L3400 Valve Stem Size?

MaverickH1

Apr 14, 2015
Virginia
Edited at the top of this so people can see the correect answer: The front wheels use a TR-416 valve stem, Milton's equivalent product is #470. Not sure about the rear wheels. Original post follows:

Good evening!

The time has come to finally replace my dry rotted and slowly leaking tires. I usually replace valve stems when I do tire changes due to dry rot, and a while ago I had ripped off one of the metal valve stems and a shop replaced it with a generic rubber one.

I was surprised to find that the Kubota Parts Fiche doesn't seem to have the Valve Stem called out anywhere, so I have no idea what part number it is, nor what size it is.

If I was getting one for my zero turn mower, I wouldn't mind a generic rubber one. But I ask this L3400 to do a bit more dirty work, so I'd prefer to stick with metal.

Does anyone know the rim hole size for the valve stem on both the front wheels and rear wheels? I'm using R4 tires with the factory R4 wheel sizes.

Last edited:

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
It is my understanding that valve stem diameter should be 0.453” or .625” these are the standard in North America for nearly all applications, there are different valves depending on pressure levels. This is the hole size in the rim.

MaverickH1

Apr 14, 2015
Virginia
I went outside and cut the rubber one off and punched it into the hole to measure it, don't know why I didn't think of that before. But it is definitely a 0.625" (5/8") hole size in the rim.

My commercial grade zero turn used a 0.453".

I think the tractors use a larger diameter hole for liquid filling capabilities.

I ordered Milton #469, style TR 618A valve stems as those seem to be specific to tractors, skid steers, etc. Hopefully it ends up being correct! They should get here at the same time as the tires, so hopefully I can be up and running for the weekend.

I'll probably weld on a valve stem guard on the front wheels just like the rear ones have for some extra security.

https://www.miltonindustries.com/air-liquid-valve-tr-618-a

Reactions: 1 user

MaverickH1

Apr 14, 2015
Virginia
The TR 618A that I ordered fits, but it is longer than the stock one, in other words sticks out further from the wheel and more eager to grab things and break. I originally broke the stock one when the wheel was rubbing against a log. So having even longer ones is no good. I will go ahead and install it and buy the proper one.

The stock one says "TR 416" on it. I will order Milton #470 to be the OEM size and install those if these break off.