L3301 Coolant Leak

Litgrep

Equipment
Tractor
Apr 3, 2016
Barton City
I've lost about a pint of coolant in the past 15 hours of operation. I notice it was low when I performed 50hr service and attributed it to block heater install. No noticeable leaks at any connections and no overheating. Is this normal or do I have to do a more thorough check of the cooling system?

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
I am very particular about coolant types and maintenance. With my L4060 it seems to take several warm up / cooling cycles to get the coolant level correct.
If the cooling system was opened for a block heater install I would check the radiator level and resevoir when cool and recheck after one or two cycles.

Litgrep

Equipment
Tractor
Apr 3, 2016
Barton City
Thanks everyone. I'm still thinking it may be an air bubble in there left over from the block heater install. Stays below midway on the heat gauge. I think I will heat it up and top off radiator. When I went to radiator at 50 hrs service it was cold. I'll keep an I on it. Thanks

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
They bleed themselves in about 30 seconds. Leave the cap off, start engine, let it run about 30 seconds, and it should be bled.

Not uncommon for some of them to have loose hose clamps. Some of them used el cheapo worm-drive clamps that won't stay tight. Replace with US made worm drive clamps, or better yet, T-bolt clamps made for intercoolers but don't over tighten them on the radiator because they can crush the plastic.

Normally if they leaked, it was either at the lower radiator hose or the hose where it connects to the water pump. One or two were at the thermostat housing, but those were rare.