L355ss wont start

Mondo

Equipment
L355ss, back blade, bush hog
Apr 17, 2017
NYS
I just got it last month and it ran great and started on 1st turn since then. Bush hogged yesterday ran great shut it off and today no go. When I turn the switch to activate glow plug it doesn't go red and the indicator dose not get warm. ( I do have the key on). It cranks good but wont start. This is my first diesel so Im, just learning the ins and outs. Any help appreciated Thanks

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Your glow plugs are probably not working. The indicator is also a resistor in the circuit. You should trouble shoot the circuit to see if you are getting voltage to the glow plugs. Search for solutions on this forum it has been discussed at great length.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mondo

Equipment
Apr 17, 2017
NYS
Thanks Russell. This is all new to me so I'll as you suggest. I'll keep you posted.

Mondo

Equipment
Apr 17, 2017
NYS
Update, it might have been me.
Was just checking the wires for voltage. Didn't really do anything special. Tried starting it again and it turned over beautifully. I was thinking by just removing the wires and and putting them back on maybe they was some corrosion on them.
Also I might have not pushed back the tractor shut off rod enough when I last ran it, but would that prevent the glow plug indicator from glowing red and not sending voltage to the glow plugs? Tough being a new diesel owner.. A lot to learn ( but its the simple stuff) Thanks again

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
...........I might have not pushed back the tractor shut off rod enough when I last ran it........
There it is ! the kill knob is very effective (that's why it's red ;) )

If the knob isn't all the way in, it can crank all day but it won't get any fuel so it won't fire.

Last edited:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Ok what are you calling the tractor shut off knob?
There is a decompression knob that pulls out. Use this to help start the tractor but not to stop engine.
There is a lever by your right knee that you lift up to shut tractor down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mondo

Equipment
Apr 17, 2017
NYS
That's the one by the right knee to shut off tractor.

Had a friend help me out and voltage wasn't the problem
I tried to duplicate the problem by pulling the shut off and trying to warm the glow plugs at the same time. The glow plug indicator got red and warm so that ruled that out.. Tried the shut off and noticed that is wasn't disengaging all that well when I would let go of it. cleaned up where it pivots and sprayed some graphite and its a lot better. Still cant figure why it wouldn't start before. I think I'll got with the corroded connection theory. Everything else seems ok.

Last edited:

rbargeron

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L5450, L48, L3250, L345 never enough attachments
Jul 6, 2015
western ma
Ok what are you calling the tractor shut off knob?........There is a lever by your right knee that you lift up to shut tractor down.
The L355ss has a red pull knob by your right knee that cuts the fuel, shutting off the engine. On earlier models it was a lift lever, later models got a fuel-cut solenoid activated by turning off the key.

Mondo

Equipment
Apr 17, 2017
NYS
The red pull knob is the one Im talking about. Sorry if I didn't explain it right. I couldn't duplicate the problem by pulling the red knob while heating the glow plugs. had no problem today started right up and used it for about 4 hrs. Hopefully it wont happen again. we'll see. Thanks for the help gents.