
- Pull the pins out and put them in the holders.
- Curl the bucket slowly (like you are scooping up dirt) and the FEL frame will lift off the tractor.
- Make sure you curl the bucket so it is sitting flat on the concrete. This will prevent pressure building up in the lines and making it hard to reconnect them when you put it back on.
- Turn the tractor off.
- Move the joystick IN ALL DIRECTIONS several times to releive pressure in the hoses.
- Disconnect the quick connects with a rag on them to catch the fluid that will leak out (just a little).
- Put the dust caps on the quick connects and hang the hoses across the top of the FEL frame.
- Start the tractor and slowly back out from under the FEL.

I was really nervous doing mine the first time, but its cake once you've done it a time or two.

Drew584

Equipment
Kubota L3800DT W/FEL, and 60'' LP Brushhog
Jun 17, 2013
Mannford ok
I agree with most take the loader off when hogging its much better, I took mine off for the first time this weekend and it was a little tricky. I watched the youtube video as well and read the manual too. the trick is in the roll of the bucket once your able to get the pins out play with your bucket rolling it down slowly and up slowly and you can see what you need to do, thats how i learned, now that I did it once it will be alot easier next time.

Benhameen

Equipment
2012 Kubota L3800 HST W/FEL and 1963 JD 2010 row crop utility
Jan 27, 2013
Southern IL.
I'll second what bluegill posted.

At first, I kept my FEL on all the time but now I find that I have it off more than on.

Give it a shot its easy...

Bluegill

Equipment
Jan 11, 2012
Success Missouri
When I learn how quick and easy it was on the L3800, the FEL started staying off most of the time.

I'd buy another tractor without FEL before I'd mow with FEL on. :p

Bonk

Equipment
L4600, BX2370
Apr 21, 2013
Kentucky
I have to agree with the consensus here and say I much prefer to mow without the FEL.

I've only had my L4600 for a few months and at first I did everything with the FEL attached. Finally, I decided to remove it mainly to see how hard/easy it was to remove. I should have read the directions first. I got it off okay but when I tried to reconnect it I couldn't get a couple of the hoses reconnected. My mistake was I didn't relieve the pressure in the lines by cycling the joystick and I didn't have the bucket flat on the ground. Since I couldn't get the lines reconnected immediately I went ahead and started to mow a couple of pastures.

What a difference in overall handling it made! I'm never, ever brushhogging again with the FEL attached. My property is pretty hilly (north central KY). The only down side was like someone else mentioned about turning up a hill and having the front end skim just a little bit. OTOH, it's a thousand times easier to maneauver in tight spots and along fence lines.

I finally got the FEL reattached by using a wrench to relieve a little pressure in the lines. As others have mentioned my FEL now remains off the tractor most of the time.