L3400 Transmisson Hydraulic seepage noticed

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3400DT W/ LA463 FEL and L235DT W/ BF400 Loader
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland
I have a 2007 L3400, 170 hrs., and have noticed that a small amount of Hydraulic oil on the floor under the tractor. At first it was just a few drops months ago, but now seems to be leaving a spot on the floor. I've searched through my Manuals and think that the part is called a "Kit Plug". Don't really know the function as when I push the pin, nothing happens, but that's where it is seeping from. Any suggestions?

Ron

Attachments

scdeerslayer

Equipment
MX5200DT
May 23, 2016
SC
That looks like a clutch housing drain, for draining moisture from the clutch housing should any accumulate there. Are you sure it's hydraulic fluid and not engine oil? Either way the fix will probably require splitting the tractor.

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland
The oil seems to be too clean and clear to be engine oil. So, your speculation is that there may be an internal problem and is just draining from or through the clutch housing drain, a possibility I suppose. I'll have to look very closely again to see if it's just reaching the lowest point after oozing down the side from somewhere, but at first glance, no noticeable signs were seen.

Ron

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
You probably have oil leaking from the propeller shaft seal on the front of the transmission housing. The tractor has to be separated and the seal replaced. Should replace the input shaft seal and gasket also.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
You probably have oil leaking from the propeller shaft seal on the front of the transmission housing. The tractor has to be separated and the seal replaced. Should replace the input shaft seal and gasket also.

luckily on the standard L series, it's not as involved as doing a grand L. This issue was more common with the grand L's than the standard L's. It's still a little expensive to pay a dealer to do it, but it's definitely cheaper than a new tractor. The L2800/3400 propeller shaft is below the transmission-not inside the clutch housing, leaving only the trans input shaft to be the cause. If an HST trans, ask the dealer to inspect the HST really well-I have seen a charge pump fail and cause the seal to be blown out, which fills the clutch housing with oil.

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland
Thanks all for your replies and insights. Not exactly what I wanted to hear, but, it is what it is. And a FYI, not a HST, gear.

Ron

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS

luckily on the standard L series, it's not as involved as doing a grand L. This issue was more common with the grand L's than the standard L's. It's still a little expensive to pay a dealer to do it, but it's definitely cheaper than a new tractor. The L2800/3400 propeller shaft is below the transmission-not inside the clutch housing, leaving only the trans input shaft to be the cause. If an HST trans, ask the dealer to inspect the HST really well-I have seen a charge pump fail and cause the seal to be blown out, which fills the clutch housing with oil.
Oppppps, that is correct. I just did a Grand L two weeks ago and did not catch the Model number before typing. What realy bad is I have a L2501 split right now for PTO clutch replacement and it has the external prop shaft.