L3560 vs L4701

BoCoon

Mar 4, 2017
Old River Winfree, Texas
Looking for some help here. I've got my new tractor choices narrowed down (I think) between the Grand L3560 and the L4701 HST.
I have 10 acres of east Texas woods I want to do some pretty heavy bush hogging on. I'll also be cutting down quite a few large trees so being able to push a pile of logs for a burn pile is a plus. Add grading a private road regularly to the list.
I started my search thinking I wanted a 3301 or 3901, but after a closer look the 4701 and 3560 offer much more capacity and just look heavier built. Longevity is important to me.
The specs: L3560 has a bit more lifting capacity on the front and rear with an 805 loader. It also weighs more than the 4701. The hydraulic pump is bigger on the 3560. HST+ benefits seem to be nice as well, although I have no real world comparisons. I do prefer the foot pedal on the 3560 for comfort and ease of use. The 4701 will accommodate a 6' cutter where the 3560 seems better suited for a 5'. Bigger may be better but I can live with either cutter.
My struggle comes down to HP. I've never used a tractor beyond the mid 30 range. Also never used a HST other than at the dealership. All things are basically even with the numbers on these tractors except for the increased HP on the 4701. Will I have a noticeable advantage with it? Or will the 3560 do everything I need while having the benefits of the extra comforts? Thanks in advance for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Re: 3560 vs 4701

The 3560 has a bunch of things in addition to operator comfort that come in handy:

The Intellipanel has a graph that shows how fast the dpf is accumulating soot so you know when a regen cycle might be coming up and you can plan your work accordingly.

The HST plus with auto throttle is really nice for loader work, you don't need 3 hands as often since the foot pedal adjusts speed and rpm as needed, and stall guard switches ranges as needed.

The fuel fill is at a more reasonable height.

The transmission is quieter than the B series, no HST whine, not sure about the L4701. The control is solenoid rather than geared.

BoCoon

Mar 4, 2017
Old River Winfree, Texas
3560 vs 4701

I definitely noticed all the things you mentioned. Many helpful extras. Still just struggling with possibly regretting not having the extra horses. Curious to see if anyone has performed similar work as to what I will be and if they have any regrets about not going bigger. Main concerns are power at the pto when using a cutter and power to push and pull heavy items around.

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX

3560...hands down. the power might seem nice, but I assure you, the 3560 will do what you want. I have 2 properties and help on many others in the 4060....which really doesn't have much more power, I've found the power to be more than sufficient in every scenario, I'm pulling a 6' and it only bogs in 4 foot tall thick wet grass......if I did it all over again, the only thing I would probably do different is splurge a bit more for the 4760 and MAYBE the cab. love the intellipanel, love everything about the HST+, all of those features are used almost every day. go grand and don't look back.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY

My struggle comes down to HP.
I have no experience with either, so please take this with a grain of salt.

HP means nothing without weight. I would compare weights of both.

If similar or equal, I question how much more work those extra 12 ponies will get you.

Either the 3560 or 4701 will need ballast in the right places to get to their full potential for FEL or 3PH lift work. For just hoggin'/PTO work, the more HP translates directly to more capacity.

I grew up with 1950 Minneapolis Moline ZAU at 32 hp. It weighs ~6,000 lb as it sits. I can pull bigger loads with it versus what a 30hp 3,000 machine might do.

I also read here many times the amenities of the Grand L's over the base models are very desirable.

BoCoon

Mar 4, 2017
Old River Winfree, Texas

Thanks virginiavenom. That's the kind of stuff I need to hear. My gut tells me it will be enough. I'm trying to be careful not to get caught up in the HP number only. I guess my only concern would be that the 3560 is a 3 cylinder whereas the 4060 is a 4. Not sure if that makes any difference.

BoCoon

Mar 4, 2017
Old River Winfree, Texas

I have no experience with either, so please take this with a grain of salt.

HP means nothing without weight. I would compare weights of both.

If similar or equal, I question how much more work those extra 12 ponies will get you.

Either the 3560 or 4701 will need ballast in the right places to get to their full potential for FEL or 3PH lift work. For just hoggin'/PTO work, the more HP translates directly to more capacity.

I grew up with 1950 Minneapolis Moline ZAU at 32 hp. It weighs ~6,000 lb as it sits. I can pull bigger loads with it versus what a 30hp 3,000 machine might do.

I also read here many times the amenities of the Grand L's over the base models are very desirable.

Based off what I hear, the only thing I'd really gain in the 47 would be capacity to handle larger implements due to all specs being pretty equal, other than hp.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY

the only thing I'd really gain in the 47 would be capacity to handle larger implements
Everything else being equal, it would only amount to PTO implements, due to HP. In your case, the 'hog at 5 or 6 feet, unless there were tillers, blowers or similar PTO-driven implements in the future.

The Grands are ones many talk about here with admiration. Sheepfarmer, TripleR and Bulldog are 3 that come to mind quickly.

But again, without personal experience, I'm just guessing. Take that for what it's worth - which probably isn't much.

Best wishes and good luck! These are great problems to have! :D

Last edited:

virginiavenom

Jan 30, 2015
Sherman, TX

the biggest reason I took the 4060 over the 3560 is it wasn't much more at my dealer. like very little. however this same dealer told me the 3560 will handle a 6 footer decently, just don't expect it to cut everything under the sun with no regard for cut conditions.

I have a scag 31 hp 72" cut zero turn. I'm sure after powering a 1500 lb mower in addition to the pto drive loss that the pto power is about 25 maybe a bit more. I have cut many pastures with my scag, will it bog in the heavier tall stuff, sure. but it's a finish mower with no real deck space to speak of.....but it will cut it. so my opinion is that the 3560 will do just fine if you want to use 6ft implements in the rear if it comes down to not having the coin for a bit more.

BoCoon

Mar 4, 2017
Old River Winfree, Texas

the biggest reason I took the 4060 over the 3560 is it wasn't much more at my dealer. like very little. however this same dealer told me the 3560 will handle a 6 footer decently, just don't expect it to cut everything under the sun with no regard for cut conditions.

I have a scag 31 hp 72" cut zero turn. I'm sure after powering a 1500 lb mower in addition to the pto drive loss that the pto power is about 25 maybe a bit more. I have cut many pastures with my scag, will it bog in the heavier tall stuff, sure. but it's a finish mower with no real deck space to speak of.....but it will cut it. so my opinion is that the 3560 will do just fine if you want to use 6ft implements in the rear if it comes down to not having the coin for a bit more.

My dealer is running about $3000 more for the 4060 over the 3560. They actually don't have a 4060 onsite (closest one is 2 hours away). The 4701 is priced close to the 3560. Being able to afford it is not the biggest issue as much as the value per dollar. I don't want to spend extra money on something I don't need. I've already increased my budget since I started. I initially was convinced the 3901 was what I needed, until I started looking closer at things such as the steering linkage style and some extra steel in places. The weight of the 3560 is what really impressed me over the 3901. Not sure where all of the extra weight is coming from. Wasn't sure how the 3901 would hold up over the years compared to the other models.

dotcop690

Equipment
KUBOTA L3560, LA805 LOADER, 6' BOX BLADE, 6' BUSH HOG, GRAPPLE, TILLER
Dec 28, 2016
United States

I have a 3560 with a 6' bush hog. I haven't had it in any really bad and thick stuff. I'm picky on what I bush hog.

BoCoon

Mar 4, 2017
Old River Winfree, Texas

Anyone had any experiences on how a GST trans vs HST compares when it comes to available power? Say as in running the loader into a pile or maybe dragging a heavy log out of the woods. I started out dead set on the HST, but haven't given the GST a fair shot yet.

Redlands

Sep 16, 2016
North Central Oklahoma

I have a L3660. Only advantage I see in your 4701 is pto horse power for your brush hog work. And with the stall gaurd setting on the L3560 I am not sure the extra pto power on the 4701 will really make much difference. Personally after a lot of research before I bought. Some hands on experience over the years. And now with over 240 hours in 4 months on the L3560 I think you will be much happier with the L3560

BoCoon

Mar 4, 2017
Old River Winfree, Texas

I have a L3660. Only advantage I see in your 4701 is pto horse power for your brush hog work. And with the stall gaurd setting on the L3560 I am not sure the extra pto power on the 4701 will really make much difference. Personally after a lot of research before I bought. Some hands on experience over the years. And now with over 240 hours in 4 months on the L3560 I think you will be much happier with the L3560

Thanks. That seems to be the general consensus among most folks here, so Grand L3560 it will be. I have three dealers nearby, I'll check with each. I'd appreciate any recent pricing anyone has. It's been a bit nerve racking narrowing it down... happy to start haggling now. Thanks to everyone for taking time to share your experiences and opinions. It's been great help!

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan

While you are checking out dealers, IMHO finding out from your friends and neighbors which one has the reputation for a good service dept is more important than saving a few hundred dollars in purchase price. I am betting if there are 3 within driving distance that you can get them all fairly close to each other (check price on Kubota's website and take about 10% off for a ballpark price.) Rapport with the salesman and/or owner is nice, but some insight into how good their techs are would be really important. Then get the owner's manual before the tractor is delivered and read it! Then you can ask questions when it is delivered.

BoCoon

Mar 4, 2017
Old River Winfree, Texas

Thanks sheepfarmer. Agree wholeheartedly. As everyone does, I've reached the end of the Internet looking up reviews and such. Some folks have commented that they have gotten quotes up to $2000 different between dealers on similar models. I find that hard to believe but I'll check just to be sure. My closest dealer has a good rep and I'll stay with them so long as it's close.

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri

Thanks sheepfarmer. Agree wholeheartedly. As everyone does, I've reached the end of the Internet looking up reviews and such. Some folks have commented that they have gotten quotes up to $2000 different between dealers on similar models. I find that hard to believe but I'll check just to be sure. My closest dealer has a good rep and I'll stay with them so long as it's close.

For many of us, you can't beat a good dealer. I drive about twice the distance to my dealer as the closets is just not very good. Mine charged nothing for initial deliver or pickup and return on any warranty issues. They have dropped off parts at my house if they had a truck coming to my area, one time they even took my son to their farm to show a piece of equipment not in stock on couple of occasions.

I recently wanted a piece of equipment they can't get, so they found one about 100 miles away and to save shipping costs, are going to pick it up when some techs attend training that lets them make a slight side trip on the way back.

I may have initially paid a bit more for the tractor, but saved in lots of ways in the long run.

KGB

Mar 11, 2017
Missouri
BoCoon I am in the same boat as you. Did you end up getting the 3560? What were you quoted? I was quoted 24k

BoCoon

Mar 4, 2017
Old River Winfree, Texas
I've checked with four dealers on the 3560 and 4701. Three of them have been by phone only until a few minutes ago. Prices were basically the same on all except for one dealer quoted $1700 less on the 3560. His price was $28,068 for 0% 60 month financing. That includes insurance. The other dealers can't match it and question if he's right. The dealer quoting it doesn't have one in stock and would have to order it. Very few grands in stock around here (southeast Texas). The dealer I just left does have a MX4800 hydro 4WD that he can get out the door for $30,000. That really has me thinking. It's a lot of tractor and would handle anything I do very well. That's $600 cheaper than the 4701. All prices I'm throwing out here include hydro, 2060/2072 land pride cutter and 4WD and Kubota insurance. The 3560 price is with the upgraded 805 loader.