L3710 HST Weird starting issue

DavidS

Equipment
L3710 HST
Jan 13, 2016
Ware Ma
This morning I started up my tractor as usual with no issues. I was bringing firewood up to the house. I shut the tractor off while I load the bucket. On about the 3rd start there was a funny click / snap sound and the starter never cranked. I played with the range shift lever to confirm that I had it in neutral and it was. I tried to start it again and there was no dash lights at all so I checked the voltage in the battery and there was 13 volts. I then pulled all the fuses by the brake pedal to see if any one was blown and they were all fine. Then just for haha's I turned the key. All the dash lights were back & it started right up. Then I finished with the firewood and started and stopped it several more times with no issues. I am concerned that this issues is a symptom of something getting ready to fail which will become a major issue as I use the tractor to plow my 700' driveway.
Has anyone had this issue? Does anyone have an idea what could have caused this issue?
Thanks
David

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Seat switch going out alignment a bit?

I would also bump the PTO selector or check the switch alignment on that.

And the HST switch could bet the problem - this sounds more likely than the other 2 mentioned.

I had a similar situation on my BIL B2920 ..... no start - somehow when getting off the PTO level was bumped a bit and once moved it cranked fine.

Fedup

Apr 6, 2016
Winchester
The "no dash lights' condition pretty much rules out safety switches and related circuits. It smacks of battery, battery cable/ground/power connection somewhere. I would revisit that side of things. Where the ground cable bolts to the tractor would be a good starting point.

Reactions: 2 users

Lug66

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610HSDC, Z422KWT
Jun 7, 2023
SW Michigan
The “snap” could be a short to ground . Don’t overlook the wiring insulation along with tight connections. Any damage to the insulation can allow the electrons to take a shortcut.

Reactions: 1 users

N3BP

Equipment
B7200DT, B7200HST-D, L2900GST, L3010 HST TLB
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
It sounds like you have a loose or corroded connection. Check all cable ends and grounds. Make sure they are clean and tight.

Reactions: 1 user