L3400 won't start

rum4

Sep 28, 2013
Ridgeway, SC
Today went to start the tractor and it won't start. Checked battery, fuses, fuel and all are good. Read somewhere that the fuel solenoid can cause the issue. Removed the solenoid and the tractor started, had to restrict airflow since the fuel solenoid was not connected.. Put the solenoid back on and it would start but then die immediately. I am thinking the fuel solenoid is bad or could it be the relay not supplying enough power to solenoid to get it to work? I did try the fuel solenoid after I removed it and the rod does not move when starting the tractor. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Please explain what you mean by 'won't start': will the starter turn at all or is it all completely dead?

Otherwise, it appears you've determined the machine will crank and run with the fuel solenoid disconnected.

Unsure what you mean about restricting airflow---the fuel solenoid is on-off, not a throttling device.

Try manually operating fuel solenoid and/or the engine operator.

Does your machine have a manual pull-knob shutdown cable?

Bench testing the solenoid might be tricky--may have two circuits: one to 'pull' and the other to 'hold'. Might need a wiring diagram to sort out which wire(s) on the solenoid do what.

Please post back with your experiences so we may all learn.

rum4

Sep 28, 2013
Ridgeway, SC
Please explain what you mean by 'won't start': will the starter turn at all or is it all completely dead?

THe tractor will turn over but will not start. The fuel solenoid is not engaging. The battery is brand new.

Otherwise, it appears you've determined the machine will crank and run with the fuel solenoid disconnected.

Unsure what you mean about restricting airflow---the fuel solenoid is on-off, not a throttling device.

Once i had it running with the fuel solenoid out I had to get the tractor to turn off so I engaged it into gear and stood on the brake which shit the tractor off.

Try manually operating fuel solenoid and/or the engine operator.

Does your machine have a manual pull-knob shutdown cable?

NO manual pull knob.

Bench testing the solenoid might be tricky--may have two circuits: one to 'pull' and the other to 'hold'. Might need a wiring diagram to sort out which wire(s) on the solenoid do what.

Please post back with your experiences so we may all learn.

I got the tractor to start and it ran fine. i even bushogged with it for 3 hours. Got up the next day, no start. The fuel solenoid is not clicking when the key is turned. Still no idea what to do next. I am thinking maybe the ignition switch?

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
From what you've posted thus far I'd leave the switch alone and start thinking the fuel shutoff solenoid ("..."it isn't clicking") is bad.

Try removing the solenoid and bench testing it. You'll need a wiring diagram to see how to arrange your jumpers to apply 12-vdc and ground.

You'd still need a wiring diagram but you could use a voltmeter to test continuity through the one (two?) coils (really need the wiring diagram). One thread here recently mentioned the coil should show 8-ohms if good and an 'open' circuit if bad. I can't confirm this in any way.

If you can get a start by manually manipulating the fuel shutoff solenoid then you've pretty much proved the solenoid is bad.

Try making a deal with your dealer to install the new part and keeping it if it works and returning it clean and shiny new if it doesn't.

Could have a safety interlock somehow involved but your description seems to point to the solenoid.

One poster here removed the solenoid linkage and used a pull-rope to open and close the pull-rod link on the machine end. Can't recommend doing so long-term but might help you diagnose the problem.

Please post back your experiences so we may all learn.

rum4

Sep 28, 2013
Ridgeway, SC
tested the solenoid and it works. Replaced the stop relay but still get same results. Some times the solenoid engages other times not. .Sometimes it starts, then dies. Sometimes it well run for a few seconds other times a few minutes. Most times I get no click from the solenoid.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Curious is you got this resolved and if so, how?

From you good description(s) it sure sounds to me like an intermittent failure of the stop solenoid---sometimes clicks, sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Even a bench test might not be definitive if it's misbehaving this way.

Can you observe the solenoid plunger in-and-out action as the key is turned on and off and you get a start or a no-start and, as you said, when it sometimes runs then dies?

You can take the solenoid out of the 'circuit' by taking the plunger connection loose and manually manipulating the 'lever' on the engine either by hand or by tying a cord to it. And then trying to get a start.

Please post back and advise that we may all learn.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The fuel solenoid shuts off fuel or engages linkage that controls fuel distribution.
The fuel solenoid is located around or on the fuel injection pump, different models of tractors have different models of fuel solenoids that work in different ways, some are passive and some are active.

Hai

Equipment
Kubota L3400 HST
Mar 2, 2014
Virginia
Thank you Wolfman. The more I read about fuel solenoid the more I think my tractor non-run problem may be related to the fuel solenoid. I always heard a click when when I turned on the key. But today when I turned the key to start, no click, only the sound of the starter turning. Can someone pinpoint where the fuel solenoid is located on the L3400HST? Many thanks.

Hai

Equipment
Kubota L3400 HST
Mar 2, 2014
Virginia
tested the solenoid and it works. Replaced the stop relay but still get same results. Some times the solenoid engages other times not. .Sometimes it starts, then dies. Sometimes it well run for a few seconds other times a few minutes. Most times I get no click from the solenoid.
Rum4, finally how did you get the tractor started? replaced the fuel solenoid and replay? Thanks. I am having the same problem.