L3400 Cutting out

JCole

Equipment
L3400HST
Jan 16, 2012
Saint Louis, MO
Hello everyone,

My neighbor has a L3400Hst w/ 500hrs and lately it's been cutting out like it's running out of fuel... He purchased it new and it's been to the dealer several times and they said there's nothing wrong w/ it, as they couldn't mimic the problem he's been having.

The problem is when running, it'll stall out; like falling on it's face. It doesn't matter if your running 1200rpms or the squggly mark the dealer suggest to run at (w/ or w/o an attachment), it will eventually bog down. When it's doing it, you can throttle down to idle and then run it back up sometimes, but it don't always fix it. We have found what temporarily fixes it - is by emptying the fuel filter bowl and reinstalling it. The fuel filter is new too.

So, my question is there air in the lines or possibly water?

Thanks,

Jeff

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Check the bottom of the fuel tank and make sure nothing is clogging the fuel line from the bottom of the tank to the filter. Sometimes trash and debris gets down in there and it can be just small enough to restrickt the flow of fuel.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Oh might even need to drain the tank and blow the bottom of the tank out with an air compressor and get it cleaned out.

Sam427

Equipment
L3410 GST, FEL, Bush Hog, Box Scrape, Spreader
Nov 6, 2009
Snellville, Ga. USA
Look at the fuel filter bowl when it does it and see if it might be low. Check the fuel line and may sure it isn't collapsed somewhere. Could be a bad pump if it isn't clogged or any of that stuff.

JCole

Equipment
L3400HST
Jan 16, 2012
Saint Louis, MO
Thanks guys for the suggestions. I'll try cleaning out the tank and lines tomorrow and see what happens and post back.

However, what would cause the tractor to run fine again when the fuel filter bowl is removed/drained/reinstalled??? That's what's been stumping us.

Jeff

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Almost sounds like water in the fuel. By cleaning the filter out that would temporarily fix the problem. Have you ever tried any conditioner in it? Also check the fuel line from the tank to the filter. Make sure it doesn't have any wet spots anywhere. If it does, replace it.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
When you removed/drained/reinstalled the fuel filter tid you bleed off the air in the lines? Kinda sounds like you have air in the fuel lines.

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3400DT W/ LA463 FEL and L235DT W/ BF400 Loader
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland
When you removed/drained/reinstalled the fuel filter tid you bleed off the air in the lines? Kinda sounds like you have air in the fuel lines.
This was also my first thought and would of been my first point of diagnostic checking.

Ron

JCole

Equipment
L3400HST
Jan 16, 2012
Saint Louis, MO
I'm going over there in a bit to mess w/ it, but how how do you bleed off the lines? When we put the filter back on, the filter presses against a spring fitting and it automatically fills the bowl when you screw back on.

Thanks,

Jeff

lreops

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3400DT W/ LA463 FEL and L235DT W/ BF400 Loader
Dec 26, 2011
Rising Sun, Maryland

From my manual (L235);

Bleeding the Fuel Line:
Air must be removed:
1. When the fuel filter and piping are removed.
2. When Tank is completely empty.
3. After the tractor has not been used for a long period of time.

Bleeding Procedure is as follows:
1. Fill the fuel tank with fuel, and open fuel cock.
2. Open the air vent plug on the fuel injection pump.
3. Close the air vent plug when air bubbles disappear from the fuel flowing out.

Hope this may be of help.

Ron

JCole

Equipment
L3400HST
Jan 16, 2012
Saint Louis, MO
Well fellas,

I think we figured it out why it's been losing power... When I rinsed the tank, this sludge stuff came out. It looks like slime (See photo) almost. I guess when the fuel is being drawn, it settles to the bottom of the tank and is sucked against the screen/outlet? That's what we came up w/? What do you all think? Also, I never bled out any lines before on a diesel, so if I could ask one more favor/some assistance, I'd really appreciate it. Here's a few pics of my progress.

Thanks guys!!!

Jeff

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Yummy stuff. Looks like emulsified diesel/water, though it could just be sludge. Anyway my solution would be a quart or half-quart of acetone. Seal the tank holes, dump it in, shake it for 5-10 minutes and the pop the lid off and upend it. That oughta remove most of the sludge. Then change the fuel filter and the line between the tank and filter and then bleed the system. As long as the fuel filter kept the crud out of your injection pump you should be good to go.

JCole

Equipment
L3400HST
Jan 16, 2012
Saint Louis, MO
I just finished bleeding the lines and got it running again! It's running GREAT and my neighbor will be happy as can be!!! A little reverse engineering got me through this task, however, I'll stick to my day job as a merc mechanic... ;)

Thank you all for your time and your input w/ this and I'm sure I'll be back again seeking some advice on future endeavors. :cool:

Best,

Jeff

Swamper

Equipment
B7200HSTD RC60-72H
Nov 24, 2010
Punxsutawney, PA. USA
Hi JCole, It looks like you might have an algae problem. I would add some aglae killer to the tank and any stored fuel that you might have. We had this problem with an excavator. Had to drain the tank and flush it out. It will plug filters faster than you can change them. Larry

Swamper

Equipment
B7200HSTD RC60-72H
Nov 24, 2010
Punxsutawney, PA. USA
JCole, I should have mentioned that we bought the algae killer at NAPA. Probably any auto parts store would have it. We thought we had the problem solved, then a couple weeks ago we found a plugged fuel line on a torpedo heater that we didn't treat. Larry

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Does your neighbor have a storage tank or does he get it in jugs from a station? I would look at my fuel source real close.

JCole

Equipment
L3400HST
Jan 16, 2012
Saint Louis, MO
Swamper: He bought some jd conditioner today at the dealer. It says on the bottle summer blend... Lol I guess they were trying to reduce their inventory? What do you all suggest using?

Bulldog: I believe the fuel is purchased at a Phillips 66 down the road. He just fills his 5gal can every so often. No fuel storage. Are you thinking the station might have crap fuel?

Jeff

Swamper

Equipment
B7200HSTD RC60-72H
Nov 24, 2010
Punxsutawney, PA. USA
I believe the stuff we got at NAPA was actually called "KILL EM". It is specifically made to treat diesel fuel for algae problems. It cost about $20 for maybe a pint. Doesn't take much. I'm sure other companies make products that do the same thing..Once you get it cleared up, you shouldn't need to use it all the time.
That gunk in your picture lookes exactly like what we found. Hard to believe algae will grow in diesel, but it definitely will.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
I have seen cases where your trash comes direct from the fuel source. Smaller stations that don't sell much diesel are the worst. The longer it stays in their tanks the more likely the chance of algea and water issues.

My rule of thumb is buy fuel from a truck stop or station that does a lot of volume. It's better to maybe pay a few cents more and get the freshest fuel that's available.

Another thing to think about is the jug or can used to transfer the fuel. If you go buy fuel and pour it all in the tractor it really doesn't matter. If you leave some in the container it needs to be colored. Never use a clear or see thru container to store fuel in. The clear jug will allow algea to grow much faster than a colored jug.