L3430 Run With No Oil

angelo c

Equipment
Couple a wheel barrows, shovels and beer
Dec 23, 2019
Neshanic NJ
Under what conditions specifically is it ok for any govt office to violate your "Rights" ...that's a loaded question because the only service above the law is the IRS...where you are guilty until you prove yourself innocent. I'm happy you dont seem to believe lugbolts direct experiences. But dont question a man without facts.

Oldawg

Equipment
Kubota L3130 w/loader, Ford 4500, IH 300U, Craftsman lawn tractors
Oct 20, 2012
Fort Myers, FL
This is terrible! If this video is anywhere near accurate, I think our government was WAY out of line to allow this! It was during Obama and Eric Holder's tenure and I wouldn't put anything past them. I don't believe such activities are going on now under Trump's administration.

claybreaker 144

Equipment
L3430, ZD28
Mar 2, 2019
Statesville, NC
Wow this thread took on a life of its own!
Got the motor out and apart. The only damage was 2 pistons scored. There was some deposits on a couple of main bearing journals but the machine shop said it came off during the polishing. Parts are on order, probably be a month before I have it assembled.
I followed the WSM for disassembly and the only thing that doesn't make sense is the draining of the transmission, my fluid had 60 hrs on it and all I had to do was cap the line that connect to the loader controls and it could have stayed in the transmission.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Wow this thread took on a life of its own!
Got the motor out and apart. The only damage was 2 pistons scored. There was some deposits on a couple of main bearing journals but the machine shop said it came off during the polishing. Parts are on order, probably be a month before I have it assembled.
I followed the WSM for disassembly and the only thing that doesn't make sense is the draining of the transmission, my fluid had 60 hrs on it and all I had to do was cap the line that connect to the loader controls and it could have stayed in the transmission.
Excellent to hear!
Curious, how much $$ do you think you'll have into it when you're done?

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Glad to hear it sound relatively minor given the circumstances.

Any chance you could post a picture of the damaged parts?

claybreaker 144

Equipment
L3430, ZD28
Mar 2, 2019
Statesville, NC
Excellent to hear!
Curious, how much $$ do you think you'll have into it when you're done?
I have about $1200 in parts on order, machining will be about $250, plus oils. 10 gallons of Super UDT2 will be about $200. Also having the clutch rebuild by Fort Wayne Clutch. Having the dash sandblasted while is it out. Will have it back together for around 2G.
I'm thinking of drilling the heads of the oil plugs so I wire them together as a security method.

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sounds like your right on track for the rebuild.

And I can't disagree with the safety wire on the oil plugs, I wouldn't want to have to worry about it again! ;)

200mph

Equipment
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Thanks for taking the time to post the picture of the skirt. It helps to put into context the amount of wear that took place.

Curious... Was the clutch worn or just rebuilding since it is apart? I trust you're at least putting in a new throw-out bearing. :D

claybreaker 144

Equipment
L3430, ZD28
Mar 2, 2019
Statesville, NC
Thanks for taking the time to post the picture of the skirt. It helps to put into context the amount of wear that took place.

Curious... Was the clutch worn or just rebuilding since it is apart? I trust you're at least putting in a new throw-out bearing. :D
Clutch wasn't bad looking but I did measure one rivet depth at .007 from the minimum spec and as long tractor is split I'm replacing everything. Too bad the throw out bearing doesn't have a grease fitting.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Clutch wasn't bad looking but I did measure one rivet depth at .007 from the minimum spec and as long tractor is split I'm replacing everything. Too bad the throw out bearing doesn't have a grease fitting.
Drill and tap it young man. LH drill to mitigate chips. reminds me of Kubota OEM tie rod ends. No grease fittings. Planned obsolescence at an inflated price ($175 bucks retail for each of mine), 55 aftermarket with a grease fitting. Live and learn.:)

200mph

Equipment
Mar 3, 2017
PA
It might be more than simply adding a grease fitting to the bearing. One needs to think about how to gain access to the the grease fitting through the housing... That might take a bit more effort. :eek:

I'm with you 100% on Kubota's top quality tie rod ends without a grease fitting and crazy price. The design (I cut one apart) is the cheapest way to make the joint, but unfortunately is not made for longevity. Simply to maximize profits while spitting in the face of the customer.

jtboney1

Equipment
L2501
Jul 11, 2018
Mobile, Alabama
This is terrible! If this video is anywhere near accurate, I think our government was WAY out of line to allow this! It was during Obama and Eric Holder's tenure and I wouldn't put anything past them. I don't believe such activities are going on now under Trump's administration.
I agree Oldawg. Trump would never do anything underhanded.;););)

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Throwout bearings never are greaseable, only the slide that the throwout bearing is attached too is is greaseable. ;)
Every big truck I've owned including the International Eagle Conventional I now own (3406 B with a 13 double over) had a grease fitting on the throwout bearing. Of course they also have an access plate on the bottom of the bellhousing to access the fitting (and adjust the clutch) as well..... Just saying.

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Drill and tap it young man. LH drill to mitigate chips.
Okay, I give up, why a left hand drill?

How can it possibly matter which twist drill you use affect how many chips are generated?

Drilling a given size hole through a piece of metal is going to generate the same amount of chips no matter which direction the drill rotates.

200mph

Equipment
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Okay, I give up, why a left hand drill?

How can it possibly matter which twist drill you use affect how many chips are generated?

Drilling a given size hole through a piece of metal is going to generate the same amount of chips no matter which direction the drill rotates.
Sidecar assumes you were in the northern hemisphere and felt the left hand drill would mitigate the Coriolis forces acting on the chips. :)

tempforce

Equipment
B2650HSDC
Jun 23, 2012
bastrop, tx
my L3200 had the same thing happen. after about 20 hrs of use after the drain plug issue the main bearings started knocking.. requiring a engine rebuild. fix the engine before it gives out or it will cost you more...

after the repairs they let me know that the copper/brass washer on the drain plug. needs to be replaced each time the plug is removed...

Last edited:

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
Sidecar assumes you were in the northern hemisphere and felt the left hand drill would mitigate the Coriolis forces acting on the chips. :)
I guess that's as good of an explanation as any.
Guess I'd better buy a set of left handed drill bits.
I wonder if you can get them in cobalt?