L3430 Run With No Oil

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Typically when they seize, the rods get seized to the crankshaft and the main bearing journals also seize to the block (crank bore). When this happens, a lot of times you can let it cool and fire it back up. BUT....if that's the case, the bearings are severely damaged, likely the crankshaft, possibly the rods, potentially the pistons/cylinders as well, maybe the cams and tappets, perhaps an issue with the injection pump as well since the delivery valves run in engine oil. All that said, since the wear is already there, the clearance between the rods and crankshaft will continue to increase. With excess clearance, you start to hear the rod(s) hammering against the crankshaft and potentially the crankshaft hammering itself against the main bearing bores of the block (and perhaps the pistons rattling around in the bores). Over time, the rod bearings will stack and eventually just fall out then the steel rods are riding directly against the crankshaft, clearance opens up to about 4 mm or so (about 100x what it should be), and eventually the rod(s) will be so loose that the hammering action while running will actually cause stresses to the rods which it wasn't designed for, it breaks, and parts of it exit the crankcase, destroying the crankcase and about every single part of the engine will have some sort of damage.

As of right now, based on what you're saying, it's running albeit noisy. So it hasn't self-destructed YET.

That's one of the downsides to the internal combustion piston engine. When something goes wrong internally it usually results in catastrophic failure which is mostly irreparable; yet easily replaceable with a new engine. That said, a new engine is kinda expensive. A new engine is also a royal pain in the neck to get. You have to jump through hoops (thanks to the EPA) to get one, if it's still available, if not you'll have to settle for one that's somewhat similar, and make the changes to "make it work". Trust me...been through this a BUNCH of times with Kubota and the EPA; it ain't no fun. Repairing one is a lot less headache as long as it's salvageable, but more "work". I'm an engine and transmission guy so I like rebuilding them. Replacing is sometimes a better option but now with the EPA regs, replacement is a last resort.

If you had KTAC, they'd probably cover it, $250 and you are driving around with a brand spanking new engine and the dealer gets to "play" with the EPA and Kubota, not you. You might also get your old engine back for parts but it'll have a big hole drilled through it rendering the block useless, per EPA/Kubota.

JerryMT

Equipment
Kubota M4500, NH TD95D,Ford 4610
Jun 17, 2017
The Palouse - North Idaho
This summer my wife was bush hogging the neighbors field and one of the engine oil drain plugs fell out our 3430. The tractor was run until it stalled, restarted and traveled a short distance stalled again. I was called to the tractor, started it and shut it down immediately sensing the issue. We followed the oil path (at least 1000 feet) and found the drain plug. Replaced the plug added new oil and the tractor started right up. I changed the oil and filter, that was 60 hours ago. Tractor has a more noticeable clack to it and I see a slight blue tint in the exhaust once in a while but other than that it hasn't faltered with tilling, bushhogging and loader work. I have some time to put into this now that I am retired and started by performing a compression check and all cylinders hit 400 lbs with 4 puffs and topped out at 480-470 after 14 puffs. This looks to be within specification tolerance of min 370 lbs and 10% between cylinders.
I don't know whether to leave well enough alone or start to look at the lower end. The tractor has 1565 hrs on it, I have no plans to get ride of it. I've rebuild a few gas motors and a couple of 6.2 GM diesels and IH 6.0 so I'm sure I can do a good job if I tackle a complete overhaul. Any opinions on what will happen with this down the road if I don't do anything? Can the crank and rod bearing be replaced by dropping the oil pan? Thanks
Doing a compression tests was a good start. I agree with those folks who recommend an oil analysis ASAP with a follow on test after an oil/filter change and maybe 20-30 hours of operation. That will give you an idea of the deterioration occurring on an hourly operating basis. (What will cutting open a filter tell you quantitatively?) At that point depending on what you find you may decide to continue operating or you may decide that an overhaul of the bottom end needs to be dome ASAP. I have never used oil analysis but that may even recommend an overhaul.
Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Last edited:

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
Not going to disagree with any of the comments above as most are correct for what can happen in a total failure. However, yours is not at this stage. Loss of oil pressure will always start with the destruction of the rod bearings. No load and engine can run for a surprising length of time. A fully loaded semi will last about three seconds before the rod ventilates the block. You are somewhere in between. Flakes in the oil are the early stages of the bearing loosing the soft wear coating. You have a good chance of saving this engine if you stop running until you can inspect the rod bearings and lower cylinder bores. If no damage to crank/ bores I would replace rod and main bearings and put it back together. In the bores you are looking for aluminum deposits from the piston.
If you are unsure of what you see in the bores pull the head and inspect the upper section. Crank needs to be in good shape and only require a hand polish to return to a new like finish, no scoring or blue spots.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
This summer my wife was bush hogging the neighbors field and one of the engine oil drain plugs fell out our 3430. The tractor was run until it stalled, restarted and traveled a short distance stalled again. I was called to the tractor, started it and shut it down immediately sensing the issue. We followed the oil path (at least 1000 feet) and found the drain plug. Replaced the plug added new oil and the tractor started right up. I changed the oil and filter, that was 60 hours ago. Tractor has a more noticeable clack to it and I see a slight blue tint in the exhaust once in a while but other than that it hasn't faltered with tilling, bushhogging and loader work. I have some time to put into this now that I am retired and started by performing a compression check and all cylinders hit 400 lbs with 4 puffs and topped out at 480-470 after 14 puffs. This looks to be within specification tolerance of min 370 lbs and 10% between cylinders.
I don't know whether to leave well enough alone or start to look at the lower end. The tractor has 1565 hrs on it, I have no plans to get ride of it. I've rebuild a few gas motors and a couple of 6.2 GM diesels and IH 6.0 so I'm sure I can do a good job if I tackle a complete overhaul. Any opinions on what will happen with this down the road if I don't do anything? Can the crank and rod bearing be replaced by dropping the oil pan? Thanks
I believe if catastrophic engine failure was likely to happen it would have already occurred in the 60 hours of operation youve continued to run it.
I agree that some damage has certainly occurred but SIXTY hours is a long proving period that imminent/catastrophic failure at this point is less likely. Certainly the engines life-span has been distinctly shortened, and you must now decide whether to keep operating it as-is or to shorten the timeline to overhaul and do it now. I dont believe you are looking at self-destruction or itd have already happened in 60 hours, and you can rebuild it now or perhaps years down the road.
Oil analysis is most useful when its done on a regular, consistent basis for the purpose of tracking trends in engine wear and to help predict maintenance requirements. Sending one sample to the lab now will only tell you what you already know, you have increased wear metals circulating in your engine. A better use of oil analysis would be to send a sample now, and then regularly at intervals to see if your engine is heading for destruction or has stabilized its wear after the damage, for the purpose of making a decision as to whether to tear it down for overhaul now or if its stabilized perhaps to continue to operate.
The oil filter contents examination would be most useful if you still have the filter that was on the engine when the oil pressure loss was experienced. If thats the one still installed then youll likely find what particular items suffered damage, such as confirming bearing material, or piston material, etc. (I believe its logical to expect that we already know that, of course, but if only minor amounts are found you might be encouraged to continue operation (as opposed to large chunks). IE, its not going to be good and its not going to comfort you or help you make this decision unless large amounts of material are found.
Im amazed that some unknowledgeable operators will continue to run an engine after an oil pressure light/gauge indicates loss of pressure. My wife hit a deer in her new car on the second day of ownership. It crushed the front end and hood as the deer slid over the entire car at 50 mph. She was visiting our daughter in one town and needed to get to work in another town 100 miles away, so she just kept-on driving. It happened at 5AM so she waited until her lunch-period to call/tell me. She said the power steering quit but otherwise the car drove OK. I asked her what shed have done if her brakes had failed if/when the reservoir lost its brake-fluid or if the engine had overheated due to the damaged radiator. She hadnt thought of that, but remarked that since it was a new car it would probably be covered under warranty?
I told her No. How could the OEM be blamed for continuing to operate with a damaged automobile?
I wonder if your wife received a low oil pressure light while she was shredding, and what she was thinking that meant? (Dont respond to my rhetorical question, Im just commenting on how some operators will continue to operate even tho indications are that something is wrong. Im amazed my wife continued to drive.) :confused:

LUgbolt, Im curious as to exactly what interaction you experienced with EPA? Are you saying you personally got interference from EPA because you were trying to repair your engine? Or, are you saying you were TOLD that by the dealer/supplier of your replacement engine.
I find it difficult to believe EPA would have any jurisdiction over a repair/replacement of an existing engine with an identical engine/parts.
If, however, you or the dealer/supplier was attempting to upgrade to a later model engine (such as one with TIER certification) and were attempting to install it in an older tractor hoping you could disable or delete that TIER equipment, then Id understand that would be a violation of regs.

Last edited:

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
A little STP or Lucasoil and it will be ready for Craigslist or trade on a new machine at a different dealer!

Its harder to sell after you blow the motor. I dont know any specifics on your machine like age and condition so I cant comment on whether it’s worth spending $5K rebuilding it.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
GeoHorn, the EPA does have some authority (and imposes it) with regard to older engines.

A couple of years ago I started a thread when I got an 825 BobCat and started bringing it back to life. It had a Perkins 4108 engine in it with a cracked sleeve, and other problems. I tried to find a replacement engine, but didn't.

Someone saw the thread and had the same machine needing an engine. He bought and paid for the engine to be shipped from NZ. When the engine got to the East Coast, he said it got to within 100 miles of his place and it was put on hold. the delivery company made him aware the EPA would not allow an old (pre tier IV) engine to be shipped in. I don't know it he ever got his money back, but he did not get the engine. It did not meet modern engine standards.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
A little STP or Lucasoil and it will be ready for Craigslist or trade on a new machine at a different dealer!

Its harder to sell after you blow the motor. ...
I hope to remember never to buy anything from you.

GeoHorn, the EPA does have some authority (and imposes it) with regard to older engines.

A couple of years ago I started a thread when I got an 825 BobCat and started bringing it back to life. It had a Perkins 4108 engine in it with a cracked sleeve, and other problems. I tried to find a replacement engine, but didn't.

Someone saw the thread and had the same machine needing an engine. He bought and paid for the engine to be shipped from NZ. When the engine got to the East Coast, he said it got to within 100 miles of his place and it was put on hold. the delivery company made him aware the EPA would not allow an old (pre tier IV) engine to be shipped in. I don't know it he ever got his money back, but he did not get the engine. It did not meet modern engine standards.
I can see an imported engine being investigated by Customs and EPA being notified. I just can’t believe EPA monitors engines within the 48 states and where they are bought/sold/shipped.

angelo c

Equipment
Couple a wheel barrows, shovels and beer
Dec 23, 2019
Neshanic NJ
I'm pretty sure there's damage internally based on what you are hearing

remove the oil filter and cut it open. what do you see inside of it?
Sorry folks,
New guy chiming in....do y'all do "Oil analysis" on these tractors or is it just an airplane thing ? Id like to see what types of metallurgical particulates are floating around an engine before I "pull it" to see what metals are floating around in its crankcase ?
Checking the oil filter will only show you "large" visible stuff...

Rcflyer330

Equipment
Kubota B2650 Cab, B2779 Broom, B2782B Snowblower, RB1672 rear blade
Oct 14, 2019
Traverse City, Michigan
Sorry folks,

New guy chiming in....do y'all do "Oil analysis" on these tractors or is it just an airplane thing ? Id like to see what types of metallurgical particulates are floating around an engine before I "pull it" to see what metals are floating around in its crankcase ?

Checking the oil filter will only show you "large" visible stuff...
Well that is up to you. I was doing them on my car and boat for a few years. I learned some interesting information about idling for long periods. I may do them on my tractor just as another oil change record and to see whats the oil and engine is doing. A lot of problems can be detected in an oil analysis before become a major issue.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
In conjunction with the EPA, when a +25hp diesel engine is replaced, the removed engine MUST have it's destruction documented. They (Kubota) will not sell you a new engine unless the proper documentation is provided; and it is strict. This entails engine serial numbers, pictures, and a big hole drilled through the block so that it can never be used again. The process is as follows: Get the documentation which outlines the strict guidelines. Take pictures of serial number and valve cover sticker. Drill big hole through the block exactly (and they won't accept it if it's not EXACTLY like the guidelines), take pictures of the hole in the block with the engine serial number in the same picture, etc etc etc. Then you go back to dealer with said pictures, they'll upload them to Kubota, wait for kubota to approve (or deny) it, and then they might ship you a new engine.

IIRC all of the manufacturers are doing it a few years.

Some companies were doing the same thing but they were "fudging" the "drilled hole" such that it could be "fixed". I prefer to sleep at night, thus done by the book. It costs me a couple drill bits every time I gotta go through this, or more specifically it costs the consumer if not a warranty deal. I have experience with the government and they don't play by the "rules"; more specifically they make up the rules as they see fit, meaning they can show up at any time and make your life miserable for years. Ours was not EPA related; but it doesn't matter. I still have nightmares and it's been almost 10 years. When about 20 people storm the place with automatic weapons and you have no idea who they are or why they're there, you tend to re-think things. They didn't even identify themselves for an hour or so. They don't have to unless they're "law enforcement", and in this case they aren't classified as "law enforcement", or so the attorneys said. In other words, above the law. That's our illustrious government at work and EXACTLY why I don't trust any of them.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I employ Blackstone Labs every other lube oil change and every fluid change on the transmissions and the coolant.

If anything, my TBN numbers always indicate I can run my change frequency out farther than I do but oil is cheap, so I don't.

Modern oil formulations have really extended the life of lubricating and hydraulic oils.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
. I have experience with the government and they don't play by the "rules"; more specifically they make up the rules as they see fit, meaning they can show up at any time and make your life miserable for years. Ours was not EPA related; but it doesn't matter. I still have nightmares and it's been almost 10 years. When about 20 people storm the place with automatic weapons and you have no idea who they are or why they're there, you tend to re-think things. They didn't even identify themselves for an hour or so. They don't have to unless they're "law enforcement", and in this case they aren't classified as "law enforcement", or so the attorneys said. In other words, above the law. That's our illustrious government at work and EXACTLY why I don't trust any of them.
Getting me to believe the EPA will show up with a storm of weapons will take some photographic evidence. Methinks someone is either a conspiracy-nut or is someone who is in a dubious business and either needs some govt folks to come visit or a bigger manure-spreader.

Last edited:

CobraTom

Equipment
L5030, L3430, L4310, L3410, B3030 , R510 currently..
Sep 19, 2011
Ontario
I have some experience with blown d1703s
Owned a l3430 that ran out of oil similar to you but it was through the oil filter after a puncture.

The surprise was the rod bearing were not that bad, what died was the cam bearings to the point the camshaft gear broke off.

What I strongly recommend is dropping the pan (it can be done but difficult on a l3430 without pulling the engine/splitting the tractor) and look at/replace the rod bearings. If they are bad but not terrible, replace them. If they are really bad, pull the motor and rebuild.
Cheapest I have seen them is here, new and no core charge
https://www.surpluscenter.com/Engin...a-D1703-M-BG-ET01-Diesel-Engine-28-1904-D.axd

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Getting me to believe the EPA will show up with a storm of weapons will take some photographic evidence. Methinks someone is either a conspiracy-nut or is someone who is in a dubious business and either needs some govt folks to come visit or a bigger manure-spreader.
I can get it without issue, posting it without "permissions" might be risky.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Ok since most of ya don't believe that the feds can do whatever they want, I'll share pieces and parts of my experience with 'em.

Years ago I worked for a dealer in Arkansas that was hit. I was under an M5040 pulling the pan; owner was having issues with getting it started, ether'd it to start it when cold, course that bent the rods and broke the ring lands. I'm pulling bolts while the pan's dangling and some dude is hollering for me to get out from underneath. I'm figuring it was a customer needing something since I was a working service manager. I said "hold on a minute". Then a few seconds later I see the business end of a rifle and knew at that moment it was time to let the pan go and get out from under it. Trust me, you would too.

So this person had 16 others with 'im. We had 12 employees including the bosses. They lined us up facing away from the front windows of the building, execution style, at gun point. They were behind us, none of us could see their faces and at one point I questioned them "who are you and what do you want?". Response, and directly quoted, "you be quiet and WE will ask the questions.". This went on with their questions and our cooperation for about 4 1/2 hours. Our personal belongings were taken; including cellphones, knives, CC weapons, all of the landlines were shut down and they had some little box that plugged inline between the phone and the cord. Each of the 11 computers was unplugged, all of the network cables removed, and then a box of some sort was installed inline with the network cables. They had some sort of USB device, a box roughly 2" wide and maybe 3" long that they had plugged into each computer, I assume to search the drives? I don't know. I'm a tractor mechanic not an IT guy. After things calmed down a little bit, we (most of us with the exception of the office ladies who were still hysterical) started to ask questions. My coworker said "when do I call an attorney?" Person in a dark colored windbreaker says "you can call them but it won't do any good.". I then said, "I need to call the police.". Another person (female) said "you can't call them". So at this point, as someone whose scared and unable to make heads or tails of the situation, I said "identify yourselves or free us". The one big female agent pulled it's jacket back a little and on the upper left chest area read "police". On the back, I just caught a glimpse "IRS POLICE". So at this point I know who they are, and I know that they never read us any rights so I'm detained by police illegally; we were never placed under any type of arrest, yet if we tried to leave or walk away from our execution-style lineup, we were forcefully told to either sit down and shut up or they would take "further action". Also, since we were not under arrest, we all became belligerent in the questioning of why they were there and when we were to be released. There was no direct answer; only that "we will ask the questions and you will answer them". I had to pee something fierce after drinking tea in the morning before work, and I told the agent in front of me of it. Agent says "you will go when I allow you to". So I'm thinking I'm just going to have to pee in my pants (work clothes). I told agent of it and agent agreed with 2 others that it would be ok to let me go to the bathroom. I get to the bathroom door, supervised of course, I reach around to close the door, nope. Agents (2 of them) said leave the door open. So I stood there and peed with 2 agents one female one male watching me. You ever had someone stare at your junk while you're peeing? Aint no fun. Went back to line while being questioned with the others. An hour later one of the office ladies had to poop. Accompanied by 2 male agents, she did her thing in the bathroom while the agents were watching her, during and after, she was bawling her eyes out. She was just 17 years old at the time. VERY sharp minded; did her job EXCELLENT. The other office lady was 37 fixing to be 38 in a couple days; same experience, she had to pee but was accompanied by agents. She actually was scared so much that she peed on herself during the raid. She quit a few weeks after and I don't blame her. So by now things have calmed down somewhat and we got to actually speak to the agents. Turns out that the agents were flown in from all over the country. One of the female agents was from California, another from Washington State. One of the male agents was from Boston, Mass. Another from S. Carolina and one from Alabama. So my boss's wife was out there with us answering questions and told the agents (as a whole) that since were were not arrested and not read any rights, they had no right to hold us against our will. The response from the blonde female agent was "We are the federal government, we can do whatever we want.". --That is a direct quote, by the way.

Just so you people know, the IRS "police" were after records, had zero to do with taxes (people think that the IRS is all about taxing). Absolutely nothing to do with taxes. Because of the ongoing ordeal, I can't talk too much about what they were after--but you can look at the video in the link and you will see the experiences that 2 local companies (one of which I worked for) went through, and it was not just those two....there was Gibson, and a slew of others, who went through EXACTLY the same crap. In our case, NOTHING was proven, boss plead guilty to ONE (of many) counts, because they were SET UP for it. I was on the showroom helping another customer when the undercover agent made the statements that set us up for it. Basically it has to do with the amount of money and how it's handled. The agent (an african-american male) came in, walked over to her directly (passed me and the two salespeople right up, as if he knew she was there), walked up to her and said "I want to buy this motorcycle right now with cash and no paperwork.". Keep in mind, this was a $14,400 motorcycle so there HAD (legally) to be some paperwork to be filed. She advised the agent of such but the agent said no, I will pay you $9900 in cash right now, and will have my girlfriend bring the rest tomorrow at which time I will take delivery. That is a setup and a lot of you know why. The man handed her a bunch of $100 bills on the spot, he didn't even know if the woman was a salesperson or what. Of course if you are handed $10k in cash, you hold it before giving it back, and the smell and feel of cash is alluring, so she says "lets go into the office and do a bill of sale and fill out the warranty registration.". At that point they walked off and I was still helping another customer on the showroom.

Watch this video. It'll give you a half way idea of what the feds will do, how they treat people, and their lack of caring and respect for the same people that pay their wages:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFALonjLay0

Jan Morgan actually ran for governor, didn't have a chance, but I'm glad she put the video out there. I asked her to edit out my parts which she did respectfully. I'm not a media person, I hate the press, I hate the way they do things, but this video that Jan did was on point, every.single.detail was exactly reenacted, to the tee.

So I spoke with a former owner of a diesel shop up the road who also got hit; they were looking for records of "deletes", basically wanted all of their work orders for the last 2 years. They had deleted a bunch of fleet trucks for the gas/oil companies (F250/6.4), I think they had 33 of them done. The Feds fined them about $10k for each one directly, and then fined the company (who owned the trucks) roughly that much for each truck that was modified, then fined the shop's owner a ton of money--he had to close up shop and sell everything he owned to pay for part of the fines. He now lived in a rented trailer house and is unable to travel, vote, own a firearm, leave the country, can't serve on a jury, lost parental rights, can can never work in that industry again. A felony conviction strips you of a lot of rights some of which are listed above. All because of "delete kits" which he had proof and signed agreements that they (owners) would not use them for on-highway use. It doesnt' matter, those signed work orders are as worthless as the paper they're written on, apparently.

Sounds far-fetched don't it? I WENT THROUGH IT, and those are my experiences. The fed has ALL jurisdiction, and they will make up the rules as they see fit at the time, and "there is nothing you can do about it"--again a direct quote from a federal agent (when I was raided).

I still sometimes have a hard time during sleep; have nightmares of raids, etc by heavily armed agents. I haven't asked any doctor about it but I have talked to my dad & brother about it, they have same thing but theirs is from war, PTSD.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Well, Geo. what do you say?

I had something similar, although much milder, with RR detectives. They told me they had more authority then the Texas Rangers ( I was in Kansas, but I guess that was suppose to mean something to me). They could confiscate my truck, trailer and everything on and in them. Broke me of dealing with RR ties.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Lugbolt - - Holy Smokes that must have been scary!:eek:

30 years ago, EPA made a sweep around automotive-type shops in my area looking for floor drains that went to drywells. They call them Injection Wells, as they are a direct injection of contaminants into groundwater. Owners had to plug the drains right away, and got a hefty fine on the spot ($30K?)..

But those guys didn't come with guns drawn!! :eek::eek:

Last edited:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
Well, Geo. what do you say?

I had something similar, although much milder, with RR detectives. They told me they had more authority then the Texas Rangers ( I was in Kansas, but I guess that was suppose to mean something to me). They could confiscate my truck, trailer and everything on and in them. Broke me of dealing with RR ties.
I don’t have anything to say about anecdotal statements about Texas Rangers. (Except to say that Chuck Norris is a short OKIE and fake ranger and Gov. Abbott is an idiot-politician seeking votes to make him an honorary one.)

However I do know that most govt agencies are not regulated or governed by a different agencys internal rules. Why should they be?

My brother used to work for the state tax people (Tx Comptroller) and it was TRUE that he had more authority to walk into a business and confiscate the cash register and inventory than did the IRS. Why? Because the IRS has to send you certified letters to warn you of regulatory action and allow you to respond or correct the matter before they walk in on you. The state comptroller is not governed by the IRS rules. If you dont submit the sales taxes you collected from citizens you get a nasty surprise from the Comptrollers Office. If you dont submit your income taxes you get a long list of letters asking you nicely to come visit with them before they come visit with you.

As for lugbolts experience, his experience is very real to him, but he likely does not know what had already transpired between IRS/EPA and his employer before that raid. If his employer told IRS/EPA they’d better not try to arrest him unless they were armed—- it might explain why they thought they were entering a hazardous workplace. His recollection of the language and specific words of the agents and their alleged failure to identify might be influenced by the horrors of the moment. But if multiple witnesses to the event were to press charges against the actions it’s most likely that the agents would be penalized and their arrest (if any) would be disallowed by the courts. Certainly there are lots of bad cops. There are also lots of hot-heads with big-mouth/big-threats-issued often made in Arkansas. I know. I was BORN THERE.
I also was once a LEO (very short period because I also found many cop/co-workers without scruples and refuse to work in that arena.). I’ve witnessed cops with bad behavior under stress. It happens, especially in the heat of the moment. That’s why if a cop orders you to lay down in the mud thats what you should do with a “yes sir” and argue the point later in court.
And if a platoon of uniformed soldiers surround your home and order you to come out with your hands up thats also what you should do. Anyone who thinks he can stand off a platoon of professional U.S. soldiers with his home-arsenal will die like the fool he is. You can win your argument in-court but you will LOSE any firefight no matter how good and armed you think you might be. Ask Saddam Husseins sons.
If lugbolts employer smarted off to the agency that he’d shoot anybody who showed up to enforce regulations at his shop, then lugbolts argument is with his former employer for endangering him at work. (Or is with the unhappy ex-employee who falsly-accused/turned-in the employer.) Not with the agents charged with enforcing the law. (I once participated in a LE-raid in which our behavior was in response to a false-warning the proprietor was heavily-armed and dangerous. We arrived with weapons drawn, as would any sensible person.)
I always amazes me how many times big-mouths complain about others lack of respect for the law but then complain when the law shows up to do their job when big-mouth is the offender. (I’m not speaking of lugbolt when I speak of “big-mouith”.)
We (and lugbolt) only see PART of the story. The REST of the story either isn’t known and/or isn’t being or can’t be told. Don’t complain about OTHERS lack of respect for the law while your own behavior and speech promotes the same disrespect.
Best regards to all.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Kind of sorta like Lugbolt in a way. Lets just say mt wife is retired DOD, compliance and enforcement division with one of those 'secret' clearances. Been married to her 35 years now and there are things I will never know and don't want to know either. I will say what he says is the way it is. I go to watch from the outside and it's best to stay on the outside. She didn't make the big bucks pushing a pencil.

I'll leave it at that. Now like Sgt. Schultz..... I know noooooothing.