L3600 GST - Glow plug lamp stays on

Timnj

Equipment
l3600 gst
Jul 5, 2011
Milford, NJ
After running the tractor for over 15 minutes the glow plug lamp finally turned off. So, I think the problem could be one of the following components;

1.) Glow plug relay - Is there any way to test?

2.) Glow plug controller - Is there any way to test?

3.) Pre-heat Water temperature Relay (sensor)
-Does anyone know the resistance range for this device?

The service guy at the dealer did'nt have much to say about this problem accept for his final statement,

"it could be the glow plug controller, most of the glow lamp problems is the glow controller, or it could be glow plug relay or the temp. relay or maybe any electrical part".

At least he helped by narrowing down the components in the glow plugs circuit!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
I'm not able to help you but I'm having the same or similar problem with my 1999 L3010. The glow plug lamp stays on sometimes but the tractor starts and runs normally. If I switch it on...off...on again sometimes the GP lamp goes off as it should. Sometimes it will come on again while running if the engine is idling but it seems to stay off if I'm running at higher rpms and stays off after some run time. I can hear the relay switch click off several seconds after switching the key off on a cold engine. I talked to a tech at a Kubota dealer and he mentioned a possible problem with a GP timer? same as controller?

Timnj

Equipment
l3600 gst
Jul 5, 2011
Milford, NJ
Kingcreek do a search on this site and search for a thread titled "L3010 start problem". If you can get the wiring diagram for your tractor then the wiring diagram will show you the layout of components and their names.

At this time, I am not sure if the glow plug controller is the same as a glow plug timer! I know on my L3600, I have a glow plug relay and a glow plug controller.

They might be calling the glow plug relay a glow plug timer.

Let me know what you find out.

Tim

Last edited:

ibentaken

Feb 10, 2010
desoto kansas
I had the same problem with a 3300gst. My dealer wasn't much help either. I ask the parts man for a break down of the componets in the system then I changed the relay and the timer. You have to remove the dash on the 3300 to get to these parts. You will also need to remove the tach cable on the motor to get enough room to replace these parts at least I had to on the 3300.After replacing both
parts I haven't had any more problems. I recommend replacing both parts because of the work you have to go to to replace them. Hope this helps.

Kingcreek

Equipment
Grand L3010 GST 4wd, LA481FEL, various attachments and accessories
Aug 3, 2011
NW Illinois
Thought I would post an update on my GP issue. It seems to have "fixed" itself. it functions normally almost all the time, only occaisionally acts as it did. I s'pose it will unfix itself again someday.