L3240 50 Hour Service

Hook

Equipment
L3240 with LA514 FEL, Box Blade, Howard Rotovator, All Purpose Plow, Sub Soiler
Jul 6, 2010
Jackson, Georgia
Just purchased a used L3240 with 514 Front end loader on Saturday. The owner did not have the user's manual and I haven't had time to get one yet. This tractor has the GST transmission and about 70 hours. The previous owner said he had not had it serviced. I would like to go ahead and do that on my own but I need some advice on what to do (where are the drain plugs and what size are they, and where can I get the filters at a good price and what kind of filters do I need, etc.) I think I need the UDT fluid but how much and what kind and weight of engine oil is recommended? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Hi Hook, welcome to OTT.

I'm not sure about the placement of the drain plugs but they are usually pretty easy to find. You may even have more than one. My L 3000 has 3 or 4, I can't remember.
I use Amsoil Synthetic Oil in all the stuff that I own from my R/C cars all the way to my M 9000. You will get a bunch of replies to these questions with everything from Rotella to Super Tech from Walmart. I would say that about every oil out there is being used by a member of OTT and each one will tell you that their brand is the best. Basicly you will just have to make your own mind up.

As far as the filters go I'll give you this advise. I would stick with Kubota filters at least until ylou can do the research on the aftermarket brands. Just because a filter will cross reference over to a Kubota number doesn't mean that it has the proper level of filtration. It only means that it will fit.

Yes the UDT fluid will work but it does have Super UDT in it right now. If you go with UDT you may notice it being a little noisier, may not shift as smooth and may run just a little hotter. The Super UDT is semi synthetic so you get some advantage by using it just not as much as you will from full synthetic.

I use 5w30 engine oil and the hyd/trans fluid is 5w30/30. There is no need for 15w40 weight engine oil in you Kubota. All it will do is make you burn more fuel because it's harder for the oil pump to move it thru the engine.

If you want to hear more about what Amsoil can do for you now and years down the road just send me a PM and I will try to answer any question you may have, Bulldog.

Sam427

Equipment
L3410 GST, FEL, Bush Hog, Box Scrape, Spreader
Nov 6, 2009
Snellville, Ga. USA
I use Shell Rotella 15w40 in my L3410 GST, I think it was 5 or 6 quarts. I use Shell Donax TD in the hydro system, mine takes about 13 gallons. I use Napa Gold filters, they are allot cheaper, even cheaper if you buy them from Fleetfilter.com, you will need to go to the Wix site and look up your tractor and get the Wix part number to order them.

I think there are 3 large drain plugs on the trans in the center, at least 2. Then there should be 2 small drains at the bottom of the round area of the rear end, the outer area of the case on the inside, and at the very bottom. Oil gets trapped there because it is a low spot, it should be drained. Fill plug should be at the top of the rear end housing, and a glass site level at the lower part.

The engine pan will probably have a drain on each side, drain both.

Hook

Equipment
Jul 6, 2010
Jackson, Georgia
Thank you Bulldog and Sam. Sounds like I have a lot to learn.

Will In Tx

Equipment
L3400 HST/FEL, Box Blade, RTV 900 Camo, ZD323 Zreo Turn Pro Mower + More
Mar 21, 2010
Rosharon, TX. USA
If you want it looked at real well check where there is a service dealer near you and if they pick up tractors (free or not), if not let them go through it 1st.
ALWAYS make your dealer save you the part if it is bad!

Later on when your not in a bind you can do it yourself.

My 3 cents

KubotaTech

Equipment
None- I get to play with everyone elses stuff
Apr 1, 2010
PA
We were told to NEVER use anything but Super UDT in a GST transmission. I believe it may cause some problems with the automatic engagement/ disengagement of the GST clutch.

Hook

Equipment
Jul 6, 2010
Jackson, Georgia
I talked to a dealer yesterday about the service and ordering what I need. I ordered the Super UDT based on what I saw on this forum. Thanks again.

Sam427

Equipment
L3410 GST, FEL, Bush Hog, Box Scrape, Spreader
Nov 6, 2009
Snellville, Ga. USA
We were told to NEVER use anything but Super UDT in a GST transmission. I believe it may cause some problems with the automatic engagement/ disengagement of the GST clutch.
My 3410 GST does just fine with the Donax TD, in fact it works better than whatever was in it when I got it, have no idea who put what in it though.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
My dealer told me that all Kubota tractors and mowers come from the factory with Super UDT in them because they don't know where they will end up and what type of climate they will have to be worked in so they prepare them for the worst.