L35 - Lost Front Wheel Drive

WinnieCouple

Equipment
L245DT, razor brush hog, small disc, double bottom plow, 5' Turfline Box Blade.
Aug 1, 2011
Hico, Texas
Thanks for the tip Winnie.

I will definitely check the footprint on the gears and the backlash, but from what I gather it is not nearly as critical on the low speed driveline on the tractor as it would be on a car. I have done several 10 & 12 bolts and a few 9" so I am comfortable with this. I think you are right though, on this set up it should not be too tight or too loose.
true, it wont be "as critical" balance wise, but she'll sure get plenty of TORQUE, for LONG periods of time, where and when you'll be expecting the most out of it. Its always a good feeling to DIY and you can pat yourself on the back, knowing "I" fixed it, and its working like its supposed to.
PLUS, others on OTT get to learn from your fix.
THANKS.

LT1Pat

Apr 7, 2011
Lake Orion, MI
It seems as if I have a problem identical to Harley's. I have an L35 that stripped the pinion gears and when the front axle was disassembled the pillow blocks and the bosses on the axle were worn really really bad. My friend bored out the bosses to 2.5" for the smaller one and 3" for the big one and we're going to fit a bronze sleeve over the worn bosses and fill in the voids with rock crusher liner epoxy between the liner and the boss. The OD of bronze sleeve will become the new boss which will fit into the freshly milled pillow block.

The hardest part will be centering the the sleeve over the worn boss while the epoxy cures but both sides have a pilot that can be used as a guide. The epoxy is loctite nordbak which has a 7k psi compressive strength which is harder than concrete, I don't have any doubts that it will do the job since it will never act as a wear surface. I really don't want to spend $1200 on a new axle tube ($850) and a new pillow blocks ($350), after already spending $350 on a new pinion, ring gear, and bearings.

Last edited: